1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Morey be demoted or given a different role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by by78, May 2, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... Then why has Morey been going after Melo and Chris Paul since we first got him? Morey doesn't hate the mid range shot, you just have to be a good shooter to hit it at a clip that's better than hitting a 3 pointer.

2. dmoneybangbang

Are biggest offensive woes come from the lack of viable secondary creator. We are easy to guard because only Harden can competently run the offense.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

When you're making accusations such as a GM "doesn't know basketball", the burden of proof is on you, not anyone else. The same way that you think Morey doesn't know what goes on in a locker room, you & I are only aware of what Morey does on Twitter. Therefore we can only measure him by the moves we see him make, and the value he gave up versus the value he got in return. He has done pretty well in the big picture.

We don't know how Morey interacts with the team behind closed doors. I wonder if you think that Mark Cuban is a fantastic basketball mind because he jumps around and smirks on the court with the guys?

The iPad became a symbol of the Bosh negotiation, although we have no idea what occurred in the discussion. What we do know is that Bosh stated he was very close to leaving the team but in the end decided to stay and take it easy.

All GM's make poor draft choices; the ones who consistently make great draft choices like the Spurs, Red Wings, etc are the elite of the elite across major leagues. Being a GM is a lot more than drafting, fortunately.

This is Morey's first true bad season, and the real measure of success is how you react to a failure. This offseason (which hasn't happened yet) will be the measure of Morey.

This season was so bad that it's making people too emotional in their analysis of Morey (who has been annoying on Twitter recently).

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Morey is good with numbers and that's where his focus should be...

The coach needs to run HIS system and the GM and Coach should collaborate to get the players that will fit the system...

Morey is not an NBA coach and this is not 2K whatever.....

T_Man

1 person likes this.
  5. split41

split41 Member

That's why Hinkie quit

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

on point one- Morey has never and will never know what it feels like to play professional basketball and be a member of an NBA team so he will not know what happens behind those doors and neither will Cuban. FACT.

on the second- Morey waiting outside of Bosh's house with the iPad alone. You are confusing the time we almost had Bosh (When Lebron left and Mchale spoke to Bosh) with the time Morey tried to sign Bosh before he went to the Heat. Morey didn't have McHale to help him yet.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

To take it a step further, Morey doesn't know what it's like (first hand) to play basketball at a high level on any level. Not pro, college, AAU, varsity, JV, junior high, pee-wee, little dribbler... Nothing.

There's not many people in sports that can say that at all. I think this is a legitimate concern.

8. dmoneybangbang

And? It really feels like some of y'all are throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Do y'all seriously think Morey has zero basketball guys on his staff? Or doesn't listen to them?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My real concern with Morey is that, not counting his decades of experience in the NBA and sports - he doesn't have a lot of experience. Might need more of a breaking in period.

DD

1 person likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Perhaps Les should make Morey go back and take these a la Billy Madison?

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not even advocating demoting Morey! I just think he could use a former NBA player's voice in the room!

Look at this list!

Eli Witus- Vice President of Basketball Operations (Harvard Law)

Leticia Magana- Executive Assistant to the General Manager (???)

Gianluca Pascucci- Vice President Player Personnel (used to be a scout)

Monte McNair- Vice President of Basketball Operations (used to work at STATS)

Kieth Jones (yes that Kieth Jones)- Senior Vice President of Basketball Operations

NONE HAVE NBA EXPERIENCE!

12. HR Dept

Nor am I. Just pointing out that it is a legit concern. I'm right there with you.

#132 HR Dept, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  13. dmoneybangbang

Then how'd Morey become GM?

He began as a strategist for Parthenon Group with a focus on sports for 3 years and consulted for STATS INC. He then became SVP under the Celtics
    for 3 years. He was named assistant GM under Dawson for the Rockets in 2006 and became GM in 2007.

As far as big business is concerned, there are a lot of upper management guys with no background in the business they are running. So I'm not sure what you are talking about it.

And I am asking, are there no former NBA players anywhere on his staff? We know his scouts have basketball backgrounds.

14. HR Dept

Fair enough... I even deleted part of that post after thinking about it more. Guess I'm still old school in that when it comes to sports, I want my top dog to know what its like to play the sport that he's involved with. JVG was never a pro player, and I respect the hell out of him. Even still, he played ball through college.

I just don't think you can run a team without having an accurate gauge of the locker room. And I don't think you can have an accurate gauge on a locker room if you've never been apart of one.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I was tired of hearing this criticism based on hearsay instead of actual facts. So did some research.

I'm not sure whose side this actually supports.

This is all current NBA GM's as listed by RealGM. The history of reported playing or coaching experience is from whatever sites were available which typically included the executive's bio from their team's website, an article on NBA.com at the time of their hiring, wikipedia, and RealGM. If no easily accessible sources specified specific coaching or playing history, I noted it as none reported. I don't suspect people keep tabs on who played Pee-Wee Basketball.

[​IMG]

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Remind me what NBA team any of these Spurs executives played for?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/bios/index

17. Nook

Nook Member

I would also point out that there is a HUGE difference in playing college basketball at minor college and playing in the NBA. There is more in common between playing basketball in middle school and playing at smaller college programs.

I think that the Rockets need to develop a simple philosophy and culture and carry it through out the Rockets organization. I think changing coaches, assistants, losing key front office people (Gersson/Lindsey/Hinke) has hurt the team. However the "did he play in the NBA" angle is overrated. Hell, Morey worked for the Celtics for several years before joining the Rockets.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook, think there is any chance Hinkie comes back to Rockets like Gersson did?

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

If our teams plays the same under the next coach, meaning chucking threes and no midrange game then it's very clear that Morey is having too much influence and should GTFOOT.

20. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

What's missing in this thread is the idea that you learn whatever it is you can learn from an experience just by having it.

Wrong.

If you have certain biases you can easily not learn an aspect of a job, because you don't believe in them, you don't have an interest.

Morey has already stated in the recent past where he prioritizes chemistry and coaching, and since us fans can only go by what he says and what we see on the court, I'd say he doesn't have a clue.

Further possible evidence is Hinkie in Philly, Morey trained that guy and he didn't have a damn clue how to transfer and parallel what he learned in business to the NBA world, though he was pretty sure of himself.

Not knowing what you don't know, it's so common in adults, in this forum especially ones that have a huge ego.

---------------------------

BUT

Going by that pic let's examine the non NBA experienced GM's:

------------------
    These Teams have NBA heads:

Rich Cho - Has Jordan who is very hands on, literally.

Andy Elisburg - Serves the Godfather. No question who's really in charge there.

------------------
    Not Sure:

Tim Connely - Know very little about Nuggets FO, but did pretty good with Jokic, if that was even him.

-----------------

No NBA Heads?:

Ryan McDonough - Yeah he got Booker this year, but things not so great in PHX lately. Three PG disaster causing Dragic to leave. Morris Twins could be attributed to owner. Toxic.

Daryl Morey - Nuff said, answers to Toad Smith. Toxic.

Chris Wallace - About to demolish the Grindhouse, has Mr. PER stats analytics Hollinger by his side. Toxic.

-------------------