1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Houston have NHL team?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by houston#1, Mar 15, 2011.

?

Should Houston have an NHL team?

1. Yes

106 vote(s)
    50.2%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    49.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Houston is the fourth largest city in nation. It's so weird to see Houston without NHL team. I think we should have one. I know the NHL game is probably boring to watch, but at least we have a NHL team. Look at Aeros and they are really playing well, so maybe future Houston NHL team can do same thing?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yep. i was so disappointed when that got nixed.

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

personally, i would love to have a genuine rooting interest in an NHL team, but it will never happen.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

During the last great NHL expansion, they added four teams to the league. Nashville, Carolina, Columbus, and Atlanta.

Today, Atlanta is moving north to Winnipeg.

Damn that was quick. Their wiki already changed.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

coyotes here in 12-13. c'mon les!

6. MadMax

I hate this deal for Toyota Center and for Houston. Les is the owner, or we don't get a team. If he's not interested, the entire city misses out...no one else can own an NHL team here. I don't think Les has any interest at all. His "interest" in relocating the Oilers here was to create confusion for Watson's bid on an expansion team back in the late-90's.

Will city break the ice?
    Making the leap from minor to major league hockey remains a waiting proposition in Houston
    By JEFFREY MARTIN
    Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
    June 1, 2011, 12:21AM

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7589693.html#ixzz1O2OgGgwa

Fans purchased more than 17,000 tickets to watch the Aeros split the first two games of the American Hockey League’s Calder Cup finals against Binghamton at Toyota Center on Friday and Saturday.

The minor league team is seemingly thriving here, on and off the ice. But because this is considered a major league city, some wonder what might be.

“We love having the Aeros,” Janis Schmees said. “They’re a great team. But if we’re able to bring in a NHL team, we’re going to jump at that opportunity.”

Schmees is the executive director of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority. That organization would be one of the driving forces behind any such venture. At the moment, she said there is no such movement afoot.

However, if the NHL were to settle in Houston with the Toyota Center as its home base, Schmees said Rockets owner Les Alexander would own the team — specific language was written in the Toyota Center lease saying as much. If another individual or group expressed a desire, another venue would have to be located or built.

Alexander, who has flirted with the possibility of NHL ownership on at least two occasions during the past decade, declined to comment.

But is the NHL interested?

Gary Bettman has been steadfast in his opposition to expansion. When it comes to relocation, the NHL commissioner refuses to deal in hypothetical scenarios. NHL spokesman John Dellapina said in an email that Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly “will not comment on the viability or attractiveness of any specific market.”

Yet, Daly recently told a Seattle television station that a group from the city was interested in landing a franchise — presumably the Phoenix Coyotes, especially following Tuesday’s announcement that the Thrashers will vacate Atlanta and land in Winnipeg.

“We’ve had discussions with a group in Seattle,” Daly told KONG 616 last week. “Certainly (there are) people who are interested in having NHL hockey in Seattle. I would rather not get into specifics to be fair to that group or the process.”

ESPN analyst Barry Melrose thinks the NHL would be crazy not to consider Houston. While a member of the World Hockey Association’s Cincinnati Stingers in the late 1970s, he remembers playing against the Aeros in The Summit, which he described as “full and rocking.”

“It’s one of the biggest cities in the country and one of the wealthiest,” Melrose said. “I think Houston has to be one of the premier spots the NHL would consider. With Dallas having a team, it would set up a great natural rivalry, which is something the NHL doesn’t have nearly enough of.”

Referencing the Thrashers move, Melrose said the obvious roadblock in any NHL to Houston talks would be having a willing owner. And a viable arena — which might be an issue in Seattle — would help.

According to Schmees, Alexander and Toyota Center are a package deal.

For now, Houston remains an AHL city. Including Winnipeg, three cities boast minor and major league franchises — Toronto and Chicago are the others.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7589693.html#ixzz1O2ObULaQ

7. msn

msn Member

If Les blocks NHL by keeping a monopoly on the Toyota Center, then Les is an ass.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Houston is the 4th largest city in the nation, we should have one...

1 person likes this.
  9. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I agree. There are some teams out there in NHL that had difficulty financing. The most struggling right now is Phoenix Coyotes because they had attendance issues for past years so they have to relocate somewhere soon...so maybe Houston is next to get it.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

In order, here are teams that I think could move for various reasons.

1) Phoenix Coyotes
    2) New York Islanders
    3) Nashville Predators
    4) Florida Panthers
    5) Tampa Bay Lightning

Phoenix has money issues, and a sorry fan base. They have a nice arena though.

Islanders have bad ownership, and crappy arena. They have history though.

It's Nashville. Let's steal their hockey team.

I don't think Florida gives a damn about hockey, especially the Miami area. Not sure why I put Tampa, I think they're doing okay. They were owned by the same family that owns the Pistons.

I think Hamilton is trying to get a hockey team also.

the end.

1 person likes this.
  11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think the NHL playing a preseason game at Reliant instead of TC says a lot.

Too bad Reliant couldn't be home to a NHL team.

12. msn

msn Member

this!! repped!!! :grin::grin::grin:

13. MadMax

Interesting it's the Coyotes :) Their assistant GM sounds like he's rehearsing for a press conference after next season! (fingers crossed!!)

I remember there used to be an NHL exhibition game here every year when I was growing up as a kid. I went to as many as I could.

The puck drops here Sept. 23
    Stars, Coyotes preseason game may be at Reliant
    By ANDREW J. FERRARO
    For the Chronicle
    June 22, 2011, 12:59AM

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hki/aeros/7620900.html#ixzz1QbN2bXQR

This September, hockey fans will get to see NHL hockey in the Bayou City for the first time since 2001.

The Phoenix Coyotes released their preseason schedule Tuesday, including an exhibition game against the Dallas Stars to be played at Reliant Stadium on Friday, Sept. 23.

The game will mark the return of Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett, who led the Aeros to an IHL Turner Cup in 1999. Tippett left the Aeros to be an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Kings after winning the title. From 2002-2009, he coached the Stars, and he has led the Coyotes to back-to-back playoff appearances in 2010 and 2011.

Brad Treveling, the assistant general manager of the Coyotes, said the team is excited to play the Stars in Houston.

“Houston is a first-class city that has supported professional hockey for many years,” said Treveling. “We look forward to bringing NHL hockey to all the great fans there.”

Reliant spokeswoman Nina Jackson would not provide any details, saying there is no agreement in place for a game between the Stars and Coyotes.

“There have been some preliminary discussions, and we have been doing some due diligence on having an NHL exhibition game possibly, but there is no agreement in place currently,” said Jackson.

However, Dallas Stars communications director Rob Scichili confirmed that the game will take place.

“While the details are still being finalized, a preseason game between the Stars and Coyotes will be played in Houston,” said Scichili. “We should have more information once it becomes official and we know more specifics about the game.”

Eleven days after the 911 terrorist attacks against the U.S., the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Washington Capitals at Compaq Center 4-3 in overtime.In 1996, the Detroit Red Wings topped the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-2 at Compaq Center.

The Aeros, who played at Compaq Center from 1994 to 2003, helped to market and sell tickets for those games, but they are not involved in this year’s exhibition.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hki/aeros/7620900.html#ixzz1QbN9dTrD

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

haha, good luck if it's the Coyotes, minus Bryzgalov, they're about a Doan retirement and a Yandle injury away from being the Edmonton Oilers -2 1st overall picks.

15. msn

msn Member

we have plenty of coyotes in Texas.

Bring It.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's perfect as the team will have our stamp on it from the get go ....It's been so long ....C'mon!

17. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Houston is only in top 5 largest cities without NHL team. So hopefully Phoenix Coyotes is a team that Houston would consider getting. Imagine Houston Coyotes? I think thats pretty name.

18. msn

msn Member

"pretty" name?? i know i haven't grown up on hockey, but at least from casual observation i'm thinking "pretty" doesn't quite fit the bill. :p

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Maybe we can name them the Houston 1836.

Mexicans don't watch hockey, right?

1 person likes this.
  20. msn

msn Member

dude, I tried to rep this...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.