1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Aaron Brooks be our new starter at the 1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aznoob, Dec 17, 2008.

?

Who should be our starting point guard?

1. "Skip to my Lou"

185 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. "Can hit a three from I-45, easily"

132 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

I know it was one game, but Aaron pretty much shut down Mr. Big Shot tonight. He also contributed very well, offensively.

Rafer has been our best option at the 1, though, consistently. His defense on opposing points have been superb!

However, it always boils down to this. Everytime Brooks gets the start for a stretch of, say, 6 games, he is great the first two games on both ends of the floor, but crappy on the defensive ends the next four games.

Superb Offense, crappy defense > mediocre offense, decent defense?

Brooks > Rafer?

2. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Brooks was perfect. I love his intensity, and TMac shows his true colors when he gets to be the ball handler. Brooks never showed any signs of fatigue.

Trade Rafer and Hayes for a backup C.

3. snc

snc Member

I'm so glad you're not our GM

4. yobod

yobod Member

I knew a thread like this was going to be started by someone.....the knee-jerk reactions on this forum are the worse they've EVER been. It's getting tiresome.

5. redao

redao Member

Brooks >> Rafer if Brooks is given the same chance to play as Rafer.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No. No. No. Keep Rafer as the starter to get the most out of him. What Adelman must do is yank Rafer out sooner when he stinks. On nights when AB is on his game and Rafer can't do anything right, AB should get 30+ minutes and Rafer 20 or less. Minutes played is MUCH more important than who starts. So, to keep Rafer's head on straight, let him continue starting. When he plays well, give him 30-35 minutes. When he doesn't AND AB gives the team a boost, yank Rafer's rump to the bench sooner and let AB finish both halves.

What's really ticked me off this season is when Rafer is allowed to play the entire 3rd quarter despite being a drag on the team. I understand loyalty, but I think true competition for minutes at PG would force Rafer to be more consistent.

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Tracy was running the show tonight...which is why it might as well be irrelevant who the starting point guard as for the Rockets today.

I'd like to see a couple more games from Brooks at starter before I'd feel comfortable with him usurping Rafer. He has some real opportunities to prove himself though on this Rafer-less stretch if the two weeks thing holds...Dec 22 (@NJ, vs Devin Harris), Dec 23 (@CLE, vs Mo Williams), Dec 26 (@NO, vs Chris Paul), Dec 27 (UTAH, vs Deron Williams). Talk about running through the elite point guards of the league...if Brooks survives that decently, then I'd feel much more confident.

8. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

No, keep Rafer at the starting point. However, play Aaron Brooks more than Rafer.....

9. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

It's just to see what everyone thinks. If you didn't care either, why did you bother posting in this thread?

I just want to see what Clutchfans thinks. I'm not expecting a land slide here.

Personally, I picked Rafer. Although he isn't skilled offensively, he is pretty clutch, and he plays the PG position rather well. Brooks needs more time.

Honestly, Alston getting injured is great for two situations. It helps throw Brooks into the fray, AND gets Brooks some playing time as a starter.

More experience will help the kid.

10. redao

redao Member

Could Rafer survive that?

All we knew is that Rafer did not survive Billups.

11. Splash

Splash Member

Here's the problem. I understand that you want to start your best players. It's clearly at least debatable that Brooks is a better basketball player than Rafer. HOWEVER, if AB is starting, then that means Rafer is coming off the bench. Normally, what do you want your bench players to do? You want them to score at will. You don't want them to worry about running the offense. You want them to take shots freely. This is why Artest is coming off the bench. For the very same reason, this is why AB should come off the bench. Starting him would be putting a leash on him because you force more PG responsibilities on him, like making sure the Big 3 get involved. Leave the true PG duties to Rafer so he doesn't have to shoot as much! Let AB come off the bench and give us his total package.

12. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

No no no no no. Brooks shouldn't start. Rafer knows the offense the best. Stop with the knee jerk reactions please.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

seriously? :rolleyes:

i like aaron but rafer does a good job with the starters.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Rafer's bricking is getting tiresome too.

Imagine if we started a thread everytime Rafer has a poor shooting performance. :eek:

15. blender

blender Member

I say yes. Even in his rookie year, Brooks showed great chemistry with McGrady, as they can share ballhandling duties. And now that he plays a more controlled game, Brooks can really make teams pay for doubling on McGrady and Yao.

I'd like to see this starting lineup:
    Brooks
    McGrady
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao

Then, bring Alston on with Artest on the second unit. Alston can bring the stability that's needed to the second unit. Also, Artest can be more of the focus of the offense, instead of deferring so much to McGrady and Yao.

The big question here still is whether Brooks can guard the bigger and better point guards of this league. He has done well so far, but then so did Luther Head at shooting guard during the regular season. Then he got manhandled when the bigger Jazz guards came at him during the playoffs.

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Rafer is the steady hand that you need when you're rolling out guys like Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, and Ron Artest. He's really only a bad player when he's asked to do too much. Aaron is much better as a spark off the bench.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

but the big 3 doesn't play together until the final minutes of the game. Artest comes of the bench. Who do you want to be focal point of the offense when the second unit arrives? Artest or brooks? The starting line up doesn't need a playmaker-Tmac does that already. The starting lineup needs a scorer to make people pay for doubling Tmac and Yao Ming. With Rafer coming of the bench He can set up Artest and Landry for some easy buckets. Tmac or Battier should be in the lineup as well so you'd either have good offense or great defense when the 2nd unit is on the floor.

The main issue with Brooks imho is his defense, not playmaking. You need rafer because in the past the top pgs eat brooks alive. If brooks had learned to defend he can start over rafer any day of the week

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Rafer should start. But Brooks should be getting more minutes than he is. Right now it's about 60-40 Rafer with a little overlap when they're on the floor together. I'd like to see it closer to 50-50.

19. shioew

shioew Member

if we need to score, we have TM, YAO, RON, even our bench players. ALston has height and Ex. We need a better play maker, so I vote for alston

20. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

I dont think AB is a good PG, he is much like shooting guard. So I still perfer RA take the place of our PG.

Mostly important, both RA and AB have the same flaws, easy to run crazy. when we behind, they even make our offense more franticl..