1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should protesters be paid?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Should college protesters be paid?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    90.3%
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They certainly shouldn't be paid for it beyond the means of their particular special interest group, or by a third group from whom no unique benefit is derived by their actions and whose own goals and functions may be impeded by it. They're probably trying insulate themselves from the economic opportunity cost of their political and frankly social excursions and they're being correctly derided for it.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

interesting and intriguing

Thanks! REPPED!

Rocket River

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Start paying my expenses and I will quit my job. Northside, you and I will get this ball rolling!

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Segregated safe spaces for lgbt, womyn, black students etc are not uncommon. Also payment for organizers (but not the protesters). Payment would generally come from the student union, and not the college.

Too many isms for me to decypher, and doubtful I support this particular group's outrage, but this rant isn't up to national review's usual high standards.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

BTW I cannot believe that this whole "safe space" thing is real. I never even heard of it until South Park and I thought it was just some absurd, obviously stupid concept they thought of. It's just hard for me to see that it's real.

In fact, I need a virtual safe space from the concept of safe spaces. I just can't read about it online anymore. I just can't.

6. amaru

amaru Member

A lot of protestors are.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I found a Cleveland-area paper with a similar article that does not carry the baggage that National Review does: http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015/12/17/unethical-institution/

According to them, the 700 signatories are "students, alumni and supporters." I wonder how many are supporters who have never actually been students there.

Also in the news, Oberlin students protest culturally insensitive food: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/19/ohio-college-students-offended-culturally-appropri/

It seems like a very silly place.

8. malakas

malakas Member

The food was steamed instead of fried! :mad: Reason to RIOT!

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Proof?

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

https://medium.com/@thersa/creative-citizen-creative-state-a3cef3f25775#.tgrh9mlc4

[​IMG]

i'll pay for your life with monopoly tokens if you pledge to only have monopoly expenses HAYMITCH

11. hlcc

hlcc Member

lol even if you fried General Tso's chicken it's still not Chinese food. I'd be surprised if more than 1% of people in China have any idea what General Tso's chicken is.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have it on good authority that not only do 87.4% of people in China know what General Tso's chicken is, 35.7% of them know the General personally.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I didn't click on that link cuz it looked sketchy, but I must say I am disappointed that you won't walk the walk. I already put in my two weeks' notice.

14. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

What's with college kids and their sense of victimization now days and wanting 'safe-zones'? I love what Rupert Murdoch said during a speech he gave:

“Before delivering my modest message,” Murdoch joked at the outset of his address accepting the Hudson Institute's Global Leadership Award, “I feel obliged to alert college students, progressive academics and all other deeply sensitive souls that these words may contain phrases and ideas that challenge your prejudices — in other words, I formally declare this room an ‘unsafe space.’”

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Money is a form of free speech.
    Protesting is a form of free speech.

Double speech, double good?

16. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

well, I was thinking according to paternalistic American welfare roles. I give the money so I decide what you do with your life kind of thing.

if you move up to Canada, I'll gladly pay for your maple-glazed poly marriage or your weed on the rocks :)

(i encourage you to read about the argument for the basic income whenever you have the time. it's well-worth engaging with, if only for an intellectual break/exercise. I promise you it will only repulse you 4 times.)

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I want to get paid for protesting this thread.

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Should the 1 in 10,000 get a double share because they weren't sitting around thinking about whatever they were thinking about before they decided to get off their a$$ and save the world?

19. SonofSatoshi

SonofSatoshi Member

I agree, I didn't believe it was a real thing until recently and would laugh if it wasn't so damn maddening people are promoting this b.s. "Safe space"...what a crock.

And this from the op:

- if so why even choose to be a student there? This is just ridiculous.

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]