1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should my father sell his salvage car now or later? Or keep it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Feb 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

My old man wants to sell an 7-year-old Mercedes with a rebuilt/salvage title. It's his garage queen with just over 25k miles.

Car is in excellent condition, mechanically and cosmetically. I'm not positive, but I believe he said the previous owner hit a curb. No frame/body damage. A thorough pre-purchase inspection by a Mercedes dealer came back fine. Another independent MB mechanic also said the same.

It was quite expensive when brand new, but now it's worth less than $15k. If the title were clean, it would be around $50k. It has a 600 hp engine which rockets the car to 60mph in just over 4 seconds. Unfortunately, my father doesn't care to properly maintain it because there's no warranty. Parts and services are very expensive, and they will continue to climb as it's driven more. Brakes alone are $3k...

I don't know anything about buying or selling salvage cars. I just know that for the price of a Corolla, someone can get a phenomenal German machine.

Should I tell him:
    1) Sell it for dirt cheap,
    2) Hold out 1-2 years for a buyer that knows its real worth (who will overlook the salvage title), or
    3) Keep it (and pay the high maintenance costs)

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I'd say keep it as a weekend car, but that's just me.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I told him the same thing. He wants a new weekend car. Since his garage and driveway are full (only 4 spaces), he wants to sell this car to make room.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He clearly needs a bigger garage!

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A car don't get salvage title by just hitting a curb.
    He must've got it dirt cheap because salvage loses a lot of the value. I don't care how old it is.
    Sell that somebitch right now for whatever, that value ain't going up.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Tell him to give it to you. Then you can pimp it up, color it purple, add tv's and xboxes and a sofabed with a fridge in the back.

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Sell it to somebody who cares. A guy who doesn't want to maintain a car, shouldn't have one that has 600 hp.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ditto.

If a $50K has a salvage title, assuming it is not due to flood, that means it had at least $30K in damage (maybe more).

Having a salvage title is more about stigma than any existing issues. The car may be cosmetically, structurally and mechanically fine, but the pool of potential buyers is drastically reduced.

Keep in mind, most insurers will not insure a car with a salvage title (other than liability or special circumstances).

I would contact some Benz specialty shops and see if anyone is interested. They may want it for the engine alone. Take the top offer and be done with it.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

As others have said, you don't total a car for hitting a curb.

I would try and find out why the car was salvaged. You could always chop it and sell it for parts.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Salvage from hitting a curb....and no frame/body damage?

Sounds fishy.

As for getting more than the salvage value....not going to happen. Why would someone over look the actual value of the car to pay you more?

It's value is only going to diminish more. If he doesn't want it, sell it. The parts should be worth something.

11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

You should part it out .. probably get much more than 15k

12. Antec

Antec Member

Secretly trying to use thread to sell the car.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i particularly like the "600 hp engine which rockets the car to 60mph in just over 4 seconds".

What kind of Benz is it exactly?

14. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Lol not the case here. Besides, I doubt there are many CF'ers living near Vancouver. I think that line says more about me preventing someone getting it for nothing. It's a black 2006 S65 AMG with white/tan interior. The quality of the leather, sound system, V-12, and so on are leagues better than any car for $15k.

Codell is right. It's more about stigma. If a MB dealer and MB indy shop both vouch for its condition, than it shouldn't lose ~80% of its retail value just because. And the previous owner's story does seem fishy. I think he may have gotten away with insurance fraud. My father wouldn't have bought this car if the actual damage matched the usual flood/fire/head-on wreck salvage.
    A family friend in the auto import/export business has an interested buyer or two overseas. He thinks they will pay closer to the non-salvage fair-market value.

His car looks similar to this one except for the wheels and interior:
    [​IMG]

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yes, it actually should still lose that value. :)

16. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

No buyer is gonna come along and realize it's real worth when it holds a salvage title. That's just wishful thinking. The value will only continue to drop over time. Sell it for what the market is going for a salvaged title for your model.

17. likestohypeguy

Hey dmc89, if you have all the details on the car, call John Clay Wolfe tomorrow morning during his radio show on 97.5fm (or streaming on his gowolfe website). He gives quotes over the phone that his auto lot will write a check for, within 7 days of the quote.

Obviously you won't be selling it to him, his lots are dfw & hou only, but he'll give you a more real world idea of the value on it, based on what he knows he could sell it for, deduct more appropriately for not having a good carfax etc. Sometimes that varies significantly from blue book, higher or lower, just depending on what the market is for something. For instance certain random colors he can sell better or worse, there are kind of magic mile marks that make disproportionate jumps etc. but you have to know every detail, he will want to know everything (& will assume it doesn't have that detail for quote purposes, if you're not sure). If he's really interested, he'll ask you to send pics if it's something he likes & wants to know more than "average, rough, or clean" descriptions.

It's funny, he also knows when people are lying about it being their car, or calling on behalf of someone else just from a short conversation, or out them when he thinks they are in the car business themselves. one of my favorite radio shows.