1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Big Z resign with the Cavs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redwhiteone, Mar 4, 2010.

1. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Cavs reach out to Ilgauskas

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

CLEVELAND (AP)—The Cavaliers are applying full-court pressure to Zydrunas Ilgauskas(notes).

Several of the center’s former Cleveland teammates visited him in New York on Tuesday, hoping to persuade him to re-sign with the Cavs and help them make a run at an NBA title. Ilgauskas, who has a place in SoHo, was traded last month to Washington in the deal for forward Antawn Jamison(notes).

“They told him they want him to come back,” said agent Herb Rudoy. “(Cavaliers general manager) Danny Ferry flew in the other day and met with him, too.”

Ilgauskas recently bought out his contract with the Wizards, freeing him to sign with any team after 30 days.

“I talk to Z a lot, not just because he was a teammate of mine,” LeBron James(notes) said after Cleveland’s 111-92 win over the Nets in New
    Jersey. “We’ll see what happens.”

The Cavs need him.

With Shaquille O’Neal(notes) out for the remainder of the regular season
    following thumb surgery, Cleveland’s frontline is woefully undersized. On Monday, coach Mike Brown started 6-foot-9 forward J.J. Hickson(notes) at
    center. Hickson scored 17 points with nine rebounds and two blocks in a rout of the Knicks, and he added 20 points and 13 rebounds in a win over the Nets.

However, it’s uncertain whether he can continue the pace.

Ilgauskas has drawn interest from several other teams, including the Atlanta Hawks. Rudoy said Ilgauskas is weighing his options and that the 34-year-old has mixed feelings.

“He’s got a big emotional investment in Cleveland, in the city and the team,” Rudoy said. “On the other hand, he was not happy to be used as a pawn in the trade.”

Rudoy expects Ilgauskas to make a decision by this weekend. Ilgauskas can announce where he’ll play at anytime but cannot sign a contract until March 22.

“He’ll tell me when he’s ready to tell me,” Rudoy said. “I’m waiting to hear from him.”

Brown said before the Cavaliers’ game against the Nets on Wednesday night that he had not spoken with Ilgauskas.

Cleveland’s career leader in rebounds and games played, Ilgauskas is one of the Cavs’ most popular players. But this has been a strange season for the 7-foot-3 veteran, whose career was nearly ended prematurely because of serious foot injuries that cost him two full seasons.

Ilgauskas first lost his starting job to O’Neal, an understandable move by the Cavs who felt they needed more interior size to dethrone Orlando in the Eastern Conference. But on Nov. 28, the night Ilgauskas was set to break Cleveland’s record for games played, he was inexplicably benched by Brown.

The sensitive Ilgauskas was miffed by the slight and expressed his disappointment days later following a Cavs’ home win, choking back tears as he spoke.

“I’m going to be a bigger man and walk away from this,” he said at the time. “I know when I go to bed at night my conscience is clear. I love this team. I love my teammates. They are like a family to me. I’m going to come every day to work and try my hardest. Hopefully we can win a championship for this city because they deserve it.

“It has not been an easy ordeal.”

And then came the trade, which although it had been rumored for weeks, caught Ilgauskas off guard.

Ilgauskas has hinted about this being his last season and he would like nothing more than to end it by winning a championship for the only team he has ever known. He never suited up for the Wizards.

Rudoy said he has received hundreds of e-mails, letters and phone calls from Cleveland fans who want Ilgauskas to return.

“They’ve really reached out to him,” he said. “He loves the fans of Cleveland and I know how much the Cavaliers mean to him. But again, he was not happy to be a pawn. It was really disappointing.”

Just for the sake of discussion folks. Should he join the Cavs again? It's difficult for a player who has been loyal to the team to be dealt like that. Please discuss.

2. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

I don't seem him possibly signing anywhere else. Cavs need him badly with Shaq out, and Z probably wants to go back and go for a title.

3. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

They are playing great without Shaq at the moment, and JJ is playing great basketball. JJ is going to some player for the Cav's.
    They will still have the best record in the NBA without those two anyway. Big Z and Shaq will only be needed for the playoffs.

4. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Does anyone actually believe this crap? To me, it seems like a charade the Cavs and NBA have planned to calm down comments like those of Phil Jackson about the ridiculousness of what is happening and to make it seem like this wasn't pre-planned.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is why you don't trade guys away and expect to sign them back later. Now I'm not saying he won't come back, but if they wanted Big Z that bad, they wouldn't have traded him in the first place.

Maybe he wants the best chance at a championship but now he has to weigh that desire against the firm knowledge that the Cavs view him as expendable. We will see what he chooses.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think he should go to the blazers, a Camby & Big-Z combo is better than Przybilla & Oden IMO, plus It provides two bigs that can take on the Lakers bigs in the 1st rd...

--RB

7. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

That would be a career ender right there, going to the Blazers. :eek:

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Absolutely. The Cavs are the only team he's ever played for so I'd imagine he's probably pretty comfortable in the Cleveland area. Plus, rumor has it that Cleveland team is preeetty damn good. He'll be turning 35 this summer -- go for the ring.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Please note that there's a difference in meaning between resign and re-sign.

/grammar police

10. MONON

MONON Member

As long as an under the table deal can't be proved, he's free to resign with the Cavs. That probably would be his best option & I'm all for it. That being said, I also think the rules should be changed so that a traded & bought out player can't resign with his trading team until after the start of the next regular season. That will eliminate colusion rumors.

11. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Yes, you are correct. That was the one that I should have put. Thank you for reminding me. I will check my grammar better next time :)