1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Hill start at PF next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LifeisButaDream, Mar 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe it will, maybe it won't... the guy is already shooting and rehabbing. Knowing his work ethic, he just might surprise you. And even if this is true it's not that big of a deal. The playoffs are what really counts.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No doubt. The guy is absolutely dominating in the paint. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think he should start by next year, the following year, he should be ready to start in the All Star game. Then the next year we're probably talking Hall of Fame.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why are people pegging Hill into the PF position...

...when it appears the guy can play center in the NBA? It seems to me that more so than finding a replacement for Landry, Jordan Hill could very well be that "backup center" we've been forgetting since Deke's departure.

To me, that's actually more important, because potential backup centers are much harder to find than tweener PF with scoring skills. Not to mention they're generally much more expensive. Hill has shown that he has more than enough natural tools to play the position. The more I watch him, the more I feel he could be that athletic big we've been lacking for a long time. The type of player Eddie Griffin was unable to become.

4. MattM

MattM Member

he needs to become more consistent.

i do see the huge potential in him as a player for sure.

I'm honestly surprised many Knicks loyals had already written him off.

D'Antoni loved Gallinari too much to let Hill shine?

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

After last night's performance, Scola should be demoted to the bench. Hill is better.

6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

this.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He needs to add some muscle. But it is conceivable that he may be able to backup both Yao and Scola in the future.

8. Dei

Dei Member

Tim Duncan is a "power forward," too.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

POWER CENTER!!!

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I guess many people don't see him being better than Yao. He would be great with Yao as he is very energetic and gets a lot of the hustle rebounds. While he may become the starting PF, being a backup center duties also will probably be in his future.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

He doesn't have the muscle for C yet. Down the road, if he bulks up he could be a PF/C.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

bill worrell mentioned this during a game. he said the rockets focus for hill this summer is to add 20lbs.

i agree with the team (and your) assessment that the added strength will be key to his success. better low post positioning on offense, defense, and rebounding... combined with a nice scoring touch, size, and some athleticism can be an awesome combination.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I noticed that this kid has really bad hands. He has bobbled more bounce passes in the last three games than Scola has all season. He definitely can be a nice player but he certainly seems to have some physical limitations that keep his ceiling from being too high.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Most know I have been a big critic of Jordan Hill on this board. And the biggest reason has been because of his lack effort and attitude. Every bit of film I watched of him in the NBA showed a guy who seemed unenthused about the game. The Knicks complained he came into summer league out of shape and did very little outside of what was required of him to improve.

I don't know why he seemed unenthused but it's a fact in this league some have more desire and passion for the game than others. We watched very own TMac play sensational and then play like a lady.

I watched every minute of him as a Rocket and will say I underestimated his athleticism. I also think the last 3 games his played as a rocket showed more effort than any games or film I watched of him as a Knick.

But so much of basketball is mental. Scola showed last night how a man with little hops and speed can dominate a game with just desire and effort. If you gave scola Hills athleticism and size he would be an all star every year. For Hill his talent helped him dominate in college. In the pros he needs more. Adelman has already said he needs to show on the court consistently not just in spurts.

So for me it's not just about his skills on the court. It's about his desire to improve and be better and he has shown a new desire to compete again. If he can carry that over to the off season and come to summer league in shape and with added bulk than perhaps he will be the player that many on this board hope for.

For me that's still a big if. Will he become a new self motivated man or will he struggle his whole career just trying to get by on his god given talent. The verdict is still out for him IMO. But it does look better than I first thought. ANd for whatever reason he has shown more effort with the Rockets in a short stint than he ever did in New York.

15. LifeisButaDream

So did Yao.Its not a big deal.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Hill is very promising, but not yet proven. Nevertheless, many of us are excited about what could happen.

I wish to point out, though, that you refer to Hill's "short stint" not meaning too much, but you also give Scola's game last night as an example of
    Scola can only dream that his 40-point games would comprise a short stint; his previous high, according to the Chronicle, was 30.

17. LifeisButaDream

I guess some people on here have no vision.But that's ok,just like people said hill is a bust and we shouldn't get him we should get Chandler or Douglas.Then when we get him,he is just a thorw in,he will never be better then andersen :p dorsey is way better then him,he's just another mikey moore :rolleyes:doesn't have any drive to work to get better :confused: .So go ahead and say what you want.But come NEXT SEASON,there going to be alot of crow to be eating.

18. illteacher

illteacher Member

Are you a relative of his or just someone who knows nothing about basketball?

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, we really don't know diddly squat about Mr. Hill. We know he has potential, but potential is one of the most common things in this league. Potential is what rookies are. Let Hill learn from the staff and the players, see how he does next year, and then we can talk. He can learn defensive positioning and techniques from Battier and Hayes, how to score in the post and from spots on the floor from Scola. Moving without the ball, spacing. How to block out for the rebound. A whole host of things the rook needs to know, since you asked.

20. PocketRockets3

hahahah Hill is slow and looks lost when he's on the court at times. Those two factors are probably related, but there's no doubt he will get plenty of practices and playing time to correct his game. Right now, he shouldn't start but if he continues to improve, maybe. The only reason Hill should get more burn than scola is if he's hurt or gets into foul trouble early.