1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[shopping] Headphones?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jasonemilio, Jun 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I'm lookin around for a good on-ear/around ear headphones.

I've never bought one before (though I've always wanted one), so Im gonna need some tips on finding the best one for me

My specs & quote requirements/preferences

-$50~$100 is a good range for a noob like me

-Good sound. I listen to literally all types of music, from rap/urban ish to classic rock, so I don't need one that's all hyped on just low bass or something, for example.

-Good noise cancellation

-Good w/ iPod and light and portable

-Good durability & decent brand name.

Also: Are on-ear headphones more common or more comfortable/better?

Thanks ahead of time peeps.

2. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. DreHNIC

DreHNIC Member

Sony.......

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Any particular model ?

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dont listen to this guy

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Heard the Dre's are incredibly overrated (not surprised)

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I own a pair. Overrated? No, they sound great and have very good bass. Best bass I'd heard on a commercially available pair of cans.

Overpriced? Yes. I paid $180 for a pair of Studios with a Monster sponsorship discount. That's about as much as I'd pay for them.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Actually, they make one of the best sets of noise cancelling headphones on the market. (Bose) They just happen to be very much out of the OP's price range.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Your price range is a bit low for the preferences you listed. For that price you will get something more than likely mediocre that'll break after a year or two. Not to mention you wont get the sound quality of a decent pair of headphones which is really important especially if you are going over the ear.

If possible and you can increase your range up to about ~$150 I would recommend Klipsch, particularly these: http://www.klipsch.com/image-one-on-ear-headset

These are great headphones that have very good sound across all ranges. Also, the lasting power on these babies is gonna be long because Klipsch makes amazing products. If you don't know the company, they are a big name in the headphone game for a number of years now. Their in ear "image s4" brand has been one of the top rated sellers for the past i'd say few years now.

But yeah, these headphones are very solid. The one thing you might not like is that they do not have a built in noise cancelling function. However, like any high end over the ear headphone their cup is made excellently to suction off external noise. You will hardly ever hear the environment around you.

Also, as with any other over the ear headphone prolonged use will make your ears hurt. So i would not recommend using them for more than an hour or so in one session without a break. But that pretty much goes for any over the ear headphone just because of the suction especially if you wear glasses!

To answer your last question: over the ear is almost always better for a few reasons. One is that they usually deliver a more powerful and clear sound than in ear because of their size and design. There are some in ear that stand up to over the ear, but they are very pricey. Other than that, it's also beneficial because you lessen the risk of damaging your hearing as compared to in ear headphones for obvious reasons. Personally I don't think they are more comfortable just because you have something on your ears as opposed to a thin strand in your ear. But, they can be quite soft and are definitely not a nuisance in any way except until prolonged use like I mentioned earlier. They are also very trendy nowadays.

Anyways, hope I answered some things. I'm kind of an audiophile so I hope that helped :grin:

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Turtle beaches

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Audio-Technica ATHANC7 are some of the best priced noise cancelling headphones around.

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Thanks for the help bro! :)

And I was talking about the on/over-ear vs around the ear. I know for pure audio purposes , the around ear is always better, but I like the former cause it just looks less clunky

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Are the ones I referenced pretty good for what I spec'd?

Like I said, I"m new to the game so I don't know what brand here is reliable and whatnot

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

i am also looking for some headphones. I have some Shure in ears but i don't wear them as much.

are there any compact headphones so i don't look like a dj in the gym or on the plane?

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Do these f**kers ever go on sale!!?

I want a pair... I know I will basically be paying for the look. If these damn things would go down to $100 I would scoop a pair up, but they are NEVER on sale.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Oh ok, yeah the difference between over the ear and around the ear is not anything way too drastic in most cases especially in that price range. Now the ones that are like 500+ definitely but that's another story.

So anyways, even most of the around the ear ones I have tend to be on the smaller end (physically) because I also don't like the clunky look or feel. My favorite atm are the sennheiser HD650's because they sound so great and feel so nice.

But for your case I would definitely go with over the ear.

The ones you pulled up on amazon look to be a good buy. AKG produces solid headphones and their high end line is highly regarded as some of the best headphones on the market. I'm not overly familiar with the specific ones you linked, but they seem to be pretty traditional for mid range headphones. In the end a lot of it comes down to what you are listening to and the differences in audio tend to be minute. Also I wouldn't be too hung up on trying to figure out the difference between sound quality because a lot of it relies on the source material. The quality of good mid range headphones might be within a few notches of each other and most likely you wont notice a big difference between them.

For a first buy I think AKG is a solid company to go with. They are good and will probably prepare you for something more high end later down the road if you choose to go that route. Good luck! Hope you find some you enjoy.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I know I keep referencing Klipsch..

...but just get the Image S4. They are some of the best headphones you can buy at any price range and at $80 they are the best value you can get.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/5241...79&c=0&o=pla&gclid=CJ6q4vGE0rACFYFo4Aodsw253Q