1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Astros....

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Refman, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

...inquire about obtaining Erik Bedard?

He is a lefty, 30 years old, 2.82 ERA, 1.19 WHIP.

I have no idea what the Mariners would want in return, but it couldn't be nearly as steep as the asking price for Halladay.

The downside is his $7.75M salary.

Any thoughts?

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Numbers look solid. He would be an upgrade from Ortiz or Hampton.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Way too injury prone. No thank you.

4. Refman

Then who would you suggest we target for a trade? Keep in mind that we do not have the trade pieces for Halladay.

5. Major

Major Member

How about not trading for anyone?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good luck contending down the stretch. No way the Astros are gonna be able to keep pace with the Cubs and Cardinals.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well pretty sure Jon Garland is available since he threw his team under the bus a few days ago..Reds are shopping Arroyo a change of venue would help him for sure...Pirates are unloading everyone so Zach Duke can be had maybe Ian Snell...Doud Davis is having a nice season cant imagine the D-backs will ask for a ton in return...Those are the type of names will have to inquire about to keep up.

8. Refman

I believe that the Russ Ortiz we saw tonight is an omen of things to come from him. I always had doubts that he would hold up in the latter part of the season.

In short, I think that going forward you are hoping to contend with a wink and a prayer every 5 days.

9. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Brad Penny - boston has so many starters, and he's affordable at 5 mil.

Ian Snell and Paul Mahom seem likely to be available...

Odalis Perez?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who do you give up for those players though? And Im not sure on this but isnt Odalis Perez a FA?

11. rockets934life

I would be all in for Snell hoping for a turn around same with Garland or Arroyo...Doug Davis intrigues me very much seems like it would be identical to the Wolf trade from last year...Id start by offering Brian Bogusevic are outfield is stacked and doesnt look like we will be needing him unless someone gets hurt.

12. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Yes Perez is a free agent, and given his strange minor league contract ordeal earlier this year he could be had on the cheap.

As far as the price, I wouldn't touch Castro, Bud or Lyles but maybe Bugosevic? Seaton? Paulino?

13. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

clarified

14. rockets934life

NO TO SEATON!!! Unless you going for a big boy pitcher you dont even think about it...Paulino scares me because he seems like another Wandy...when he gets it then he will REALLY get it!

Bugosevic and Towles are the guys that could get you a decent 3 or 4 starter with salary and be easier to part with.

15. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I like Seaton too, but to receive you've gotta send some value. Towles is inevitably going to part of the deal (in my hypothetical managing) and I wouldn't flinch about losing Paulino either if it nets a Penny, Snell, Bedard, Davis, etc.

16. rockets934life

Seaton just seems to me as a potential top of the rotation guy down the road and for Halladay or Lee sure agree you have to give up something to get something but not for guys with ERAs in the fives. Now saying that if the Mariners said give us Seaton, Towles and Bugosevic for Bedard I would have to think about it because he has had health issues but this year he has been solid and going from the AL to the NL will only help...He COULD be the kinda guy that could change a race if he stays healthy!

17. rockets934life

/\ That.....NEVERMIND

Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times reports that reports that Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik and manager Don Wakamatsu "caught up" with pitcher Erik Bedard after today's game, saying that they feel he may be hurting after seeing how many pitches it took him to put batters away.

"You watch little signs on the mound," Wakamatsu said. "Really, the result tells you a lot with a guy that has that good a stuff,'' Wakamatsu said. "It was necessary to have that discussion afterwards. I know he doesn't want to say that anything's bothering him. But we'll find out tomorrow in more detail.''

There is no MRI planned as of now, but Wakamatsu says the team will check back in with Bedard tomorrow to see how he feels. If he is in fact hurt and the injury is serious enough, it couldn't come at more inopportune time for Seattle. With the trade deadline just under six full days away and the team struggling, Bedard figured to be the club's best trading chip.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Pass on Bedard.

Target Zach Duke of Pittsburgh.

19. rockets934life

LOVE IT...I think Pittsburgh would ask for Norris....So would you do this trade:

Norris-Towles

For

Zach Duke
    W-L ERA K BB
    9-9 3.42 74 34

I say yes...these numbers are bascially Norris' ceiling!

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

he's having a career year, had stunk prior, and seems to be showing his old self the past month or so. i guess i'd take him vs. standing pat, but would be willing to give up next to nothing for him.