1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting in Colorado

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dockerland, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ILoveTheRockets

They interviewed someone that was one his past professors(I think that was his title)

But he alluded to the fact that dropping out of the course James Holmes was in was a very very very rare occurrence and unusual.

I'm sure the FBI has already gotten to his professors and asked them to stay away from interviews until the conclusion of the investigation. So, we might not hear about his mental state from the school for a little bit.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I have first-hand experience with a bi-polar family member and I wouldn't put anything past that family member as far as what they would do if untreated and on a manic high because person perceives things which aren't real and feels need to react to them in some way. And, talking to family member like that is like talking to a total stranger. To top it all off, once the family member is back under control/medicated, the person totally forgets what happened prior while unmedicated (i.e. no knowledge of actions or thoughts). The same thing could happen with this dude. He could be treated and have no knowledge of what he did once back under control via medication.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What i find weird is that he told the police about his apartment. At that point, i figured the guy recently snapped and quickly put the plan together, before having time to think it over and feel bad. then after shooting them, he felt bad and didn't want to hurt anyone else. that would make sense.

But not only do we know he planned this for months and very carefully, but now he's at the courthouse showing no remorse or emotion. Why would a guy like that care, if his apartment blew and killed people? How could a guy like that even begin to tell them it was rigged? He's not even talking or acknowledging anyone.

You'd expect him to stay the same throughout or feel bad later on, but it's like he went tough guy, then softened up, and then tough guy again? Doesn't make sense.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Bale visiting Aurora hospital

[​IMG]

5. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Awesome.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Seems petty but can you imagine on the night of your batman finale, in the screening specifically designed for the most hardcore fans, dozens of those fans are shot?

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apparently someone started this on FB:

[​IMG]

#647 RV6, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

so we can thank these 2 idiots when we have to go through metal detectors and screenings at the movie theater now.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

until it's harder to get these guns, expect this to happen again

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

2? Well, at least the back doors might all be alarmed from now on. If I was a victim, I would be sort of pissed that someone can just prop the backdoor open and nothing be done about it...not litigious pissed, but I'd find that stupid considering that it's been a sneak-in trick done for over 30 years and theaters just don't give a damn about alarm arming those exits.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I wouldn't go as far as the lawsuits, but a theater isn't really the same as a public building. People entering either have tickets or are employees or other special circumstances. Some even have cops and security at the front door. All non exits should be emergency exits only, and should be wired for such. The main reason that doesn't happen is too many people abuse emergency exit doors and the alarms go off, but then it's up to the business to put up better deterrents. Just coming at it from a business owners' perspective...just don't like that a back door can be propped open for an extended amount of time...I don't accept that situation as being unavoidable in the future.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Very cool of Christian Bale to do that. Just awesome.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those patients must be thrilled that Batman visited them.
    Patrick Bateman needs to visit that idiot shooter.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Even if that door was wired as an emergency door and it set off the alarm, how would that have deterred Holmes?

Anyone in that theater would have been confused why the alarm was going off. Others who saw Holmes leave out that door, setting off the alarm, would have stayed in the theater. All they see is some prankster leaving out the fire alarm. Nobody would have left the theater.

Back doors being propped open cannot be effectively monitored unless you have an actual doorman at every door. I don't see how you could force every door closed within seconds and prevent the latching mechanism from being tampered with short term.

16. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Christian Bale just moved up a couple of notches in my book, very cool thing to do.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Being one of the best actors in the world and playing Batman wasn't enough???

18. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Yep he's a great actor but kinda had a rep for being a jerk (remember his tantrum on the terminator set ?)

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

those are superficial things

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Those are fair points.

I'm not sure that the door is directly one side out and one side theater room...there could be a hallway or at least a little dark area. Anyhow, the main reason why many of these doors aren't armed is probably because too many people set them off. But there are mechanisms that sound the alarm when the door is open and then shut off when the door is closed, so that the alarm would be constant if the door was propped.

Theaters have to weigh the burden of this hassle in the future (which will be common) vs. not having any alarm w/the potential of another massacre (which is low...hopefully nothing). If there was a constant alarm and I was in the theater, I definitely would have at the very minimum, been snapped out of my suspension of reality. If shutting the door was the only way to turn off the alarm, that would force the shooter to come through the front. He still would have killed many people, but imo it would be a better situation than having the guy in the front of the theater and everyone being ducks in a barrel, caught up in a movie, and then suffering the tear gas at the same time.

I can't fairly say whether or not the difference is significant, but I'd prefer my scenario over what happened from a potential audience member perspective. Also, I'd prefer it from an loss prevention perspective: cameras on the emergency exits to catch anyone letting their friends in. Kick them all out and resell the seats if necessary. As a business owner, I hate thieves.