1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sheridan: the Spurs clear frontrunners to land Al Jefferson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DonatasFanboy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Jefferson is a good player, but to think that Utah is going to get a lot for him I seriously doubt it. He's good at scoring in the paint but really not much else, if you have a fan base that is just waiting to get rid of a player that sometimes will tell you the entire story.

Utah fans watch him every night and you are going to have to really look hard to find some that want Jefferson past this season.

He's a aging player that's again a borderline all-star player. He'd be great on the Spurs though if they aren't giving up their depth to get him.

2. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Jefferson plays the most minutes per game on the Jazz, but he's 4th in fta. Splitter plays less than Al, but goes to the line more often than Jefferson. Jefferson gets 9.5 rebounds per game, but only 2 offensive rebounds(3rd on team) per game. Asik gets 11.5 /3.3 rebounds/offensive per game in 3 fewer minutes per game.

I guess you can say Jefferson is playing out of position @ center, but for a 6'10" guy he only takes 31% of his shots @ the rim. Our "soft" pf Patterson takes 28% of his shots @ the rim. Even Chris Bosh takes 35% of his shots @ the rim.

The following is from a Jazz fan site. You can judge for youself if it's credible or not.

http://www.slcdunk.com/research-sta...ook-at-the-first-options-on-every-nba-team-in

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

SheridanHack :rolleyes:

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This (and the quoted text) makes Jefferson sound like a better, more consistent version of Patterson. I happen to agree with that assessment. When Patterson plays above his averages, the Rockets usually seem to be successful. Jefferson at PF would be great for this team. It really just comes down to price and I think some team will pay more than his value at PF for the Rockets in order for him to play center for them.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

And Stephen Jackson is?

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Stephen Jackson won an NBA championship with the Spurs.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Patterson plays defense and passes. Jefferson does neither. And given how little Morey likes the mid range jumper, I seriously doubt we'll be getting Jefferson at all.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

What's a Spurs type player? Pops isn't D'Antoni. Is Al Jefferson a Jazz type player? If not, why did they trade for him? They got him because for all his flaws, there's still a lot of good and the price was low enough.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

+ Jefferson is one of the true post up centers in the league today. Patterson isn't.

re Rockets, i don't see much sense either.

10. theDude

Supporting Member

Jefferson averages twice the assists, steals, blocks and defensive rebounds as Patterson in 8 more minutes. Jefferson in all likelihood won't come to Houston, but to suggest that he is not an upgrade to Patterson is disengenuous.

11. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Patterson earns 2m a year while Jefferson is probably looking for max money. He is grossly overrated offensively and is worse than Boozer on the defensive end. Yea so great. :rolleyes:
    The problem is his contract imo. Not worth big time money.

12. theDude

Supporting Member

My original post was based around the cost of keeping Jefferson. He is more valuable to some teams as a center than he would be to the Rockets at PF (where I think he would thrive). I would take him at the right price. Who is the magical player that you think would vault the Rockets into contention?

13. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Jefferson is a 20/10 type of guy who may not be a great defender or have great physical ability he does have a excellent post game. Why wouldn't the spurs jump all over deal if it is really there. Jazz would be dumb to give him up that easily when there has to be better offers out there. Spurs have to be win now mentality with the age of there big players so obviously losing guys who prob really aren't going to be big time players anyways will not matter. If they don't win or he don't pan out like they want don't sign him if they go far and win he will prob take a pay cut to try to win again.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Al Jefferson would be worth every penny of a 10-12 million dollar contract.

He rebounds and scores at will on the block. Maybe the softest jumphook I have ever seen.

Good player, but he is just too much money. If you had a ridiculous shotblocker PF with him, Like Larry Sanders or Josh Smith, he would be perfect. He needs that, because his defense is pretty mediocre.

15. basketballholic

Al would be best playing alongside a high post center who can defend the paint, like KG, where he could operate down low with space and not have to worry about being said rim protector.