1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shot chart comparison Tmac vs Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, May 4, 2008.

1. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw this somewhere. People might be interested to see it. Tmac actually shot better mid range, but his finish at the rim and 3pt FG% are much worse.

Lock up if has been posted.

2. bbjai

bbjai Member

I'd be interested to know if Kobe takes alot more shots then T-mac?

And if he gets alot more foul calls.

Wonder where i can get that sorta thing

3. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Wow T-Mac owns Koby's mid level jump shot. It's pretty obvious that Kobe's point blank field goal % is higher because he gets all the foul calls. McGrady gets hacked a lot and gets no calls. T-Mac has never been a 3 pt shooter, but when he's hot he's hot and can be quite deadly.

I really am quite impressed with his within 3 pt arc game.

4. Chronz

Chronz Member

http://82games.com/FGSORT10.HTM

2PT Jumpshots

5. blender

blender Member

Wow, the difference in the numbers for finishes at the rim is huge. By percentage, it's a .12 point difference, but by total number of made shots, Bryant has DOUBLE that of McGrady. Just shows how much more agressive Bryant is taking it to the basket.

Bryant: 320-513 .624%
    McGrady: 165-327 .505%

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I think they are very similar players, Kobe is maybe more consistant and maybe has better rand from 3 but their mid range is pretty similar

7. bbjai

bbjai Member

Keep in mind his key is alot more room to do drives to the baskets or finishes at the basket. The Triangle is like that though. T-mac has Yao in the way as well as Scola at times. I've also noticed there are alot of drives where T-mac could probably penetrate and then get it in, but he dishes them instead. But still he should even up this disparity a fair bit

8. bbjai

bbjai Member

that is no joke some interesting stats. I see T-mac has a long way to go. Look at Iverson, Wade, Bryant's foul %, a near 6% more then T-mac

9. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

the charts show pretty much what you would expect. kobe has the more efficient 3pt shot and he takes it more to the basket while finishing better around it. t-mac is and always was the better midrange shooter.

the problem is t-mac's shot has just been off all year since early in the season when he got injured after the really great start. last offseason when people here were pipe dreaming about t-mac being a potential 30 ppg scorer just because of adelman's offense i said he has to improve his shot to have a chance. i was right because with t-mac it's always about his shot. it's a confidence thing.

another story is the difference between kobe and t-mac around the basket. kobe has the body to take it to the rack hard. he can finish with contact and his body won't break down because of it. because of that he not only drives more to the hoop but he also gets more calls. with t-mac it's different. he has to think about the bigger picture. it's obvious that he can't drive like he did against the jazz for a complete regular season. he could do that when he was in orlando. but the mile age on his body and all the injuries don't allow him that any more. because he's hesitant with his driving and he's trying to avoid hard contact he more and more gets hacked with no call. so people who are bashing him in the regular season for settling for jump shots are plain and simple wrong. considering his bad free throw shooting, the lack of calls by the refs and the wear and tear on his body it's the right thing to do. the only problem here is that he actually has to make more jump shots. that's the point where you can criticize him. he has to shoot better. of course, the playoffs are a different story and so far t-mac has always changed his game in the playoffs.

my wish list for t-mac's offseason is:

1. get healthy again.
    2. work on your strength to avoid more injuries (back, knee).
    3. practice your shooting with a shooting coach.
    4. work on your conditioning.

there's no need to panic and trade t-mac. he's still pretty young and smart enough to adapt his game to his mile age. i'll welcome him back at the end of the summer. :)

10. bbjai

bbjai Member

I think strength is the wrong way to go for his back thoguh

11. marciagong

marciagong Member

Mid-range jumpers:
    TMAC :297 /687=0.432
    KOBE : 305 / 762=0.400

Between 15-inch and 3-point line:
    tmac: 42.9%
    kobe: 37.6%

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Why does this surprise people? This has always been the case with Tracy.

He is a very good mid-range jumpshooter when you factor in that he takes alot of them covered. He used to be a good 3pt shooter taking the same factor into account. He has always had trouble finishing around the rim (compared to other stars) because he is a very skinny guy.

Nothing new here, the mid-range jumpshot that some people hate has never really been the thing dragging his fg% down. If he could find a way to get bigger w/o his back giving out he would be able to finish better and his fg% would really take a big jump.

13. alaskansnowman

I, for one, am a bit surprised by his midrange fg%. It's higher than I thought it would be. T-mac's had so many brickfests during the season I think it skewed my perception a bit of how good of a midrange shooter he is.

That being said, T-mac really needs to work hard on his 3 point shot during the offseason. Either that or find a way to drastically cut down on his attempts.

His fg% and attempts around the rim probably won't change much. I really don't mind T-MAC playing conservatively during the regular season. Assuming we are healthy and maybe make an addition or two, we don't need him driving to the hole every time.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Not surprised, I've always figured that and knew that Mac had a better mid-range game and slightly better inside game than Kobe, while Kobe is better at his long range shooting.

Mac doesn't get same calls, but he might be a better shooter at certain points.

15. dafranchise0309

Tmac is a better shooter than I thought, and I thought they both shot like 1000 attempts from each spot during the season lol

I want to see 07-08 tmac vs 02(or whatever year he won his scoring title)

and also 07-08 tmac vs 07-08 joe johnson

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Tmac needs to finish a LOT better than that...those are HORRIBLE numbers around the rim....

People b**** about Scola and Hayes and their finishing abilities, but I would wager anything that they both shoot better around the rim than that.

Scola shot 57% in close and Hayes .557% in the paint.

Heck, those are Rafer Alston like finishing numbers.

That is pathetic finishing there....... .505% from 2 feet....atrocious.

Look at Novak's shot chart...amazing

DD

#16 DaDakota, May 4, 2008
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

...Yes his inside percentages are bad but you are a little off on your assessment.

Tracy Mcgrady always has about 3 guys contesting his shot because he is driving from the perimeter. Scola and Hayes often blow layups around the basket with little or no defense on them. That is why people b**** about their finishing abilities. Also, they are power fowards, they should be better finishing around the rim than guards. That's simply the way basketball is played. You drive in, draw the defense, and dish to the big guys who SHOULD finish with little defense around the rim.

He really just isn't big and strong enough to finish as well as he should. Kobe wasn't always as good of a finisher as he is now but he got better and better as he bulked up. It has very little to do with anything he can change so i wouldn't expect to see him finish better unless he finds a way to bulk up w/o putting pressure on his back.

18. iku

iku Member

damn novak is crazy. too bad his defense is a liability :(

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I forget where I read this...but McGrady has constantly been proven the best mass volume (think Kobe/Arenas...the guys who score a crapload becasue they shoot a crapload) shooter from the mid-range, especailly the mid-range shot just inside the arc (20-22 feet)

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Uhm. They're not FT's and he's not a Center like Yao.

Guards will always have a lower FG% than big men. You make it sound as if Tmac is taking WIDE OPEN lay ups. That is not the case. He is often hammered and covered by MULTIPLE defenders.