1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sheridan: the Spurs clear frontrunners to land Al Jefferson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DonatasFanboy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Tiago Splitter is the starting C for the best team in the NBA? Patty Mills is a very useful PG, and Erazem Lorbek is a 'stash prospect'.

Favors and Kanter are both high draft picks playing limited minutes effectively, and in need of more playing time. The frontcourt is probably theirs in the future.
    Al Jefferson can walk at the end of the season, and will command more $ than he's worth for the Jazz.

I can't see how this is a bad deal for the Jazz.

BUT - I can't really see how it's a good deal for the Spurs. They downgrade defensively at C in order to bring in more frontcourt post scoring when they already have the best frontcourt post scorer in the NBA (Duncan). Interesting article to read though...

2. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Al Jefferson (17.1 ppg 9.5 rpg 2.2 apg 1.2 bpg) is an upgrade over Tiago Splitter (10.5 ppg 5.8 rpg 1.3 apg 0.8 bpg).

Anyone with half a brain should know that.

3. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

The Spurs get better. The Jazz get worse (unless Kanter can replicate Jefferson's productivity).

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i doubt it's so straightforward. They'd be replacing 30 or so minutes of Jefferson with extra ~5 minutes to Millsap, extra 10-15 minutes to Favors and extra 10-15 minutes to Kanter/Splitter.

It depends on what you think about Millsap and Favors, mostly. I think Jefferson isn't a great fit for that team. I think Favors is good enough to start for most teams in the league at either PF or C. And I think Millsap is overall a higher impact player than Jefferson.
    I think reducing Jefferson's minutes in favor of Millsap and Favors would be if not an upgrade, then at least lateral.

AND they really lack depth at PG. When Mo is out, their PG situation is miserable. I don't know if Mills is a long term answer there, but I do think he'd be valuable right now.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They used some high picks on Kanters and Favors. They better use them.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

For defense?

7. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Jefferson plays almost 10 minutes more per game than Splitter. I didn't say Splitter was better than Jefferson. I said the Spur's don't need Jefferson, because the rest of their team can score.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Splitter is better than Jefferson and fits the Spurs much better. No way Spurs do this. Jefferson and Splitter have identical PER's but that's because Jefferson uses way more possessions. Jefferson's TS% .512 vs Splitter's .644

9. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I'm sure the Spurs would try to dump Dejuan Blair on them, not Splitter.

10. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Spurs are tired of Jeffersons.

11. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Well, if the Spurs can acquire Jefferson for Splitter and spare parts, why not?

Isn't Jefferson a better rebounder/scorer/shot blocker than Splitter per minute?

12. smr6

smr6 Member

Did he say Enes Kanter is a former overall #1 pick?

13. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Yes Jeffersons per minute stats are better, but not by a lot. As I mentioned in my original post it's about salary and team need. Jefferson is making $15m this year and probably is looking for at least that much next year. Duncan took less per year @$10m so the Spurs would have cap room to resign teammates like Genobili and Splitter. It's about team chemistry.

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

SMH Tiago Splitter has turned into an absolute stud for the Spurs this season.

15. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Jazz screwed themselves over this season by not dealing at least one of Al Jeff or Millsap for picks and prospects.

16. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Jazz can do a lot better than that, Al Jefferson is just stuck in a bad situation. He used to own Yao, one of the few, and was a stud in Minnesota. He's still very good! I'm sure Jazz do not want any PFs in return either.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dwight said he's testing the market. Sure that means he may resign with the Lakers day one but he's made his intention clear that he'll be a UFA. So Big Al would be #2.

With that said, he's nothing to salivate over. A Borderline all-star caliber big man at 28 years of age. Utah will take what they can get for him in the end especially if it is picks and young prospects.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Is it me or is Al Jefferson underrated around here?

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

It's not you, people just easily forget how good he can be and what he's doing on a bad team.

20. basketballholic

LOL.

Al Jefferson and rim protection??

LOL

Splitter is their second rim protector. They want a third defensive big to pair with Duncan and Splitter.

Here's a trade that makes more sense for everyone involved:
    PPat to Spurs. Morris, Nando or Mills, and RIP to Utah. Chicago first rounder and Millsap to Houston.

Look at Utah's rotation. Everything revolves around Big Al. And they are trying to give Favors the 4 spot alongside Big Al. Big Al doesn't help SA. He can't defend a fence post and he takes major touches on offense on top of slowing down the ball movement.

Chris Sheridan is just guessing.