1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Rockets Fear Thunder?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by celebrevida, Dec 13, 2017.

1. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I think the current Rockets team missing Luc and Paul have a good enough chance of beating OKC in the playoffs. This includes playing Weber as well. Oklahoma City just isn't that good to the point where I fear them. I think we're even better if Luc were to play, and if CP3 plays in a series I see no possible way of Houston losing to Oklahoma City. That's not even bias talking.

It's not even about us. Just look at that team. Those guys are a better defensive team than us no doubt, and we can't take that away from them. They played their best offensive game though, and it was ugly. George, Melo, and Westbrook all had good games when it came to scoring the ball, and the game came down to one possession in the last 30 seconds. They played their best offensive game, and it was still nearly a loss. Give Weber (Don't give up on him yet) some more playing time, and Nene more rest and I think these 8 guys could beat the Thunder in about 6 or 7 games.

Give us back Paul and Luc and it's done in 5 games or less. Easy.

The Thunder are not a difficult team to beat or defend. They remind me of a less polished and gritty version of the Grizzlies when they were at their best. A good defensive team that will beat you up, but the offense isn't good enough to really make them dangerous. I don't think Oklahoma City will figure it out offensively either. They'll only give you trouble if you let them. Also, it helps when Westbrook subconsciously sabotages his own team from winning. I'm not sure they could beat the Blazers in a series honestly.

As long as we don't lose three rotation players then we should have enough to beat them in a playoff series, but I doubt we face them anyways. They're kind of irrelevant honestly. I'd be more concerned about the Blazers since there's a higher chance we play them in the first round.

That being said, the only thing I fear are injuries. I don't have much faith in Morey finding a 10th or 11th man to help the bench. I don't think I'd even call Nene a reliable 9th man either, so that makes things even more worrisome. I know a few years ago he traded for Pablo P which surprisingly helped a ton, but I'm not sure a player like that will fall into our lap. I think Morey might be trigger hesitant, and by doing so he will miss on some helpful targets in hopes of landing someone better. I don't believe Morey needs to make a home run trade, but I'm scared he thinks that is what he needs to do.

Mathloom and DonKnock like this.
  2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

^well said. Gsw is too good even with injuries.

There biggest setback that no one zooms in on is Pj, Ryno, Luc, and sometimes Ariza. Only Gordon it seems has the ability to crossover and drive all the way to the basket it appears. Not that Ariza can’t, he just doesn’t have as quick a first step.

Pj is kind of clumsy and I don’t have to mention Ryan. Compare that to Klay, Iggy, Donkey. Each one of them can put his head down and get there and something good will happen.

That to me is what’s truly handicapping the offense. They get the ball thrown too and pump fake see the defender didn’t bite and immediately throw it back to Harden to force him to get them open. Now maybe the offense is designed that way and they were told not to force things, but common if Harden throws you the ball with 6s left do something besides throwing back to him to heave a 30ftr up.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A healthy Chris Paul helps the role players better
    His passing is more precise than hardens which helps with the shooters

DonKnock likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets need to fear their defense

J Sizzle likes this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This is the way I perceived the game last night too.
    OKC was able to use Roberson and PG to overload Harden on the PnR.
    Gordon wasn’t effective enough as a secondary creator to make OKC think twice about blitzing Harden.

Briante Weber was actually passable defensively but it was a struggle to generate points when he was in as he was getting the Roberson treatment and he wasn’t aggressive with the ball. The Thunder pulled ahead during the Weber 4th Q minutes and these would’ve been the CP3 minutes against the second unit.

Ariza also looked worn down in the 4th and thats when PG made a few shots to put the Thunder up. Having Luc back would’ve given us another elite defender to put on PG or Melo while also keeping Ariza fresh.

Reeko likes this.
  7. LaVar Ball

LaVar Ball Member

we should fear the thunder if we don't have cp3. when we are healthy, i don't fear anyone.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the real mvp

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

you’re spot on with this...I really don’t see why people are trying to overhype this OKC team and place any sort of weight on last night’s game

we were missing 2 of our 3 best defenders, and the impact that CP3 has on our offense can’t be ignored

OKC shot 54% from the field...Russ went 12-24, Melo went 8-12, and PG went 8-15...yet it was 110-107 with under a minute left at OKC

if we’re fully healthy, then OKC is nothing to worry about

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Rockets should fear their own lackadaisical attitude and injuries.

Mathloom likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Pretty much this, it was a near perfect recipe for an OKC win, and it was a close game without Chris Paul.

Call me overconfident, but I don't think OKC is gonna shoot 55% if we have Paul and Luc.

Reeko likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Rockets should fear their own lackadaisical attitude and injuries.

True Rocket and A_3PO like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thunder is just a whole lot of noise. Lightning on the other hand, everyone should fear.

14. Nivos

Nivos Member

As long as Westbrook throws twice the amount of Melo and Goerge when they are hot, I'm not worried.
    When (if) he'll learn to recognise the hot man and give up his own shots, I'll start worrying.
    Untill then, I came out really positive from last night.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly....The Refs allow them to handcheck, physical pushing, stealing through the player and on rebounds grab and push through the back.

Rocket River
    reminds me of Seattle

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

A healthy Rockets team would obliterate the Thunder....

douglasreedy1 and D-rock like this.
  17. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Thunder Big 4 is a legit championship level contender once they figure it out. Well they have figured it out now. Look at today's performance vs Raptors.

If Rockets have to choose between facing a Spurs team running on fumes vs Thunder Big 4, you don't even need to think twice.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am worried especially with all the injury issues we are having. MDA needs to be careful with the minutes.

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Thunder only win at home......

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Yep, you play the inexperienced Thunder playoff squad with Billy D coaching every time.