1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Astros be moved to another division?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by StupidMoniker, Aug 5, 2007.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Since the NL Central has 6 teams and the AL West has 4, and since the Astros are the westernmost team in the NL central, should they be moved to the AL West? That way every division would have 5 teams. Just something I was pondering as I looked at the standings today.

2. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Can't do that; something about unbalanced scheduling (forgot the reason).

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That means there would have to be an interleague game every day of the season or else 2 teams would be off every day of the season.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This was talked about when they did realignment. As I recall, McLane was hard against such a move as it would kill any rivalries we had created over the years (Braves, Mets, Reds).

I doubt they will move any more teams to different leagues again.

5. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

going to the west coast and playing all these 9 o'clock games doesnt' sound to appealing

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but aren't you a Yankees fan? You wouldn't understand this. If the Astros went to the Junior Circuit and started playing gimmick ball, I would find another team to root for. MLB wanted to move the Astros to the NL West, but McLane said not to because of the additional Pacific Time Zone road games.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

AL baseball and the DH is so boring compared to the NL, so i certainly would vote against this. take that **** away and let all the teams play under the same rules.

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It wouldn't be a problem if there weren't a stupid DH rule.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

As mentioned, if you had 15 teams in each league, you'd have to have at least 1 interleague series going on a time. The MLB obviously didn't want this and decided to put 16 teams in the NL and 14 in the AL. It used to be 14 in both leagues with both West divisions having 4 teams. But Tampa Bay and Arizona joined in 1998. The didn't want Tampa in the NL because Florida was already there and for some reason, they didn't want to put Arizona in the AL too, so they moved Miluakee to the NL.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Forgot: The decision was that one team from the AL Central had the choice to move to the NL Central. The first offer went to Kansas City who elected to stay in the AL. The option to switch leagues was then offered to Milwuakee who accepted. If they had refused, the move would have been offered to Minnesota.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Yeah its really a blast to watch pitchers hit. Let me tell you, i've really been dying to see Wandy Rodriguez and Ian Snell square up on Ben Sheets and John Smoltz. I just get all jittery with anticipation for those match-ups.

12. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

thats not really the point... its the late inning situations that make it interesting... should you take out your SP when hes doin good to put a PH in for more runs etc... its real baseball

13. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

That would be more balanced, but the Rangers are already in the AL West. They're not going to put both Texas teams in the same division.

14. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

I also like the NL because their pitchers actually have the balls to hit for themselves.

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Yeah, real interesting.....

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It would NOT be balanced unless MLB decides to drastically change the interleague format. With an odd number of teams in each league, there would have to be an interleague game every single day of the season. It is bad enough when teams don't play within their division in September. It would be doubly worse if teams don't even play within their league in September.

If they did do something that drastic, why wouldn't they put both Texas teams in the same division? California teams are in the same division.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You can't have an odd number of teams in a league... it doesn't work.

Having 1 interleague series for every series throughout the year would kill any sort of "nuance" that the 2 weeks of interleague play provides. As it is, its only real big in NY, Chicago, and LA (and maybe Houston-Arlington). The rest of the rivalries are blah.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I hadn't considered the problem of having an odd number of teams in each league. I guess there are just going to have to be messed up divisions until MLB either expands or contracts.

19. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

have fun watching old has beens and fat asses try to hit a homerun every at bat.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Last time the MLB talked about realignment, this was the plan:

AL (3 divisions, 1 wildcard)

New York
    Boston
    Baltimore
    Toronto

Texas
    Chicago White Sox
    Detroit
    Kansas City
    Minnesota
    Clevland

Arizona
    Oakland
    LA Angels
    Seattle

NL (4 divisions. No Wildcard)

New York
    Philadelphia
    Pittsburgh
    Washington (Formerly Montreal)

Cincinnati
    Tampa Bay
    Florida
    Atlanta

St Louis
    Houston
    Chicago Cubs
    Milwaukee

San Fransisco
    LA Dodgers
    San Diego
    Colorado

The idea was to get Texas out of the Pacific time zone. At the time, Arizona and Tampa Bay could have been moved to the opposite league without their consent but that expansion clause has expired. The plan failed though. No one liked getting rid of the Wild Card in the NL. Awful awful idea.