1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Hill start at PF next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LifeisButaDream, Mar 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. LifeisButaDream

Well for someone who knows nothing about basketball, i guess right most of the time.So am i just lucky or do i know what I'm talking about.

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Possibly Desperation! :p

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of those passes seemed pretty bad too me as well.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

His skills are best at PF. His strength and size are on the small side for a center. He would really do much better going against other PFs, strengthwise and skillwise.

5. sparky

sparky Member

I completely agree that he could play backup center, but his game is no where near the same as Eddie Griffin. Eddie was more like Rasheed Wallace. He could hit the three, in addition to playing the centers at times. I remember one time he blocked Shaq. Now, I think he wasn't guarding him, but he still was a shot blocking presence on the inside.

I love Jordan Hill's game, but he is more of a hustle big man inside than Griffin. Griffin was much more skilled and polished all around. For now, I would be happy if Hill could hit that mid-range shot and work on his shot blocking.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

we're not in the 90s...there arent very many 7 footers, who can play, with a lot of bulk. Some extra muscle would help, but so will his mobility against a lot of the nba's smaller or more mobile centers.

7. BetterThanEver

What's wrong with using Hill at PF?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has a role for now as a garbage defender who can take a charge,rebounding, running the floor and finishing. I like his hustling,he seems pretty smart unlike Stro. He has a nice short jumphook and can get better with time. I see him as a backup 4 who can get some minutes at the 5.

If he can bulk up without losing his athleticism,he might become a backup center.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The board is over hyping Jordan Hill, he makes a few good plays and he's already a future all-star. It's hard for me to understand, he has good potential, but him starting ahead of Scola at this point or even next year is ridiculous, unless an injury occurs. Hill has a chance to be a decent player, but given him early praise is one setting up for possible disappointment. Maybe, I could understand more, if performed like Darren Collison, DeJuan Blair, Taj Gibson, Stephen Curry, or even vets, like Carl Landry, Russell Westrbrook, Andray Blatche, or Marc Gasol. Who have put together a string of consistent games that are very much all-star worthy or very above average.

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not as long as Scola keeps on playing like he has the last week.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

unless hill's offensive game develops i feel this is how we should run our starting line-up assuming there are no trades or whatever.

PG: Brooks
    SG: Martin
    SF: Ariva
    PF: Scola
    C: Yao

PG: Lowry
    SG: Buddinger
    SF: Battier
    PF: Hill
    C: Andersen

i love chuck, but sorry i don't think we should resign him and this isn't what this thread is about.

overall, i feel that hill will take landry's spot as one of our leading go to scorers off the bench. over time i believe hill will become a better player than landry. he also bring energy to the game which i believe will match up with lowry's on the court leading to some good chemistry.

12. LifeisButaDream

PG: Brooks=O
    SG: Martin=O
    SF: Ariva=D
    PF: Scola=O
    C: Yao=O

PG: Lowry=D
    SG: Buddinger=O
    SF: Battier=D
    PF: Hill=D
    C: Andersen=O
    With most teams best players being in the starting lineup Offensive. Would it be a good for our D if we have only one Defensive player(Ariza)in the starting lineup?Yes Yao well help clog the paint and with his post D also.But is that enough to cover for AB,Matin,Scola?And who is going to cover for yao's(slow feet,mobility,quickness)?And do we really need 4 Offensive players in the starting lineup to socre?And do we really need 3 Defensive players on the bench to stop bench players?Would it make logical sense to replace Landry a Offensive player with Scola a Offensive player?Would it make logical sense to replace Scola with Hill now that we have added another Offensive player in Martin in the starting lineup?Does Defense win Championships or not :confused:

13. BetterThanEver

Rockets are fine with defense with Scola and Brooks starting with Yao. They were ranked 4th in defensive efficiency last year and ranked 2nd the year before.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2009.html

Nothing you have said proves that Scola should be demoted. Would Scola even want to sign with the Rockets after putting Hill in his place on the bench by dropping 45 pts last game?

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I think Yao should be assigned D/O. He has proven to be a legitimate anchor who can use his size to alter alot of shots. He was the #1 reason our defense was good as it was.

15. LifeisButaDream

Saying we were fine with Scola and Brooks starting with Yao LAST YEAR! and the the YEAR BEFORE! on defense doesn't prove nothing.

16. LifeisButaDream

I know you don't like Hill.But our coach will do what is best for our TEAM!Just like people didn't like Ariza starting at sg, at the time it was best for our TEAM!Just like people didn't like Hayes starting at c it was best for our TEAM!I trust RA to do what best for our TEAM'S Overall BALANCE!Offensively and Defensively.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, you might want to reconsider not taking your meds.

18. LifeisButaDream

Why is it when people cant prove a point they say things like this^ :confused:

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Deckard is right tho. I don't understand what you are saying exactly. Yes RA will do what is best for the team and no we do not know what that will be next season.

But as of right now, Scola is a better player than Hill. I think Hill has tremendous upside (which is why he was a lottery pick), BUT unless he has an amazing offseason (he would have to make tremendous leaps), Scola will remain the starter.

As proven in the two seasons prior to this one, Scola plays very well with Yao. His hustle, his ability to knock down the midrange shot, his passing ability makes him the best option for the Rockets. We don't know if that will change but as of right now it does not look likely (given the way Scola has been playing).

20. PeppermintCandy

Hill is definitely physically gifted but as others have said, he's just too raw.

He looks at least a year or two away from having a permanent spot in the rotation, whether as a starter or as the second-string PF. If he works hard, I can see him breaking out in the 2011-12 season, and hopefully he'll still be a Rocket if that happens.

But if the Rockets are serious about trying to contend next season, I don't think a Scola/Hill platoon, with Jeffries getting spot minutes, is enough for the PF/backup C spot.