1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[shhh! Let's hide!] Democratic debate Saturday night!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 18, 2015.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Haha not a single comment during the debate!

Low energy party

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The Rockets were on
    plus The Cowboys, Baylor/A&M and Katy/Lake Travis

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There was a debate?

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My Fox worshipping in-laws are visiting and wanted to watch (I reckon with the intent of insulting Clinton, Obama, etc). So while I was working on a project they watched and I half-listened. With two exceptions: one comment about border control during the discussion about the heroin problem in the northeast, and one comment trying to counter the rise in CEO pay (he used to work for AT&T, so he weakly commented that telephone company CEO's are that high; the AT&T CEO and the Sprint CEO are both $25-50M/Yr I believe), they didn't have much to try to complain or insult.

All three candidates spoke well, used a reasonable blend of facts and personal stories to make their points, and with one small exception, spoke politely towards each other. Clinton was obviously in command, Bernie seemed passionate and well thought out, and O'Malley did his best to present his experience alongside two more elevated figures.

The most noteworthy parts: Bernie's apology and challenge to Clinton to have an independent counsel investigate all missdoings, and Clinton's odd tardiness at returning to the stage after a break (with an uncomfortable, "sorry"). Nice seeing and learning about Bernie's and O'Malley's spouses. But even there, Clinton's spouse (who wasn't there) was the most compelling story.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Telling when a partisan attacks "low energy" versus substance. This shows so heavily at the GOP debates, which could easily be mistaken for LARPing, given their low fact content.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

...and now the liberal media outlets are complaining because the debate didn't address climate change!

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Why is this a problem?

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Clinton: Time to send ground troops to Syria.
    O'Malley: Bernie Sanders is old.
    Sanders: Let's follow the rules.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I wish Obama could run for a third term.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Dems better be careful, if Bernie decides to go 3rd party, there are enough whack jobs to vote Bernie and gift the election to the Republicans.

Would end up with first flamboyantly gay President in USA history. I wonder if Cruz would wear lipstick when sworn into office.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The debate was on Saturday bc, quite frankly, the Democratic candidates don't get high ratings. People would much rather watch candidates that are probably going to say something outrageous and stupid- thus the Republicans are prime time.

BTW, the quote you use for your signature is the most ill-advised one for you to use if you consider yourself a conservative. If there's one characteristic that unites conservatives, it's that they are generally averse to change. "Keeping the status quo" is practically their mantra. Conservatives, whether Republican or Democrat, have been opposed to all the major movements of change in our country- Civil Rights, women's right to vote, etc.- so that quote from Einstein defines conservatives as stupid.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

After watching it, I honestly can't see why Bernie would care about the number of debates or their timing. 90% of his answers were, I agree with much of what the Secretary and the Governor just said. I would like to add that this is a rigged economy. Thank you. Seriously, there is like a 2% difference between the campaigns, and all of that difference is in how many trillions of dollars they want to increase spending. Do we want merely increased subsidies under a revised ACA, or full single payer? Do we want free college only for those whose parents can't just write out a check, or free college for everyone?

I guess there was one other point of contention. When it comes to the private sector, should we only massively increase the taxes on business, or actually go out and dismantle large businesses? I am shocked that none of them are pushing for Basic Income.

13. dandorotik

I think you mean "outlet" b/c the only one mentioning it was the Huffington Post. And why do you even look at that site? You know, you don't have to lie to make your point- just be honest and say "The Huffington Post is complaining..." You're better than that.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Again, this thread is just a sign of desperation. The democratic debate didn't have all of the senseless bickering, drama and delusional propaganda that the far right looks for. If that's a disappointment, I hope to be disappointed for awhile.

It was great to listen to intelligent candidates though. The only true intellectual on the right is Jeb, but he doesn't have a chance in hell with that last name. If George finally apologized for leaving one of the biggest messes in history, people wouldn't want to barf when hearing his family's last name.

15. dandorotik

Paul sounds fairly educated. The rest? The problem is that they are educated in certain areas, but then they are woefully lacking in others. EX: Carson has a fairly intelligent medical mind, but he's really dumb in other areas. And the things they say are absolutely cringe-worthy.

16. dandorotik

"....lying, fat, grandmother candidate..." - so you are insulting overweight people and grandmothers to make your point. Congratulations, you have officially become the weakest conservative poster on this board. Bobby the great, ATW, and others put you to shame b/c at least they base their opinions on facts and don't resort to name-calling. You need to gracefully step aside and let the adults dictate the discussion.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

that's all he's got. no substance.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

says the guy who posts the same dumb picture over and over and over and over and over again and thinks its good.

inb4 cash pic

1 person likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

what you said sounds logical in theory. But at the same time the dems have 11 months to engage people. When their candidate is all but certain at this point. There really is no reason to push her hard in front so far ahead of time.

20. dandorotik

You do realize that the reason I do that over and over and over and over and over and over again is tongue-in-cheek, right? Well, I guess not since you felt the need to bring it up. Tell you what, next time I do that, I'll put in a disclaimer for simple-minded people like you that I'm doing it on purpose just the same way people post the "My Life" picture or any number of other repetitive items.

Of course, this is coming from the person who calls other people r****ded, so you're someone who actually deserves the Johnny Cash picture. However, since it obviously bothers you, I won't do it. I will do two things though: I will ask you to please put me on your ignore list, and I would also like to suggest, with all due respect, that you go **** yourself at your earliest convenience.

#40 dandorotik, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015