1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Harden take a mid-range jumper if left open or dared to?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cheke64, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Should Harden take a mid-range shot if dared to or left open?

1. Yes

137 vote(s)
    93.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

is that what is happening? last i checked hes scoring in other ways including his floaters. and the box score also continues to move without him actually scoring. that's just as important if not more.

but hey difficult midranges right. that's most important

RichieBanks likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think some folks are still underestimating Gobert’s impact on the Utah series, as hard as that is to believe. Defensively, the guy was incredible, in my opinion. How he was impacting Harden’s game, and not just his game, was huge. No pun intended.

Rustyrig, IvanLCPM, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  3. Wylo

Wylo Member

you're the one who said doggystyle defense takes away threes and midrange. so what's left? Harden drawing fouls or floaters? that's your definition of GOAT offensive player?

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it's near impossible to bother the floater, protect the rim, and stop the lob to Capela all at the same time. If I had to pick one player who was the best at all of this, it's Rudy Gobert. You have to have incredible length to bother/block the floater without putting yourself out of position, I'm not even sure anyone can do this other than Gobert.

IvanLCPM and Deckard like this.
  5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He had plenty of opportunities to do that this series... but that art of stop and pop has gone out the window.

Only 2 people do it...and they suck... Melo and Shump lol

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

it took away his stepback 3 genius. that's different from taking away a 3 pointer altogether

funny someone barking so much, you obviously haven't watched much of the actual game.

so you're really trying to tell everyone here he scored solely on floaters? your answer will determine if its even necessary to continue

7. Wylo

Wylo Member

Bucks also did it. and even if there are only three or four teams that can properly limit Harden's floaters, that's enough to prevent this team from winning a championship. The fact is, floaters should be one of Harden's moves, not the only option when his threes are taken away.

8. Wylo

Wylo Member

Harden shot horribly in this series. what's the difference between bricking a shot and not even attempting it? the end result is the same idiot.

9. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Hells yes he should. Always thought one of his most unstoppable moves/shots was that little post-up, back-down, then one-dribble spin-move he used to use to get himself a fadeaway mid-range shot. Haven't seen him go to that in a couple years, actually.

RichieBanks likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh is it? so during the first 3 quarters of game 3, it ended the same as the 4th quarter of game 3 for harden moron.

11. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Totally disagree, the Bucks chose to give Harden the wide open floater and did not bother it at all. They chose to hang back, take away the lob, and protect the rim. This left the floater wide open. Against the Bucks this year Harden shot 5/8 on floaters. I think he should have taken a lot more.

12. Wylo

Wylo Member

lol idiot, Harden averaged 37% in the series. that's your definition of GOAT offensive player? everything is fine?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

who gives a damn. they're moving on. he could shoot 10% and if the rockets won, that still would be the only thing that mattered.

14. Wylo

Wylo Member

yes because most teams have not scouted on Harden floaters properly. This is the first year Harden started using it regularly, so of course most defenses were not ready for it. That's why you shouldn't use this year's percentage to justify that it's a great option. It will become progressively less effective when it's the first thing mentioned on the scouting report.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently after 87 games, teams havent scouted what harden does including his floater. so we are told. LMAO

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Its about to be the 2nd round of the playoffs, its been in the scouting report since November.

YOLO likes this.
  17. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Well okay, thats fine, but now you're changing your argument. You said the Bucks did the same thing as the Jazz by stopping all 3 options on the drive, and I'm just not agreeing with that. In my opinion you have to pick your poison, unless you are Rudy Gobert. If you step out to contest the floater, Harden can dump it off to Capela underneath. If you sit back on Capela to the side of the rim Harden can lay it in on the other side. You can camp deep in the paint and the floater is wide open. It's very difficult to stop, and I don't think you can stop all 3 unless you are a freak with an 8 foot wingspan.

18. Handles

Handles Member

Nah, 4-1 series win over a top defensive team in the league is what’s fine. If you don’t think harden contributed to our wins, even with his poor shooting, you weren’t paying attention.

Denovo and YOLO like this.
  19. BreakYoSelfFool

Open shot means typically 4-6 feet of space. I've never seen Harden have that much space when less than 15 feet from the basket. He usually has 22 or more defenders within 4 feet of him all watching him. I think instead of open, the OP means uncontested or lightly contested, which is very different. Meaning that the defender doesn't put his hands up or try to stop you from making the shot even if he is in range. Its impossible to know if a shot will be contested if it was not shot, but I seriously doubt that he could get a shot off without the defender at least putting a hand up. Gobert blocked a floater from about 6 feet away, so I think even if harden stopped a few of steps earlier and took a jumper, which is slower than a floater, he would have been contested.

Harden is the best offensive player in the league and the only open or uncontested shots he gets are free-throws. I don't think he got a single uncontested 3pt shot this season

IvanLCPM and marky :) like this.
  20. Wylo

Wylo Member

another moronic post. then why do teams play Harden differently during the playoffs than in the regular season? what happened in 2017 WCSF when Spurs made adjustments to their defenses? didn't they know that Harden was adverse to taking midrange shots and all they had to do is limit his threes and drives?