1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Texans sign ________???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Mar 1, 2013.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't think there are too many NFL teams that are using the moneyball approach the way Morey has in the NBA and Billy Beane has in the MLB.

So to say you dislike Rick Smith for not using that particular system is kinda asinine.

2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...oneyball-tape-still-tells-162758386--nfl.html

Couldn't find much on this, but seems like there is more advanced statistical analysis then you would think.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Laron Landry to Colts very close to done.

Leaves Texans/Niners as most likely Reed/Woodson landing spots.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Exactly.

We all know and now love Moreyball from first hand experience but its definitely something that hasn't quite yet reached the NFL in full effect.

I'm not saying some GMs don't use it there but its very minimal compared to its other 2 counterpart sports.

So to say you dislike him cause he doesn't use it is again.... pretty asinine.

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah, I guess you are right, but let me rephrase my comment- I would feel much better if Rick Smith used a moneyball approach to his moves.

To his credit, he has drafted pretty well, but managing the cap has been a big issue imo. We have lost way more then we have gained due to the cap over the past few years, and with our window being win now I think it is stupid to rely on just the draft and not free agency.

He has been avoiding the issues on offense for too long. Every year we say "we need a legit 2nd receiver" which I think would make the offense much better, say I hope we actually get a receiver in free agency rather then just draft a mediocre 3rd rounder.

6. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Most of the top tier receivers are gone. Darius Heyward-Bey has the best potential left. Texans need to make a move

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He's been drafting a lot better lately. Don't forget he was the same guy that selected Amobi Okoye over Patrick Willis, Darelle Revis, and Marshawn Lynch to name a few.

I'm not completely sold on him as a drafter yet but JJ Watt and Brian Cushing are about the strongest points you could make for him.

I also wouldn't place the blame on Rick for us not being able to obtain that second legit receiver next to AJ. I think that's just Kubes believing in his system and depending on his TEs to make plays a little too much.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Good points. I guess you could say he is about average as an NFL gm, not bad but not great either, which is why I think trying something newer and original could definitely benefit the team. Moneyball took a while to develop in both MLB and NBA but is now a staple for many teams. I like GM's who are constantly trying new things, constantly trying to make moves to better the team rather than just trying to keep together the core while constantly cutting the fat.

9. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Not much of a concern with Landry. He's got beach muscles, can hit can't cover

10. body slam

body slam Member

When or if released should the Texans make a play for Nate Washington Wr titians? The titians are trying to trade him but it seems unlikely with his $4 million dollar salary.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Don't want

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends on the price. You need a genuinely good receiver to make life easier on Schaub and force Kubiak to get more dynamic on offense, Washington is just mediocre enough that he'll wind up having no impact in our system.

13. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Go look at our 2009 draft....

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Drafting well gives you a lot of cushion when it comes to cap issues. Smith came in and inherited Casserly's house of bad decisions and needed 2-3 years to clear out the bloat. These past two springs, he's run into the next phase: draft hits coming up for second contracts. Not as simple as want/dontwant like in the Capers/Carr/Casserly days. Even if you like them, you can't cripple the team giving Mario the contract he wanted and you have to make hard calls like with Winston. Some people are indispensable enough that you need to (slightly) extend your cap to keep.

Drafting well means that even if you lose a guy you should have kept...it won't sting as much. A stepback >>> a fall off.

The team does a commendable job strategizing for the draft, waiting to grab their undersized ZBS linemen later (Newton, Brooks, Jones) so they can save their top two rounds for high impact playmakers like Watt and Cushing. They aren't perfect at all, but it makes a huge difference when you manage to find starters on Day 3.

Still, there's a limit. Tough to expect more than 2-3 immediate starters in a single draft or 4-5 overall. Can only shed so many guys when you naturally have holes and weak spots and depth to work on in the first place. We've got a tall mountain to climb this offseason...but hey, at least we're not Baltimore right now. Then again, they got a championship, so there's that as consolation.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I disagree that they've drafted well under Smith. Certainly better than under Casserly, but they've missed a lot.

2007 was basically a total bust draft
    2008 you hit on 1st and 3rd with the rest being a bust
    2009 was an exceptional draft. You got a lot of quality in that draft
    2010 sucked. You got a competent starter at #1 (that took 3 years to get competent) and you got a good backup in the second. The rest of the draft is nothing.
    2011 gave you a stud at 1, a competent starter in the second and an interesting project in the 7th
    2012 is too early to tell

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin Kolb?

[​IMG]

17. body slam

body slam Member

Restricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders Wr Steelers? Would cost a 3rd round pick plus the cash to pay him.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

hell no for a 3. that's crazytalk

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Could have had Bolden for a 6th.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23TexansTalk">#TexansTalk</a>. Andre also said he has talked with Chad Johnson about coming to <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23texans">#texans</a></p>&mdash; James Palmer (@JPalmerCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPalmerCSN/status/312627607529209857">March 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>