1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Stro be our Starting PF Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Mar 22, 2006.

Tags:
?

Should the Rockets Make Stro our Starting PF Next Season

1. Yes

70 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Since the other thread got a little off track by talking about this year, here is the poll. Comments welcome.

My comment: It would be insane to pencil him in as a starter. After 6 NBA seasons, he is what he is and next year will be no different. JVG hasn't "wasted" him and Stro doesn't need more time in the last 15 games to "learn JVG's system."

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I think the right question would be, is Stro still on the Rox lineup next season? :p If JHO and Stro are still both our PFs next season, Stro should start.......I believe that he will be gone if CD retires and a GM handles the team

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

No he shouldn't, and neither should Howard. They need to find a player elsewhere.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I don't care that he dunks like a bolt of lightning. I have two major grievances with him:

-His rebounding allergies: perhaps the most half-hearted effort I've ever seen from someone of his size and athleticism. Rip Hamilton-type guys are able to box him out every game because he's so disinterested. Career avg: 4.9 RPG in 21.0 MPG, this year: 4.7 RPG in 20.9 MPG. There's ZERO excuse for his crap board work. He has the tools to be a rebounding monster, but not the will.

-More disinterest and apathethy in regards to setting screens and switching/rotating on defense. Piss-poor picks that often don't even lead to contact and he meanders back to his man (if he manages to find him) after doubling on the perimeter.

I'm fine with him as a back up on the team. If all else fails, he's got a fantastic contract for a big man. But I absolutely do not want a starter on this team that doesn't care about the game, his team's success, or his personal play. Swift strikes me as a guy that shows up because he's paid millions of dollars to, and that's it. To be fair, he's like most of the workforce; doing what he needs to get through the day and that's it.

DO NOT REWARD HIM WITH A STARTING SPOT. Juwan may not have much game left, but he does play with pride and effort.

Evan

5. rocketsmetalspd

Very true...Rockets should look to get rid of these guys and bring some players that play with passion.

6. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

start him the rest of this season.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DO NOT REWARD HIM WITH A STARTING SPOT. Juwan may not have much game left, but he does play with pride and effort.

Evan

---

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Real Shady
    No he shouldn't, and neither should Howard. They need to find a player elsewhere.

Very true...Rockets should look to get rid of these guys and bring some players that play with passion.

---

It's time to have an NBA quality big who can rebound, play weak side D, and extend the D giving room for Yao.

It's time for Murphy. GS has $$$ issues. Howard and the Lotto saves GS $mm$'s and leverages GS to take one of the Lottos + Jr or BD and improve their contract situation, AND their bereft 'chemistry'.

I'd even consider a Raef/GGreen for Howard and DWes (SnT), keeping the Lotto.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I second that. They need to find that banger who can score and hustle. Or find someone in the draft that they can develop.

It would be nice if Utah can release Boozer since they got Okur and Kirilenko.

9. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

I doubt Swift will still be on the Rockets next season.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we have the same trio (which I suspect we won't) next year, then either him or Chuck needs to be starting. As bad as Juwan was this year, he is going to be even worse next year, another year older, another year slower, another year with one foot nailed to the floor at all times, another year of running hot and cold with the jump shot, another year of starting off most games in the hole because the combo of Juwan and Yao defensively is TERRIBLE.

Stro on his worst day, in his laziest form (which I agree, he is lackadasical and horribly inconsistent) gives us a better chance of winning the war on the court than Juwan. He or Hayes should start and if his head isn't in the game and we are losing, then put Juwan in out of desparation. Better yet, if Stro can't get it together put in Chuckie until he gets into foul trouble and then bring in Juwan. And if you start Chuckie and he gets into foul trouble, then bring in Stromile before Juwan.

Van Gundy should have been doing that this year. It is so obvious that Juwan is NOT the solution for us at the PF spot next to Yao. It is so obvious that Juwan is too slow to rotate defensively. It is so obvious that Juwan cannot defend the one on one post ups against him. It is so obvious that Juwan cannot play help defense because he is too slow. It is so obvious that when Yao and Juwan are on the floor together, we lose way more than we win.

The trading deadline came and went without moving Stro. So, if you think highly enough of the guy not to move him, then play him. Playing Juwan all those minutes, even WITH Yao and/or Tracy in the lineup led us to a sub .500 record. If you are going to move Stro in the offseason, then put him in, run plays for him, and increase his value. If you ain't gonna move him, then play him. What have we got to lose?

Frankly, I don't see how we can go into next season with Juwan as the starter. Nothing against Juwan. He's a hard-working player. He's doing all he can. But, he's made his money, his career is on the severe downslope. If we go in to next season with the idea of him playing 30 mpg, I will be sick. Because we ain't gonna go very far. Either Swift needs to step up or we gotta make a move.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Stro can hardly be called a POWER FORWARD . He is more akin to the Small Forward position. We need our starting Power Forward to be a Player with a mind set of Dennis Rodman and a build and ability of Karl Malone. Stro is just too weak and vunerable to play the tradition role alongside Yao Ming- and his basketball IQ and attention span are limited--think again!!

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

:eek:

Wow, boy are you setting yourself up for disappointment! Talk about setting the bar high.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

All of you that are voting yes and know not to post since you don't have any better an argument than he does great on your NBA 2k6 teams....I will kick you firmly in the nuts if I find you in the Red Alert section next season....

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

He's a decent back up but at this point, from what I've seen of him this season, I just don't see him as a starter. I still think Swift can add a lot to this team but in his current form he's not a starter.

I love Hayes, I wish he were a few inches taller.

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

One addtional comment: Don't assume anything about next year. Especially do not assume our starting PF will be between JH & Stro. The question is should we pencil Stro in as the starter, period. Do you think we can take this risk? Will he be an everyday player we can rely on? It's not about who should start the last 15 games this season.

We can pencil in Yao at C, Tracy at SF and (maybe) Rafer at PG. Should the Rockets pencil in Stro at PF or sign/trade for/draft another player? Forget JH, unless you somehow think he should be the starting PF next year.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't think the starter should be or will be either of them. Howard is done as a starter and should be moved if at all possible. As joepatmc said:

I agree totally and I have been thinking the same thing all year long. Recently, Howard has played some of his worst basketball as a Rocket and Swift's minutes have still haven't gone up. If you look at Swift's minutes from January, February and March they have steadily decreased.

If JVG is so reluctant to give Swift minutes now, then there's absolutely no way we're going to go into next season with Swift as the expected starter.

17. chris18515

chris18515 Member

Who cares about prid and effort when we are getting our butts kicked. Swift isn't the only player out their making mistakes. I would rather a young athlete make mistakes than I a older player such as Juwan. I have seen him make a share of mistake to.

18. chris18515

chris18515 Member

Hayes has no offense what so ever. He will never be a starter in this league.

19. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I don't think Swift should start this year. I voted yes for next season because I've been seeing small improvements here and there by this guy. Obviously he could afford a little (lot) more passion and on court IQ. I really think that with T-Mac and Yao on the floor, Swift's game would be maximized. We should not just give him the starting spot though, he has to earn it this offseason/rest of this season.

I am tired of Howard though, that is for sure.

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wow, well since you know how the future will play out please let me know how next season will turn out.