1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should I quit now?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Cranberry_Juice

Recently found out that my company is making preparations to close and are making cuts to make it more enticing for potential buyers. Among the cuts are closing of districts, and employees.

There has been a lot of butt kissing going around and come to find out my boss has secured himself a 6 month severance while everyone under him is getting nothing. Normally I would not mind but his premise was to fire everyone under him and hire contract workers.

This morning I caught him lying to my coworkers and telling them that we will be able to weather the storm and all our jobs are OK. I unprofessionally got pissed off and called him out in front of them. it's gotten around the office and now I'm wondering if I should just quit?

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Quitting is better than being fired.

Either way you need to find your next job asap.

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Don't quit. Check out the e-book on FinancialSamurai.com called How to Engineer Your Layoff.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I would say yes, quit. Stop doing any work and start sending your resume out like right now

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Keep the job until you find another one. Going to be tough job hunting with no pay or severance.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I thought you were talking about smoking. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Unless you have money saved up to live off for a while don't quit. Just work and send out resumes at the same time.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Can't you collect unemployment if you get laid off?

I've never dealt with that. I have no idea who is eligible or what qualifies, but if you quit, i don't think you would qualify.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If you don't have another job lined up, definitely DON'T quit. Can't believe there are people here suggesting that. Unless you're terminated for some type of gross misconduct you'll be entitled to unemployment benefits. That won't be the case if you quit.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you quit you can't get unemployment.

11. Cranberry_Juice

Decided to stay, only to make my "boss" miserable. Him and I before the layoffs were on the same level, but our department head was cut and he was made defacto. Ever since then he has not done his job, but has spent most of the time kissing butt.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, don't quit. Don't make decisions based on emotion. Most of the time, you end up regretting them.

Stories like this make me smh when people suggest you should always be loyal to your company.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ordinarily, I'd say don't quit until you have something else lined up. But, calling out the boss in front of everyone the way he described puts him in jeopardy of being fired. It's better to quit than be fired. But Cranberry needs to assess whether his boss really can fire him (for cause) just like that. He may not be empowered or be willing to take whatever consequences come with it. He may prefer to put Cranberry at the front of the line of layoffs instead to make it easier all around. If its the latter, Cranberry can bide his time and look for work. But, if there is a real likelihood of being fired for cause, I'd quit before that can happen.

14. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Start your own business and have a Jerry Maguire moment.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was within a centimeter of going off on an old company's CEO in front of the main staff. Going off like you would at someone in real life, not a corporate setting. Really, really going off. I was hot.

I composed myself, walked out of that meeting and found a new, better job within 3 weeks. I spent the entire duration of my 2-weeks notice b****ing that CEO every chance I got until he stopped showing up.

Look for a new job unless you feel you might be fired at any moment and want to save face.

16. Cranberry_Juice

Well I am in a precarious situation in that even if i stay, the company will dissolve in the next couple of months. If the market in O&G were better I would have left earlier, but I am giving myself at least till July to find a new job. Whether I am fired or quit before then is dependent on my tolerance for my situation now.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

so...what you're saying is...if you stay there will be trouble. but if you go it will be double. what to do?

Should you stay or should you go?

1 person likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Never quit. If you are fired, you can still collect unemployment most of the time and while finding a job, it's better for salary negotiation if you still have a job.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_An5O5MRUUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Repped for the Clash