1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shortcut virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fba34, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Hi guys. Need some help with our finer IT savvy members.

Its been awhile since I've used a personal laptop thats not work issued with full protection, and windows 10 at that. So when I got one a few weeks back, and my wife's teenage sister decided to stick my external hard drive to her infected laptop, she basically infected my hard drive and now laptop with the Shortcut Virus.

I had to look it up to identify whats its called and tried a few things that first popped up on Google Search and Youtube, ran windows 10 scans and its not really doing much.

If anyone's familiar with this or has had experience removing it, I'd appreciate it. Need to clean the laptop and the external hard drive and a few USB sticks. Wondering which should be cleaned first too.

2. Dei

Dei Member

Malwarebyte Anti-Malware

3. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Tried downloading it but had problems running it, which some people are experiencing due to the virus stopping the installation process.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

First go to :task manager

Under details :find this "wscript.vbs " and choose to kill process.

Install antivirus of your choice + install " USBfix"

I find this program quite effective :adware cleaner

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pics of in-law?

Always works.

Also, do you have a backup date set up before the virus was put on the computer?

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This was one of the biggest factors in my decision to finally switch over to a Mac last year. Even though I'm not totally immune to malware on iOS, it just feels safer with this less effort and maintenance.

My trick to clean my old PC was to boot in Safe Mode, then install and run Malwarebyte and Windows Defender. Good luck!

7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Dear penthouse forum: