1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play the final 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wendzall, Mar 7, 2013.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member

Hating Lin because of his fans is the weakest and most cowardly excuse out there.

If you don't like a player, at least have the guts to say so because you think he's a bad player and provide the evidence to back your position up.

Otherwise, you're just in junior high: "I don't like so-and-so because she's best friends with that other girl whose sister is my frenemy and I hate that stuck-up b**** who thinks she's all that!"

Real mature.

2. wapz

wapz Member

for sure. beverly's foul is a very good sign of his better decision making Plus, i also like his shooting. 0/2, meant more ball for harden.

yep, beverly should play during the last final minutes allowing for more heroballing opportunities and better energy like douglas!

3. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

u play ur pg in the last 5 mins cause he is not the hole and he has decent defensive paly, he was known by clutch since his debut on NBA, ANDDDDD u pay him $25M and he is 23.

4. mikster

mikster Rookie

That's exactly what people are ignoring. I love Bev defense but that's all he's good for really. He can't run and create like Lin does. How often do you see our players with WIDE OPEN shots with Bev is on?? Last night was an example of what happens when you can't create...dribble up then ISO harden for the last 3 mins...then you ask yourself wait how does Parson, Dmo, Defino get points and open shots? Can you honestly say we look more lost when Lin is on the floor vs Bev?? I'm not hatin on Bev...I think he's good and all but I hate how some are still arguing obvious between Lin vs Bev. Some would even say put Bev. as the starter LOL....i really don't wanna see ISO harden majority of the game.

5. mulberry

mulberry Member

Wow! You judge other people by their fluency in English. In my long years in this country, I have found only stupid and uneducated people have that kind of mindset.

6. loox

loox Member

Your nailed it! :grin:

7. zdrav

zdrav Member

Hey, remember that time when all the Clutchfans praised Lin for his hustle and tenacity even though he scored 0 pts?

Oh wait...

Let's get real. Not even the biggest LOF would praise Lin if he contributed ZERO points on an offense-first team.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Wow, you read my posts and don't get that I am saying that to make a mental determination on someone's psyche, you not only need to have talked with that person, but also to have effective communication with them?

I have found in my long years on this Earth that only bitter and spiteful people throw a clinical diagnosis around and propagate its veracity by repeating it within your own little community until there are people who think it's true and repeat it as fact....

10. wendzall

wendzall Member

Wow I must apologize but in going over my data set I realized I incorrectly added a couple of values for +/- which made a considerable change depending on how you look at it. First the correction:

For Winning games
    Lin: +4.7, 0.5 asst, 4.2 pts
    TD/BEV: +5.3, 0 asst, 4.7 pts

So as you can see for the wins without Lin they actually did much better than I listed before +5.3 vs +2.7. Similarly, I underestimated Lin's +/- as well but less significantly.

However the overall stats for the entire 20 close games came out similarly:
    Lin: +2, 0.33 asst, 3.1 pts
    TD/BEV: -1, 0.2 asst, 1.9 pts

I apologize for any confusion but it was an honest mistake.

So reinterpreting the data with the corrections shows that overall Lin is more productive in the last 5 minutes of the games by a +/- differential that is +2 vs -1, as well as higher assists and points in the final 5 minutes.
    However, when we look only at the close wins TD and BEV have gotten higher +/- than Lin. The reason for the difference in the overall versus the close wins is because in the close losses without Lin the other two PGs had significantly more negative +/- differentials (TD/BEV had -3.7 vs Lin's 0)

Overall, let me remind you that these stats are from just 20 games (which is a small sample size) so they are far from conclusive. But tentatively, it does show that Lin has outperformed the other PG overall in the last 5 minutes of close games.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Last night Beverly was +3 and Lin was -7.

Last night, when Beverly was on the court, the Rockets outscored the Mavericks by 3 points, when Lin was on the court, we were outscored by 7.

As noted in the popcorn machine which visualizes game flow (link below), the Mavs played better against Lin/Asik/Dmo which is probably why McHale chose to play NONE of them in the 4th.

Furthermore Beverly was on the court as we made comebacks from down double digits. He was apart of 3 successive 5 man units - 1 at the end of the third, 2 at the begining of the fourth, and 3 at the end of the fourth. Each outplayed the opposing Mavs units.

While Beverly was out, specifically at the end of the second and the begining of the third periods, Lin was in 5 straight different 5 man units spanning 11 minutes and each unit was equal to or outscored by the opposition. This was where the game was lost.

McHale made the right choice last night.

http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20130306&game=HOUDAL

12. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

This is simply racist talk.

There are tens of millions of people in this country who speak great English but know close to nothing about basketball.

There are many times basketball professionals and knowledgeable fans around the world than US who speak close to no English but are smart enough about basketball.

You have insulted all of them, especially so with your last statement.

13. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Thanks for your take on racism in current times, Stephen A. Smith. I'll be sure to look in to your sentiment when I remember to give a **** about what you think.

14. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Well said.

15. wapz

wapz Member

generalizing all lin fans as people who can barely speak English? wtf

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Right on.
    Totally agreed.
    Well said.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

18. muas2010

muas2010 Member

1. Yes. Mavs sure did played better against Asik/Lin/DMo in the 4th.
    2. Yes. McHale made the right choice last night in the 4th.

Yes on both to equal a big L.:grin:

19. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

lmao, I thought I was the only one who noticed it.

20. wendzall

wendzall Member

Once again the data on the OP only looked at the last five minutes of 20 close games. Not the entire game's plus/minus. This was to see how much the PGs had impact during crunch time, so not in the ebb and flow of the whole game.
    Also the point of the OP was to ask if Lin should play the last 5 minutes of games. This thread was not about comparing Lin to Harden, nor was it to critisize Mchale's coaching, nor expound any conspiracy theories, nor uplift Lin, nor hype Lin's abilities.
    The goal of the OP was to show that Lin is the best PG option in the last 5 minutes of the game.