1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should CPS be allowed to intervene if a woman tests positive for drugs before birth?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 21, 2013.

Tags:
?

Should CPS be allowed to intervene if a woman tests positive for drugs before birth?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Currently CPS is only allowed to intervene after the birth of the baby, but they can use past prenatal drug tests to do so, but the damage is already done. I think CPS and the court should be able to step in after the first prenatal positive drug screen.

You may have never thought about this before, but what is your opinion if any?

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

What do you mean by "intervene"? What would happen after the first prenatal screen? Never given it any thought so need more info.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

what drugs?

If it's PEDs or weeds, I say no.

4. KingCheetah

I hadn't given this much thought either so bear with me -- at the second drug screen the doctor calls CPS and says, "hey this mom has tested positive for meth at the first screen (says she didn't know she was preg) and the second.

Should CPS and the court system be allowed to step in and force the woman to quit using?

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pregnancy allows the government to force a drug test?

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

That isn't what is on the table. If, as a result of normal doctor visits, a pregnant woman tests positive for drugs should the doctor tell the state and have CPS take action?

I say yes. She is behaving recklessly before the kid is born. Once born live, the child should be removed from the perilous situation.

The government should not forcibly drug test a woman simply because she is pregnant.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Weed is extremely harmful to the fetus. Why anybody would be ok with that is beyond me.

8. KingCheetah

This is pretty standard with all women during prenatal testing.

9. KingCheetah

Much like cigarettes, but unfortunately you can't test for tobacco.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So when they test positive now they do nothing?

11. KingCheetah

There is nothing legally that can be done until the baby is born -- the doctors record the prenatal tests and report positives, but nothing can be done until birth.

12. FishBulb913

How would the women be "forced" to quit? Held in a cell and monitored until giving birth?

13. KingCheetah

That's the million dollar question -- if mom is smoking meth or crack should she be physically stopped from doing so by putting her in jail -- I think so because the damage she is causing to the fetus is far worse than getting her clean in rehab or behind bars.

I think lock down rehab is the first step and jail if she can't stay clean.

The second million dollar question is what do you do if she just decides to abort instead of quitting her drug habit..?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I guess I'm missing something. Who gave the doctor permission to test the pregnant woman for "drugs?"

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think the second question pretty much invalidates your entire proposal. Really no point of a woman keeping a baby she won't get to raise. Society restricting women's rights based on their maternal role is why feminism exists.

1 person likes this.
  16. dragician

dragician Member

being positive alone is not enough.

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Had a poppy seed bagel, better strap her down for 7 months in case she does it again!

1 person likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

Drug tests are standard with 21st century prenatal exams.

19. Buck Turgidson

I think the government should be allowed to declare people legally stupid, then they could be banished to some sort of giant island in the south pacific, along with the criminals and lepers. If only there were such a place.

20. FishBulb913

Guantanamo?