1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shortness of Breath

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Obito, Feb 14, 2012.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If your body talkin to you, you should listen...

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

and I thought it was the extra bacon.

3. Mummywrap

Mummywrap Member

You had a panic attack, if your problems continue, see a psychiatrist, not a regular M.D.

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

You need to do another round to see if it's really the drugs and not being healthy/normal that caused your panic attack.

5. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

You have absolutely no idea if he had a panic attack or not.

Go back to your MEDICAL PHYSICIAN immediately and tell him what happened, what you're feeling right now and what you took. Don't leave anything out.

6. Mummywrap

Mummywrap Member

I've had panic disorder for 20 years. I think I have atleast an "idea." I struggled with them for the first 15, because I thought my "MEDICAL PHYSICIAN" would know what he was talking about. Actually, now that I think about it, the first one didn't even know it was a panic attack, the second didn't give me the proper Rx.

7. Mummywrap

Mummywrap Member

Nothing really causes panic attacks, stimulants can be triggers sure, but you can never have them and one day, BAM!

8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Whoopty doo, just because you have panic attacks doesn't mean that this guy is having them and everything he is saying screams cardiac problems. No matter what the only way to know for sure is for him to go see a MEDICAL PHYSICIAN, not a shrink.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He said he went to the doctor though.

10. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Very very true, and just for the record I have no clue what is happening to him and am not trying to lead him to a diagnosis, but I'm assuming from his demeanor he's a calm dude and that's how he appeared to the doc, so you go in and tell your physician you had some shortness of breath and chest pain, they will do the standard test (ekg, xray yada yada). It happens twice in such a short amount of time, that's a cause for concern and would warrant testing for things that the physician didn't test for the first time, plus the 2nd history might help determine what's triggering the symptoms, assuming the two attacks are related. The pills that he took (that's what "rolling" is right?) could have caused the second set of symptoms all on their own and have nothing to do with the first time, but if the physician doesn't know that he took pills before the second time he could go with a diagnosis that is worse than what is really going on. I just want him to go to the doc because no matter what is going on he will not know what is causing it unless he is seen and tested. The worst possible thing you can do is sit at home and wait if you have a problem. We just started a new section on cardiac pathology and one of the things they said was "strain/shortness of breath when climbing stairs or walking short distances is not good, strain/shortness of breath when not doing anything is really bad.". It may be a panic attack, it may be super AIDS, or hysterical pregnancy, just go find out and be sure man.

11. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

And sorry for being rude/short, my bad amigo.

12. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

I just read your initial post (good description btw) and judging from the post you are a young guy which helps to narrow a differntial diagnosis. From your description, it sounds like it could be a couple of things. The first to consider is a panic attack, which has seemingly already been discussed pretty extensively.

The other diagnosis I would consider is paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). This diagnosis is not as well known as panic attacks, but will definitely cause symptoms similar to your description. This condition can be worsened by alcohol usage (and stimulant drugs) and is actually relatively common in young people. If you continue to get that feeling (tachycardia, chest tightness, shortness of breath), go ahead and call EMS so they can do a EKG on you during the time of the symptoms. Otherwise, your doctor can order a holter monitor (or event monitor) if the symptoms are recurrent. Hope you feel better!

1 person likes this.
  13. SacTown

SacTown Member

Bro don't listen to these children on cf.net. What you have right now is the beginning of an anxiety disorder. From this day forward you will be thinking about breathing, you'll be thinking about any pain you have in your chest, you'll think you are having a heart attack when you get heartburn, and once again you'll be THINKING about breathing. Breathing is involuntary. As soon as you start thinking about it, it's a downhill spiral. You'll go to the hospital a few more times, you'll go to the doctor and get random check ups and everything will turn out just fine. You'll be confused, you'll be scared, but it really is just anxiety and it is all in your mind. It happens to the best of us.

I'm speaking from experience. Myself and most of my family have it. Good luck man, try not to worry about it and do some reading on how to deal with it like meditation, breathing exercises, etc...

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A coworker of mine started having similar episodes. His heart checked out fine at the cardiologist. They figured out it was anxiety attacks brought on by low thyroid issues. Have a doc check your thyroid levels. This is a cheap and easy blood test.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If he hadn't already I'd recommend he see a physician to rule out anything physiological as he apparently did in his last visit to his physician, and then I would say he should see a psychiatrist if his condition doesn't improve. I don't think he definitely suffers from panic or anxiety but I certainly think it's a possibility.

I first had severe shortness of breath when I was 27. I was engaged to be married and I guess I knew I shouldn't do it, but when my episodes began I was certain I had emphysema. I have a family history and I had, by then, smoked three packs a day for nearly ten years. Plus tons of drugs and booze. So I was sure it was physical. I had every test run and they finally told me I needed to see a psychiatrist for it. I wish I had. Instead I just broke the engagement and kept partying for thirteen more years.

I finally started therapy and visited a psychiatrist for the first time a little over two years ago and I'm bipolar I and suffer from nearly daily panic and anxiety. And I pretty much always have. I just used to take booze and drugs and sex for it. The treatment I'm in now is much more effective.

16. Chamillionaire

I did extacy and I don't feel well. I don't smoke cigs and don't drink, but I feel bad. I've barely slept the past couple of days. I'm not trying to judge, but if you can't figure it out, not only do you lack football knowledge and listen to that crap dubstep, you are straight up stupid.

17. Chamillionaire

Doctor?

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

You should tell EVERYTHING you did to your doctor. HIIPA prevents them from telling anybody else so your info will be private.

So next time go tell the doc all of the **** you did so that in case he does prescribe you something, it doesnt have a reaction with whatever substance is in your body.

19. Chamillionaire

Xtc, do you even know what you took? Do you know the guy pressing the pills, I doubt it. And even if you did, how do you know that it's MDMA. You don't. Not sure if you know this but xtc burns holes in your brain. I know you think you're cool listening to your dubstep rolling with your peeps, but really you're just an idiot taking stuff you don't even know what is in it.

20. Chamillionaire

Do some of you guys think that doing drugs leads to anxiety? Is there no relationship between them? Batman said he'd been partying drugs alcohol 3 packs of cigs and whatever he could find to inject. R u serious? Do you not think doing drugs have bad side effects like schizophrenia paranoia anxiety symptoms???