1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should playing time be earned?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 27, 2009.

?

Should playing time be earned on the floor?

1. Yes - play whomever is best today

87.0%
  2. No - players earned time from previous seasons

13.0%
  1. abtguy

abtguy Member

Just because the Rockets agree with you does not mean it's right I didn't know what ever the rockets organization did was written in stone to be correct. I know you love the Rockets, but common man fans always have gripes with the upper management to their favorite teams.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I post lots of insightful things, and the post you were refering to, is I said that to watch for Brooks having more assists because he was playing with a wing that could finish in Budinger.

Many people on here want Lowry to start because of all the assists but fail to realize that Brooks role is more of a scoring point because he doesn't get the benefit of playing with finishers like Landry and Cbud.

And yes, I do like to be right, so many people like to point out the few times I am wrong, so I enjoy the banter of ...."yep, I am right" why is it ok for people to post things saying I am wrong, but not ok for me to do the same on the other side of it?

Just like now...I am right about Tmac but there is a lot of resistance to the "Rightness".

;)

Good lord, I agree with this, it just so happens that in this instance they are right.

DD

3. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

DD, I'd really love to know why you think Taylor has earned more minutes than McGrady? I've tried to reply to you twice in this thread, and you've replied to everyone except me. I just really want to know, because that's almost a borderline absurd statement.

4. abtguy

abtguy Member

HAHA why would that shock you DD already admitted that he makes absurd statements.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He plays hard on both ends of the floor, but honestly I would rather Mike Harris play.

Fighting fire with fire..young man.

DD

6. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

He sure is doing better than Taylor when he's not healthy, though.

The fact that you think that Jermaine Taylor has earned more minutes than Tmac, or would be a better fit or choice for this team and franchise, is testament to your idiocy and bias.

I can't take your opinion seriously. I don't see how anyone can.

Please stop acting like a pompous child and offer some insight into your opinions if you are going to run around yelling them all over the board as if they were the words of God himself.

Your opinion is not that important, and your biases are not always correct. Please stop talking like your opinion is Gospel, if you want to have debates then make solid points and stop spewing things like "Tmac is terrible he has no future with this franchise," because there is NO WAY that you could possibly know that.

The management of this team has publicly stated that there have been no trade talks involving Mcgrady, and I'd certainly be more inclined to believe them than some pimply faced teenager on a message board who thinks there is a conspiracy behind every quote and plotting behind the doors.

7. abtguy

abtguy Member

Sometimes you point out the absurd by being absurd yourself, it is the only thing that insane people will understand.

DD

8. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

Lol okay, so we're going to let a talentless nobody have minutes over a former all-star who sells tickets and is popular throughout the world, and also happens to be putting out better numbers in a more limited, strict playtime.

THAT sounds like a great plan.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No he isn't...they are both struggling.

Dookie....see...this is EXACTLY what I was talking about....

LOL - and I am supposed to just let it go like water off a ducks back.

Kids...SHEESH !

DD

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Um...what does any of that mean?

Former all star who sells tickets and is popular throughout the world?

How is that even remotely relevant?

Seriously.......is that your argument that he should play because he is popular.

Hey, where is Ryan Bowen these days?

DD

11. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

I was kinda hoping for more than one of your one liners. What exactly can you prove to show that he plays harder on both ends? He hasn't shown enough production either offensively, or defensively in the same amount of minutes McGrady has played.

12. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

No, my argument is that even though he is struggling he is still outputting a superior performance.

And yes, your bias is incredible. The fact that you'd rather play a nobody over someone who is putting out better numbers just because you don't like him is evidence of your bias.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So your point is..."Yes, Tmac is playing like utter crap, but so is everyone else"

That is your point?

Uh, yeah....I am biased.....I have seen enough of MeMac to know how that story ends.

And right now the guy is playing way worse than that.

DD

14. abtguy

abtguy Member

Oh ya what else can you predict for us Nostradamus can you tell me what stocks to buy for Monday morning?

15. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

His point was that Tmac is doing better than those others players but you'd rather not play him because he is Tmac.

Can I ask you an honest question, DD? Would you rather the team won a championship with Mcgrady leading the way or would you rather we finish at 9th place in our division without Tmac on the team?

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Don't be obtuse Syn.......it's ok you want to play the global icon who is slower than dirt....we get it.

DD

17. abtguy

abtguy Member

Don't say ridiculous statements I know how the story ends thats such an ignorant thing too say.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Dadakota,

Your point is weak to say the least. Your poll polarizes everyone's opinion. The reality is that the answer is so smack dab in the middle that such a poll is meaningless. The answer is "it depends on the situation".

You want to talk bottom lines? If T-mac wants to prove himself to you. The only way to do so is by being in game shape. There is no other way to get into game shape than actually playing an NBA game (any coach/player/commentator/average observer can corroborate this). T-Mac can get into 7-minute game shape - and that's what he did against the Clippers. For T-Mac to make a real difference, he needs a few consecutive 20-min games. That's the bottom line. I don't disagree with you that those minutes are hard to find right now. But as a person, he deserves it. At the same time, the Rockets have to stick to their new business plan. No one is wrong. No one is to blame. It is just a matter of bad timing. If Battier was traded for a big man, T-mac would come into the line up easily.

For the coach, the problem is that he made a promise to the team: if you do "this", you will win. He kept that promise and they kept their promise. T-Mac was not with the group at the time. So this becomes extremely frustrating for him.

More importantly is what a player can show in 7 minutes. First of all, there are different types of players. Some produce quickly then run out of steam. Some are very consistent. Others are less consistent. That's why some people can come into the game despite being cold and heat up. A good example of this is Flip Murray or Chris Andersen or Earl Boykins. These people can come in and do some damage quickly before running out of steam.

There are others who just can't come off the bench cold and catch fire. T-Mac (and Hakeem O-freakin-lajuwon in case you don't recall) are the kind of players which can't just get hot in 7 minutes. They take their time over the season as well as over each game.

So two points here:

1) If you consider last year to be a poor sample, then you do not have a decent basis by which to judge T-Mac. Once he is in game shape, make your judgement.

2) Some players can produce in short stints. Some can not. This is not a necessarily desirable quality. It is just by random chance that some players have it and others don't. Generally speaking, star players don't seem to have this quality very often. This is the case with T-Mac.

Also, it's important to establish a relevant information set regarding T-mac's history. It's difficult to discuss when different posters pick and choose what is relevant from his past and what is not. There needs to be a consistent approach. IMO, T-Mac has done nothing wrong but being horriffic at handling media. As a person he's not unique in any way when compared to other stars. This year, he has improved and has shown a willingness to learn. As far as I'm concerned, he's earned the minutes. Once they become available, he should get them. They just aren't available right now because Ariza deserves to work on his game and Budinger has been excellent.

In any case, T-Mac will open a lot of people's eyes by the end of this season and it will be due to stellar performance rather than bad PR. Whoever he is playing for by then. I hope it's us.

Adelman hopes it's us too. He knows this team can't make it without a star halfcourt player in the playoffs. He knoes how McGrady's passing can make Brooks more potent. Battier more useful. Ariza less defended. All of the above.

He needs to shake the rust off. I hope he keeps taking the 7 minutes and I hope the staff keep increasing it till he's at 20 minutes. Then they can decide whether he can contribute or not.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Whatever...you keep calling me ignorant and I will keep being right.

How was that Bob?

BTW - TMac quit again........

[Tracy left the team when Adelman refused to commit to playing him the minutes he wanted to play. McGrady was to be in uniform for both games.--Richard]

[McGrady chose to leave.--Richard]

It is amazing all the crap this guy pulls and that people are still willing to believe in him.....

The guy is a loser, has a loser's mentality, and makes excuses for failures....when a lot of people who post here get older, they will understand....

DD

#59 DaDakota, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  20. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

Here's where you and I differ.

I want our team to be successful and give minutes to the players who are (in the process of) proving they can help the team win.

You're so dead set on seeing Tmac leave ship that you don't care whether or not he can contribute to our team now and instead concentrate that last year he made a few stupid mistakes and was too injured to play.

I want the Tmac that can provide an offensive force and go to guy for our team throughout the games and season. You want Tmac gone at all costs.