1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Length of Mandatory Education Be Reduced?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tree-Mac, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

I think 10th grade should be the highest grade, not 12. Here are my reasons:

1. Children these days are more developed. At 15-16, kids now know about many things such as sex, getting jobs, making friends, cars, -- basically there is not much more they can develop emotionally in two years.

2. Classes taken in the 11th and 12th grade are repeated in their Freshman year(s) of college anyway (for most). So academically, it's not fruitful taking say, Algebra 2 and then have to take College Algebra later.

3. It saves the government money (maybe hundreds of millions?) from attempting to educate those lazy students who don't want to go to college.

4. The money saved could go to scholarships or higher salary for teachers.

5. For the nerdy students, I'm sure by 10th grade they can have the hard classes like Calculus and Physics taken care of.
    A. Consolidate the math classes (8th grade - Algebra, 9th grade - Pre-calc, 10th grade - Calculus, fuc Geometry)
    B. Less bul**** electives. Motivated nerds don't need a foreign language class to feel self worth.
    C. No need for 4 semester of English Literature, what the **** for? :confused:

What do you guys think?

2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I agree 100 percent

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think everyone should finish high school having taken, at a minimum, calc or stats, physics, and either advanced chem or bio (and unrealistic as that sounds, it's probably more realistic than what you're proposing), so I'm gonna have to disagree.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Academically you make some good points but UIL/Sports domino effect would be huge.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

High school IMO was a complete waste of time. Only value is sharpening your social skills on learning how to deal with idiots which you'll need to learn to survive in the real world. If I could do it again I would drop out as soon as possible get my GED and just go to college.

That being said there seems to be a trend towards college credit courses during the last year or two of high school. Why not just have high school end at 10th grade and make the next two years community college. It's all the same classes pretty much. When I was a senior I only took one class that I received credit for: English IV. The calculus, physics, etc were interesting but I already had enough credits to graduate except for that last English course.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel students should graduate at a 12th grade reading level... A citizen should be able to read a contract, for example, and fully understand its ramifications.

A reduced secondary education would not achieve that aim.

7. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

ITT: 15 y.o.'s.

8. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Bingo, beat me to it though perhaps they could it do it like college athletics in that you have as much time as needed (within reason) to finish school and be eligible for four years.

Also, I had a big thread similar to this on D&D and I'm fine with the status quo but would tweak it, such as stop making everyone of the same age advance at the same pace since it can be a hinderance of both the brightest students and those who need more time to master a subject.

9. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I agree, Sophmores are filled out and look good. Perfect prime female age.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No. Having uneducated people in society doesn't save the government money. It costs the government money. Well educated people don't tend to end up in poverty. As Too Short might say, there ain't no PHD's in THE GHETTO.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought once you reached 16, nobody could make you go.

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

uh... no. Completely disagree. Kids need to be in school longer and earlier on. Your logic basically says that kids who don't want to learn shouldn't be around, but those are the kids who need more attention and help instead of cutting them loose with their cars, jobs, friends etc.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We should have a vocational programs in highschool. It's stupid that people have to pay up to 80K to go to chef school. We need more plumbers, AC repairman, and electricians.

14. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Perhaps not shorten the length of mandatory education but include more programs that either A. give college bound students an opportunity to gain basic college credit or B. prepare non college bound students for a trade career

I totally agree that at about 10th grade students have pretty much determined their future path. Not all students are fit for college and there's really nothing wrong with that. If these students could get an extra two years developing real world skills instead of filling the requirements to graduate our nation would be much better off.

15. ashiin

ashiin Member

And you wonder why America keeps being shat on for being a monolingual country.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This...

And this.

OP, do you really think a 15-16 yr old is ready for college? What makes you think they're any more prepared for the real world at that age than 10 or 20 or 30 years ago? They're not...mentally or socially. If anything, they need more school.

This is what I felt when reading the OP and those that agree...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5hfYJsQAhl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#16 leroy, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

yea, but he's saying they should make it go up to 10th grade to get a diploma. you can drop out at 16 but then you don't have a diploma

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's actually almost like how it is in Quebec. There are only 11 years of grade school (one less than in America), afterwards, everyone goes to a community college for 2 years to get core classes out of the way, then most university programs are 3 years which you apply for your 2nd year at community college.

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

lol, you think most 12th graders can make sense out of a contract as is?

i think there should be an alternate 2 year program students can opt for with stricter requirements grades wise

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

This I agree with. The current system, or at least the system I was in when I was in HS, works fine if you're going to college. But for those who wish to work out of high school, definitely worthless after maybe 9th grade or so.