1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should playing time be earned?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 27, 2009.

?

Should playing time be earned on the floor?

1. Yes - play whomever is best today

87.0%
  2. No - players earned time from previous seasons

13.0%
  1. Seth

Seth Member

If you look at this team roster, Ariza and Battier are the only ones whose playing time has somewhat been "given" to them. You look at Scola, Landry, Brooks, Chase, Andersen, Lowry and you see a bunch of guy who have worked hard to earn their minutes.

There is no reason to insult them by introducing a rehabilitated player in detriment of these guys work.

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Again, what does the team do with Yao? What did they do with him when he came back from injury last time?

I tend to recall he just got back in.

Tracy is being told to go through hoops to do so. Yao's foot injury is obviously just as serious and career threatening as Tracy's knee surgery was.

3. Seth

Seth Member

Yao comeback will be approached the same way as TMac, small minutes to start with, and see how he can fit within the offense. With the only difference that Yao will have a complete offseason with the team to work himself back.

4. EssTooKayTD

Refresh my memory from last time he came back? I honestly don't recall (not being an ass as I can be from time to time). I can only assume he had limited minutes for just a few games (now whether that's 8 mins or more like 15, I don't remember), and then was back playing in the playoffs against the Jazz.

The team was playing well with Yao out, he's coming back from a serious injury to his fragile feet, and there's no question about plugging him back in. The same SHOULD be done about Tracy. You know what he can do. His playmaking doesn't go away. His explosiveness maybe/probably. Same thing with Yao. He is still going to make plays.

I guess it just reinforces the idea that Rick Adelman took last year's stuff to heart and decided against having Tracy on the team. I really don't know how I feel about that.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Playing McGrady more minutes will benefit McGrady and not the team.

Playing Yao more minutes (when he returns) will benefit both the team and Yao.

You can't really compare the two...

6. EssTooKayTD

I'm really just too tired to even argue, but I disagree. The only reason you wouldn't be able to compare the two is if you as an organization decided to lie to the fanbase and your player that you are working him back in when in actuality, you never really wanted to and 8 mins a game was to "showcase" that he can still play for trade reasons.

I don't buy the disrupting the chemistry BS. They are professionals. The team needs players who make smart plays. I've said it before, if TMac isn't that guy, then find someone who is. Right now, I don't know who that is on the team.