1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should playing time be earned?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 27, 2009.

?

Should playing time be earned on the floor?

1. Yes - play whomever is best today

87.0%
  2. No - players earned time from previous seasons

13.0%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The crux of this entire BBS argument seems to come down to this question, should a players time on the floor be earned?

To me that is all that matters, what can a player do THIS year...RIGHT now.

The best players should play.

And if you want to earn more time, you do that in practice and in whatever minutes you get on the floor.

Now, I know 8 minutes a game is not a lot, but, history is LITTERED with players that played short amounts of time and forced the coach to extend their minutes.

Heck, Budinger this year, Von Wafer last year, Carl Landry his rookie year....all of them got limited opportunities and capitalized on them by playing well in a short time frame.

Shouldn't that be the way a coach operates his team? Put the players that are performing the best on the floor?

What do you say to CBud when you have to cut his minutes to play a guy who is clearly not ready yet?

I think a players time should be earned, and if you are fortunate enough to get a little bit of time you better perform great in that short time and FORCE that coach to play you more.

Because one thing Adelman has proven is that if you are going to help him win, he is going to play you more minutes.

DD

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Playing time should be earned EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO SPANOULIS!!!

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Fair enough, he sat all year....but he did play hard...lol, and Adelman tried hard to get him back...just saying.....

As for the topic at hand.......how do you go back to the team if everyone else is earning their time and one player is getting it because of his name, or past.

Sometimes, the game or situation just passes you by.....imo.

DD

4. PeppermintCandy

DD, do you think Taylor's earned more playing time than McGrady?

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't like Taylor, but I have to say yes he has......

DD

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

If you're wanting to win now and it hinders the progress of developement greater far greater than any W in the present then yes.

7. A00man

A00man Member

Yes playing time should be earned and the best players should play.

With that said, bench Ariza and bring in T-Mac.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If there is sufficient uncertainty over what a player can bring the team in extended minutes, then playing time should be earned.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

And if that is the case, shouldn't a guy who is trying to EARN more time, actually have to EARN it?

I mean as I said, lots of players have been extremely effective in short stints and forced their way into the lineup.

That is the way to earn more time, not by complaining to the press.

DD

10. redao

redao Member

I dont know how Rafer earned his playing time.
    He was awful in his playing time while Brooks was the future of Rockets.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am not going to argue that, I said the same thing......and I think eventually he did earn more time.

As did Landry, Scola, Von, Chase...nearly all the guys on the floor.

Why should anyone else be held to a different standard.

Meritocracy is what the NBA is all about.

DD

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know Alston was often painful to watch on the offensive end - but he played excellent defense, he handled the ball well, and he played with intensity. Yes, that floater drove me crazy - but he wasn't nearly as bad as many of you make him out to be.

13. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

5th in the league in assist to turnover ratio = earned playing time

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The point is ....if you are running a team, and everyone else has EARNED their place, you can not make exceptions as it undermines your authority as a coach.

Rick Adelman has a bunch of guys that are playing hard, and have earned their way onto the floor.

The NBA is not a charity, if you can go and help the team, you go, if not, you sit.

Regardless of the circumstances.

At one point Dream had to go, Francis too, well........

DD

15. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

No that's just because you like him more, and your hatred for McGrady doens't let you see the truth. What the hell has Taylor done more than McGrady in their limited minutes?

Your answer will be the same, played hard, etc. But again, you CANNOT prove that. He's played more dumb defensively in the Orlando game, rather than trying hard, but again, I can't prove that either, but neither can you. I still haven't seen you address one post calling out the validity in that argument, I posted two in that Ariza v. T-Mac thread.

Has Taylor guarded Dirk, and Melo, while holding his own? Has he shown the passing ability, with the rare ability of not turning over the ball? Has he even had a game like McGrady had against the Clippers?

You like to keep pinting at McGrady's FG% as a reason towards not playing him. Taylor is 6-19 on the season, which would be at 31%, even less than McGrady. What do you have to say to that? That, it's such a less amount of FG attempts, so it doesn't legitamately measure his FG%? That's the same type of argument you use against McGrady. The hypocrisy is insane.

The TWO games in which Taylor played decent minutes (assuming where you saw all this talent), he's shot 2-8 from the floor, and had that one possession, where he just lost a rebound because he was concerned about getting up the floor. It resulted in a turnover.

Of course you'd say yes, you'd take any player over McGrady at this point. Had I been on the team, and since my name doesn't have "McGrady," on the back of my jersey, you'd be advocating for me to take his minutes too.

There's a point where hatred flaws your argument. I hate Ariza, I almost can't stand when he shoots, but I'll even say that it's more our coaching staff encouraging his crap play, and the role Ariza had alst season, he thrived in.

Your hatred has made you blind to what's going on.

2 people like this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

"Horriza" or "Taylor trash"?

Give me T-Mac instead.

17. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I agree that playing time should be earned. However, as a business, not putting TMac on the court for a few minutes each could hurt the prospects of trading him. But then again, if Tmac doesn't like the 8 minutes, putting him on the court could hurt the chemistry too. When I'm typing this, I am thinking of chemotherapy...... You want it to kill the cancer cells, but chemotherapy can do harm to the normal ones too. :(

18. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

This is a hard question to answer, because a coach and an organization have a system and a plan as to how they want to run an offense and how they want to defend the opposing team. So has tmac earned more playing time? well if you go based on what hes done for your team in the past and how hard he worked in the offseason to get where he is at now , then yes he has, but then we go back to my first point which is, he doesn't fit the style of play that the coach and manager want for the team. Look at Nates situation in NY, he is a good player, but he doesn't fit what d'antoni is trying to do. Every player is in the nba for a reason, they have earned a spot on the team, but it comes down to , can you contribute to what the team is trying to do , and can you help the team win. Just because you have shown you were an all star or played great last year, that doesn't mean you will fit what the team is trying to do this year, as an example, if Yao was on this team right now, believe me that rick would not have the same rotation of players, im sure you would see less budinger, and less andersen, and less hayes, less brooks and more lowry

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Come on now, Ariza shouldnt have to earn his minutes no matter how bad he has been playing. What a silly notion.

20. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

I hate Taylor because ...... ? I just do