1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Ryan Moats be the starting RB?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Artesticles, Nov 1, 2009.

?

Who should be the starting RB?

1. Ryan Moats

106 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. Steve Slaton

52 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I mean, what does he have to do to earn it (and how many times does Slaton have to fumble the ball to lose his job)?

The O-line was fantastic and opening up holes, but Moats still had to find them, run vertically, and not fumble the ball (Moats looks faster than SS too). 3 scores, a Texans franchise record for one running back.

Moats should be the starter until he does something to warrant a demotion. I'd use Slaton in passing plays I guess.

2. rockets934life

If it were just production i'd say keep SS as the starter and bring in Ryan as a change of pace but fumbles are killer so I say Moats.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Until Steve proves he can hold onto the ball, start Ryan.

4. BucMan55

BucMan55 Member

The only thing I can use to defend Slaton's actual running ability(not the fumbling) is that he seems to get hit in the backfield alot. I have to wonder if someone on the OLine does not like Steve. It was noticeable when Brown would run some of the same plays that Slaton did. But when Moats got in it became even more apparent today. Can't count how many times Slaton gets the handoff only to have to try some barry sandersesque run to just get back to the line of scrimmage.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I know, I can;t imagine that being the case, but you could definitely think that. I have never seen someone get so many -1 yard carries like Slaton this season

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Member

Well it would be one thing if he was just taking off on his own but when there are 2-3 guys in the hole its pretty telling. They used to get on Sanders alot for the negative yards plays he got but he was not using a fullback or 2nd tight end to help alleviate that. And aside from Lomas Brown and Glover, their OLine wasnt much to sneeze at, at least early on in his career.

7. Stack24

Stack24 Member

That is the biggest difference in them right now. Moats makes a selection on the hole, makes one move and just bursts through the lane and takes what he can gets.

Slaton has been dancing around the hole trying to break something off and only gets hit in the backfield or gets no yardage.

Slaton will still start but you will definitely see some split carries in upcoming games and if Slaton still can't get it together you can be sure he is going to be benched. The fumbles aren't helping his cause any either.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

slaton is a lot slower and less explosive which is why he gets hit before he even reaches the line, but hes great in the open field because he can miss tackles. moats is more of a speed power guy and we should be able to use both of them.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Moats has been faster to the hole. We'll have to see how different defenses handle the Texans offensive line, but he should be the running back. Slaton will have to earn his spot back with good plays and ball protection.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Member

I havent seen him do this hole dancing. I haven't seen any hesitancy form him at the hole. He hits a hole thats there, or evades the guy who runs thru the hole before him trying to tackle him for a 3 yard loss. I have also seen him get hit 2 or 3 times per game on toss plays where we have penetration because of missed blocks. Moats didn't have this issue today, and I dont see how missed blocks on a toss can be blamed on the RB.

11. Landlord Landry

I'll never forget Shawn Slaton..... ;)

but start Moats.

12. conquistador#11

slaton addicted to juking like reggie bush?

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

As a fantasy football team owner, I hope Slaton keeps his starting job.

As a Texans fan, I'm for whoever can jumpstart that running game.

14. sammy

sammy Member

As a Slaton owner, I picked up Moats just in case.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I actually think part of the problem is that Slaton and the offensive line are just on different timing. At times Slaton will start slow and not reach the holes the offensive line create before they close and then other times, Slaton will start off too fast for the holes to be created.

Moats seems to have better field vision and will be able to kick into his next gear faster then Slaton has been able to this season.

Still I would no doubt keep Slaton as the starter as he is a big play threat both running and passing if given a inch.

16. Fatty FatBastard

drftgyhujikolp;[',mnbvcx

17. magnetik

magnetik Member

play both. but only after slaton shamwows the butter off his fingers.

18. solid

solid Member

Dallas has several really good running backs and they play them all depending on the situation. That's the plan the Texans should follow. Honestly, I didn't know Moats was on the team. He looked like Barry Sanders today.

19. verse

verse Member

I've been calling for Moats in threads for a couple of weeks now. Simply, he hits the gaps faster and with more conviction. Slaton seems to venture into the gaps looking for something to open up as opposed to immediately recognizing it and blasting through to the 2nd level.

As for Slaton getting another chance, of course he will and should. He's a valuable weapon in open space. I just wish he'd call up Tiki Barber and learn to adjust his ball carrying skills. Tiki had the same fumblitis until he started carrying the rock more upright and tucked against his right pecs, as opposed to a loaf of bread.

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

If I'm Kubiak, this job is Moats' to lose now. Until he shows you he can't catch the ball out of the backfield or he can't hit the holes quickly enough, he's doing a far better job of protecting the football than Slaton.