1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should McHale change the starting line-up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

No knee-jerk, just trying to see how people feel about maybe changing the starting line-up.

We all know Terry has not been shooting well, cannot defend opposing PGs and is just not a PG. Technically he is playing SG on offense 90% of the time, but defense is the most important.

We know Nick big dick Johnson is not going to start, so get that out of your heads, though imo he should get playing time. I know Brewer is a spark off the bench, but if any changes are made, I feel him starting at SG with Harden at PG would be the way to go.

Please discuss.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

There's that basketball saying, "You are the position you defend".

Ariza
    Harden
    Brewer
    Jones
    Howard

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I do think the starting lineup needs to be changed, but Dorsey should start.

Hack a Dorsey is our achilles. We lost all our momentum tonight because of his inability to hit his FT's. If teams want to do hack-a-Dorsey, we have to make them pay, by putting us in the bonus early. Give Dorsey the first 4 minutes of every quarter or don't play him at all.

Give Capella minutes, at least we would have some rim protection and surely he can't continue to miss every free throw.

Dorsey closing out quarters is suicide. Worst free throw shooter I've ever seen at almost any level.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

brewer starts at pg, or harden, doesnt matter. brewer will guard the pgs. terry and prigs as the backup guards. they are still serviceable players but shouldnt be in there for more than 25min in the playoffs esp vs the west stacked pgs.

they should give kostas as much pt as possible for the remaining games to see if he can get any kind of rhythm/chemistry going and get him in the playoff rotation as the backup 3 and small ball 4. dwight, smith and jones can avg 30mpg with dmo out, thats still a very good pf/c rotation in the playoffs. dorsey gets spot minutes

give some spot minutes for nick and capella too and see if they can do anything worthwhile in the playoffs. we dont have many options now.

brewer/priggs
    harden/terry/brewer
    ariza/brewer/kostas
    jones/smith
    dwight/jones

if jones or smith can make their threes in the playoffs then they can play some sf esp smith

6. indo

indo Member

Clint Capela now!
    it must be blind not to see that.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Mchale won't change nothing this dude is more pessimistic than most of us. Sorry coach will guarantee us a 6th seed in embarrassing fashion.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he won't change anything till we're down 0-2 in a best of 7

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nick johnson into the starting 5 would be a knee jerk move. prigs would make sense, but i also tihnk nick deserve PT against the spurs in order to slow parker.

i'd like to see:

dwight (36)
    jones (30) smith (36)
    ariza (36) brewer (24)
    harden (36) terry (12)
    prigs(24) johnson (12)

no dorsey. extra minutes for dwight because the division title is on the line. nick given some burn to slow parker.

10. CertifiedTroll

I would like to see us give Capela big minutes behind Dwight. If we don't build this kids confidence now, he is going to **** his pants if he is called upon in the play offs.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I disagree with people who say Mchale is a good big men coach I believe Mchale sucks at everything coaching wise. Capela should have been developed in nba games by now.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No, don't change the starting lineup. The Rockets have done pretty well with this starting 5 lately. But they do need to adjust their defense. Terry can't guard Parker or any opposing PG for that matter 1-on-1. Either double team him or switch Ariza onto him and let Terry guard Green. Granted, Green is always running around screens and picks and that's gonna be taxing on Terry, but he's mostly a spot up shooter in the Spurs' system. At least Terry won't be trying in vain to keep Green from beating him off the dribble.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Why not start Johnson and give him one job! Piss off the opposing PG.

We don't need scoring from him, so it makes zero sense to keep starting Terry.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

There is what 4 games left? fk it wing it

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

McHale doesn't need to change the starting lineup. The injuries changes the starting lineup for him.

16. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

My favorite lineup is

Harden
    Brewer
    Ariza
    Jones
    Dwight

But Brewer is huge for us off the bench, so I'd rather have Nick start. Or even KJ. Neither would have to control the ball much anyways and they don't need to be on the floor to end games.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

That looks about right to me. I might throw K-Pop and Capela a few minutes each the rest of the year and see what they can do.

The key is starting Prigioni at PG. The offense flows much better when he's on the floor, so even if he continues to struggle from 3pt, everyone else benefits when he's out there -- unlike Terry. Also unlike Terry, Prigioni can be a pest on defense. And considering he's the only true PG on our entire roster, it makes sense to get him in the starting lineup.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I like Terry off of the bench with Brewer and Smith.

Prigioni-Harden-Ariza-Jones-Howard is my preference. P&R with Prigs/Howard or let Harden create.

Then let Smith facilitate the bench with Brewer slashing and Terry shooting.

I have no problem with spot minutes for Capela and Johnson. They are athletic enough to be a big change of pace, even if they can't shoot.

I would rather sign the corpse of Luther Head for these playoffs than give Dorsey minutes in the 2nd half of any game.

19. thejav

thejav Member

Should he..yes..will he..no..

20. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

This. Thread closed.