1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should NBA players be paid based on performance?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jeerome, Nov 25, 2003.

1. jeerome

jeerome Member

Found this interesting excerpt from an article in CBS Marketwatch about 10 most overpaid jobs. I feel players in the NBA should earn their salary based on performance and not expectations, it would make the league even more competitive instead of watching big time athletes play lazy ball. so sad.

"2) Washed-up pro athletes in long-term contracts

Pro athletes at the top of their game deserve what they earn for being the best in their business. It's those who sign whopping, long-term contracts after a few strong years, and then find their talents vanish, who reap unconscionable sums of money.

NBA player Shawn Kemp, for instance, earned $10 million in a year he averaged a pathetic 6.1 points and 3.8 rebounds a game. Atlanta Braves pitcher Mike Hampton earned $9.5 million -- in the second year of an eight-year, $121 million contract -- while compiling a 7-15 won-loss record for the Colorado Rockies with a pitiful earned-run average of 6.15.

Thank the players' unions for refusing to negotiate contracts based on performance -- and driving up the cost of tickets to levels unaffordable for a family of four, especially for football and basketball. They point to owners as the culprits, yet golf star Tiger Woods and tennis champ Serena Williams earn their keep based on their performance in each tournament."

2. lalala902102001

No, otherwise it would be too easy to be a GM.

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

good thread, & good points but i dont see it happiening for bball.

4. Austin70

Austin70 Member

The only sports it works in are the individual sports.

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well, I honestly dont know why we are all so concerned about what sports stars make to begin with. Its not our money to begin with, however if they started paying based on performance I think it would help the overall game.

Everyone would dive to the floor for a loose ball, or slide in the dirt to steal thrid. I think it would help America's sporting. I hate to say it but we no longer dominate the world in any sport. America is being replaced.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You think players play selfish now, wait until their paycheck depends in their numbers. There is a reason only individual sports have pay based on performance (outside of the odd incentive clause here and there, mostly in football).

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It should be a combination of individual performance and team performance. Winning, not just individual stats should raise a team's pay significantly.

8. silentfan

silentfan Member

Then the free agents woudl only want to play for the Lakers and the Mavs.

9. A-Train

A-Train Member

That has to be the most short sided argument ever. Does anybody really think that ticket prices would be less if the players made less money?

10. SLA

SLA Member

Well it will never happen...the players will never let it happen! I wouldn't mind it...but if the NBA players were even more selfish...then no! Just caring about stats..

11. A-Train

A-Train Member

The NBA SHOULD structure it's contracts more like the NFL and not guarantee money over the entire length of the contract.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly.

13. Panda

Panda Member

Each contract should be allowed to have a length of only 2 years, after that, a significant increase to reward loyalty in the extension contract, which is also to the maximum of 2 years, also, with rewards based on some categories such as rebounds, fast breaks, FT%, FG% and assists.

14. snowmt

snowmt Member

Then players would refuse to be rested during garbage time :D

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Screw free agency. The NBA should be a slave market.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Here's what would happen if you base it on performance = no team play, every one trying to get the stats. If you add in wins/losses would get a few teams stacked and everyone else would suck for eternity.

If you make it like the NFL, I'd like that. But also be prepared for huge signing bonuses just like the NFL. Also, you will see a lot more player hold outs and very little loyalty (just like the NFL). You'll never see dynasties any more as players would sign short contracts (more chances to sign for more signing bonus) and jump ship. This is a big reason for fluctuation of success in the NFL which I hate. Too much parrity.

17. HotRocket

HotRocket Member

Thank god I'm not paid on performance.