1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play the final 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wendzall, Mar 7, 2013.

1. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

If you hate Lin, just say you hate him. No need to put out the pretense of you liking him but also hating him because of his fans, as that is pretty lame reasoning. Lin has no control over his fans and what they say.

2. trock

trock Member

The PG should at least be a threat (which, ironically, was the reason people were giving Lin crap earlier in the season). The PG, at the end of games, should be the guy best suited to execute the offense in pressure situations. There's a reason starters generally finish games. They work with each other all the time. They are presumably the best fitted to execute offensively and defensively. The difference between a very good team and a mediocre team is the ability to execute in the fourth quarter. Assuming McHale has some sort of scheme to execute, your best PG should be your starting and ending PG.

Now if you want to say that Beverley should be the starting PG, that's another story.

3. wendzall

wendzall Member

in fact, out of 20 close games we've only won 2 close games without Lin and won 6 with him in the final five minutes.

4. rinklob

rinklob Member

The mental gymnastics some people go through to justify McHale's inexplicable decisions are astonishing.

5. trock

trock Member

Reading some of this stuff, I think it's a combination of McHale homerism, LOF hatred, and anyone-but-Lin syndrome.

6. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Ok, if you don't get this antipathy toward Jeremy because of his fans, let me ask you this:

Did you ever get sick of Tim Tebow because that's all you saw on ESPN or heard about on forums, or read in the paper, etc.? Imagine that on the team you follow and love, you think that wouldn't garner some hatred or at least indifference toward someone?

I like Tebow as a person, as I do Lin, but the 24/7 media coverage and craziness of their fans makes them in to polarizing figures that a lot of people who cheer for their franchises (not just one person or player) just don't care about anymore. If Jeremy has a great game, I'm happy for him, because that probably means the team won. If he doesn't have a great game, I'm disgusted because I have to come on here and listen to half-wits and fools discuss their layman's opinion on a game which they never played themselves, and have a tenuous grasp upon in general.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Harden scores worse in the paint and gets fewer FTA attempts with Lin on the floor. At the same time, he shoots better 3's with Lin on the floor. So I would guess that they take Lin off they floor when they want Harden driving to the basket and getting fouled, like at the end of close games. And with Beverley on the floor, a lot of thing things change for Harden, but maybe the biggest is, Harden's plus minus is significantly higher.

Holy crap . . . it says Harden's +/- is 0.6 with Beverley on the bench and 2.7 with him on the floor!! If the coaches consider Harden their #1 guy, this may be all the explanation you need.

This player comparison is really useful. http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/player-vs-player.html#Jeremy-Lin-vs-James-Harden|202391,201935;year=201213;season=r

8. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

YA DON'T SAY?

Of course we've won more close games with Lin than without, he is in 70% of them.

This is how you use statistics to manipulate your argument. Good job.

9. Homie3

Homie3 Member

What a weird argument to make. Sure it's not the "main" responsibility for a PG to score, but when your team is down and in need of buckets, everybody on your team should be looking for opportunities to score.

So by your logic, the past championship teams won because their point guards didn't score? It wasn't because of Lebron/Dirk/Kobe, it was because their point guards facilitated well?

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Meaningful? Are you kidding me?

What is the signifigence of 8 points or less as your scope? It isn't defined or reasoned out. It screams pre-disposition looking for stats to back up a conclusion rather than the reverse.

Why is it about Lin and not about Asik? Why instead is this analysis not about how every player performs in the final minutes? Answer: its just a Lin fanboy trying to create a narrative and to pander to other LOFs.

Furthermore, he draws attention to Lin's individual statistics in that time frame rather than team performance. A sixth grader could write a better statistical analysis than this.

This thread is nothing more than one of a continious cycle of idiotic theories proposed by butthurt fanboys because their favorite player didn't play in the fourth quarter last night. I could just as easily post a r****ded analysis as to why Beverly should always close out games by incorrectly intrepretenting arbitrary stats.

2 people like this.
  11. roxxy

roxxy Member

No he isn't for two reasons. One international ball is no where near the same as the NBA Also our offense was fools gold all the Rockets were doing was passing the ball around the perimeter, a few Parson bail out 3's in the 3rd saved us.

Second the simple reason why Lin should play in the 4th is because he gets defended a lot more aggresively than Beverly does. bev gets single covereage & Lin gets double coverage.

So even if Lin scores 0 points in the clutch his mere presence forces the defense to adjust & allows guys like parsons & Harden more space to operate & puts the opposition on its heels. And also our best crunch time line up includes Lin & Asik.

12. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

Yes, it is annoying but you have a choice to stay out of obviously Lin-crush threads. I would say it's also equally annoying and disrespectful to Jeremy for some of the bile directed towards him over things that are out of his control. Some balance and tolerance is needed I agree. Maybe Lin fans can tone it down with the numbers of Lin threads and LOHs can direct their hate to something more productive and useful.

13. conquistador#11

maybe lin shouldn't joke about beverely and his coworker,mchale in his post game interviews!:p

14. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I could stay out of these threads, but if I go in to a number of other threads, chron.com, or any other fan-interactive media (twitter, etc.) regarding the Rockets, these people are always there and always the loudest and most disrespectful posters.

I'm just glad we don't have the same market as New York because this would be unbearable if I had to listen to it every day on ESPN.

15. wendzall

wendzall Member

You're right let me be more accurate since I had assumed people read the original post which more clearly shows that ...
    of 14 close games he's been in the Rockets won 6 = 43%
    of 6 close games he's not been in Rockets won 2 = 33%

Does that still seem manipulated?

16. trock

trock Member

I don't know if it seems manipulated, but it hardly is a convincing number one way of another.

17. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So ~43% winning percentage (disregarding the plethora of other factors here like opponent strength, other people on the court, injuries, etc.) with him and a 33% winning percentage without him is a statistical certainty for you? How about you take a standard deviation with that huge sample set and put a 95% confidence interval on it.... You'll see what a joke that is.

18. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

You and I both know the difference is 1 single game.

If we won last night and someone was posting this stat as a way to bash Lin, you'd be calling it out for BS, rightfully so.

But since the outcome of that 1 game is in your favor, you're posting it all over CF.

19. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Lol OP, i understand your trying to use facts to try and figure out the loss last night...but this is a case of stats not showing the whole story. Beverly wasn't in enough to really show a comparison of both him and Lin. McHale made a judgement call on benching asik missing a lot of fouls earlier, and beverly was playing some good D at the end. He was distributing earlier, even though he had 0 points I think McHale wanted Harden to get into a rythm so he kept beverly in. If Lin was in he probably felt that both of them looking to score wasn't the best chance. I dont really agree with his call, but you gotta understand McHale and the coaching staff figured this would be the best chance of winning.

20. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

You have posted some very meaningful data in several posts. Could you put them all in one post so we can understand and think better about them?