1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shortness of Breath

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Obito, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Yesterday I was coincidentally on clutchfans skimming through the Whitney Houston thread when all of a sudden I loose my breath and go into some sort of anxiety or panic attack out of the random. My heart started beating abnormally fast, I thought I was going to die. I called my father who's at the motorcycle shop and he races home (took about 25 minutes) by that time my heart had calmed down but i still had trouble breathing, I found myself having to drink water & having to take deep breaths to relax. The feeling was similar to when you get too high & you can't tell if you're breathing & you can't really feel anything physical... except this was much scarier & I haven't blazed since last year.

Anyways, I go to the doctors, get an ekg, chest xrays, everything's completely fine. Doctor tells me that i'm fine and that it may have been a harmless anxiety attack. Thing is I have no stress at all, life is as good as it can get right now. I've also never had a history of anxiety or asthma, I'm telling you this was the most random thing that's ever happened to me. So I go home, i still have a slight trouble breathing especially through my nose but yet I have no congestion. I go to sleep early last night hoping I can just sleep it off. No luck. I wake up today go to class & yet I still have to basically remind myself to breathe. It's weird, you learn how to breathe instantly when you're born and it usually happens naturally, well imagine having to put effort into inhaling/exhaling.

I have no weezing, no chest pain, i don't smoke cigarettes. I went a little hard for my birthday. Drank/clubbed thursday, friday i rolled for the first time in a year (my favorite dj was in fort laurderdale) saturday i had a party at my house, didn't even get too bent. My roll was completely clean, i had a good time, no come down. I don't have any hangovers or I haven't been on any medication. Only thing is I haven't slept at all.. From Thursday to Sunday I had about 5-8 hours of sleep excluding sunday night.

At this moment i'm having a little a trouble breathing, especially through my nose. I don't feel dizzy or have a headache, it's just really annoying because I feel like it's all in my head but then again I've always had a a strong mind for these kind of things so it can't be that.

I'm thinking it's hyperventilation but does it really last this long? Does anyone have any remedies or can relate to this feeling? Feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I know this is long, you don't have to read/help out if you don't want to but don't flood the thread with "didn't read" gifs. Cause I'm cereal guys, super cereal.

2. Nero

Nero Member

You say you are doing drugs and drinking and not sleeping.

Are you seriously wondering why your body is trying to tell you something?

I know this is one of the hardest things for people to learn in life, but it is true: LISTEN TO YOUR BODY WHEN IT IS TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What did your doctor say about your weekend exploits and if that may have been a contributing factor?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

For the rest of Clutchfans, here is the TL:DR version so you don't waste your time reading the whole thing.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Not trying to judge your lifestyle, but if I were you I'd chill on the drugs and alcohol. If you start feeling better after laying low on that, then there goes your answer as to what it may be.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Take My Breath Away is actually by Berlin, not Whitney Houston, so I am confused as to why you would have this kind of reaction :confused:

7. Obito

Well I told him I partied a little too hard but I don't occasionally do any of these things. I never drink because I'm always the designated driver, I don't smoke, & the only other drug I've ever done is ecstasy and the last time I did it before Friday was in March of 2011.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Your body is stressed from no sleep and drugs. I'd advise to taking some Xanax, pop a couple of valium and chase it with some JD, then sleep...just don't get in the bathtub.

9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Did you do you coke?
    [​IMG]

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

With all the slang that was used, I don't know if you told him the total truth. It sounds like you didn't.

People need to realize that your doctor is not going to judge you based off of what you tell him. He may tell you it's not a good idea to do what you do, and he may tell you it's contributing to your ill health, but he's not going to go on a diatribe about how you're a terrible person, and he's sure as hell not going to tell on you.

By not telling your doctor the truth, you're potentially reducing your chance of getting an accurate diagnosis.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

C'mon guys, he's obviously just a HUGE Whitney Houston fan...

2 people like this.
  12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This happened when my dad died and when I got passed over for a promotion at work once (both times were at home and in private), unsettlingly enough I think the best prescription is to cry or verbally vent more.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You did drugs and alcohol for three days with almost no sleep. That's what's wrong with your body.

This is like a broke guy wondering why he never has any money, meanwhile his credit cards are maxed out.

Or you could be a crackhead that just got a hold of the wrong stuff.

[​IMG]

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What does this sentence even mean?

No, no, no. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

15. Obito

I agree, that was my mindset but since this scared the **** out of me, I told him it was my birthday weekend so I did MDMA, drank more alcohol then i usually do & haven't gotten much sleep. He told me he always has patients telling him they did esctacy since it's miami.

The diagnosis he gave me was "Anxiety reaction with hyperventilation" "Instructions: No strenuous activity. Rest for two days until better. Drink plenty of fluids". I'm just gonna try to rest & relax, update you guys in a couple of days.

Thanks for those who contributed, I don't mind joking around, RV6 post made me lol. Just don't be a total tool like justtxyank. No reason to judge somebody you don't even know.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

its a bunch of things, it could be stomach related, acid reflux sometimes causes pressure around the heart area which could lead for you to thing that your heart is beating hart against your chest...

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you'll be alright man. Lay off the drugs and alcohol and sleep more.

I went through anxiety and panic attacks for 10 years. It took me a long time to get it under control, but making good positive changes in your life goes a long way towards recovery. Just for reference, when I use to get those type of attacks, I remember sometimes I'd last 2-3 hours trying to get myself under control.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pezmonger

Pezmonger Member

Sounds like hypertension spike from drinking/partying. Same thing happened to me last week. I broke out into a sweat, heart was racing, and couldn't catch my breath. Felt like a mild electric current was coursing through me. No chest pains, though. I took deep breaths, walked around, and everything stabilized. Scared the living crap out of me.

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Get your blood pressure checked.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

yeah, my buddy was telling me that he felt like that after a long week of partying (cocaine on occasion) and I took him to a wal-mart blood pressure machine and bingo. I told him to chill out and stop drinking for a while. He took my advice and will avoid Vegas for a long while. He's 30 btw.

Be careful if you take Ecstasy in pill form. There are a lot of garbage out there with BZP, cocaine, meth or just DEX. I don't condone it but small MDMA use in it's pure form with proper hydration is won't kill you. Invest in a testing kit.