1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Mutombo retire...ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, May 7, 2008.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I thought the Jason Kidd and Pau Gasol deals, in which Aaron Mckie and Kieth Van Horn essentially got paid for showing up, was supposed to be the end of players formally retiring. Sure, retiring might be a good idea for someone like Mutombo who is only getting older (41? ;) ) but he doesn't ever have to formally retire.

Les has said he wouldn't mind paying luxury tax for the right player, well this is the opportunity. If deke never retires we can sign him to make salaries match and create another big expiring contract for another team. Couple that with Bobby Jackson's and this could easily be used to snag a really good player who is on a terrible team that is looking to rebuild.

I don't think you look at the Grizzlies though, they've already done their deal. It's possible we could steal a Michael Redd or Vince Carter. Those two teams aren't really going anywhere and could be willing to go for that kind of deal.

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

We need to sign Mutombo to a lifetime contract. Ditch Clutch the bear and appoint him our as new mascot/god.

3. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be a joke topic but after reading it...The proposal is interesting and this could indeed help us later on. I say, as long as Stern doesn't ban these kinds of contracts and Deke doesn't have a problem with it, let it happen.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

... I'm pretty sure VC and Redd are pretty much out of the question unless we want to sacrifice a LOT of depth. We would have to give up at least one more major contract, such as Battier or Alston. All of our expiring contracts together, including Deke, unless we signed him to some ridiculous one-year deal, don't come close to the kind of money that I think Redd and Carter are making this year.

5. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

We should never resign Mutumbo for any other reason except:

- To use him as a backup for Yao.
    - Because he's good for the community.
    - Because he still has it.
    - Because he's cheap.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I hope the reckets sign Kirt Thomas or Chris Webber this summer.

Kirt Thomas will end his contract with the spurs this summer. Because Splitter will come, I don't think he will resign with the spurs.

Chris Webber, I think he is an ideal backup for Yao. He is not very old, and knows Adelman's system very well. But not sure, whether Adelman can convince him to play again.

7. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

Chris Webber?!! He is finished, he could barely hold up for a few games with the Warriors this past season.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

He didn't fit well with the GS style. They didn't need him at all. I think he had to choose retire in that situation.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Chris Webber does not have NBA ability anymore.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think he still has! I remember he played well with the pistons a year ago.

11. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

Face it, Webber is finished, his knees are shot. I don't think he has any desire to rehab and make any type of comeback.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Maybe not! But, I really hope Adelman can convince him! After all, he doesn't have a ring yet.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Chris Webber officially retired in the middle of this season and is now working for TNT.

I know the VC deal sounds far fetched but believe it or not his contract is better than the one Kidd had. We could sign Deke to a huge contract (someone could check to see what the max for him on 1 guaranteed year would be) package that with all of our expiring contracts and add somebody like Battier and picks to sweeten the pot. We could then use the LLE for landry and use the rest of our MLE to sign experienced role players (who at this point would be lining up to join our stacked team).

Still that isn't the only way we could use deke's as an expiring contract. As a guy known to soon retire, he could pretty much be sent anywhere that they are looking to reduce salary.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The rockets won't do that! That is disrespectful to Deke!

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

lol! yeah, we don't wanna sacrifice our deep bench. What would we do without guys like Head, Novak, and Harris.

It would end up being similar to the deals that the celtics made. Once you get a stacked team all the ring hoars will be lining up to get on the roster. Like they did with the Heat, the Celtics, and like they've been doing for years with the Spurs.

16. ssp0929

ssp0929 Member

If the Rockets are a good franchise, they will do what's best for the team, not just to one player. As great of a role model and player Deke is. The Rockets need to do what's better for the team.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Trading Deke is not a good thing for the team.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This senario is assuming Deke really wants to retire THIS YEAR. It wouldn't be disrespectful to trade him to another team on a huge contract. If anything, it should be considered a huge honor. Somewhat of a retirement gift.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Deke won't think that way! He won't want people to think he plays for money at his 40s.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Let me run through this again, maybe you'll understand better:

Assumption: Deke wants to retire this offseason and plans to anounce it in a couple weeks.

Proposition: Deke never anounces retirement (similar to Aaron Mckie and Keith Van Horn). We sign him to a lucreative deal to match salaries. The other team would be in on it to. Mutombo then flies to that city for a check up and "unofficially" retires. The extra 4-6M he banks is to help out his fellow rockets.