1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sheridan: the Spurs clear frontrunners to land Al Jefferson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DonatasFanboy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/02/06/sheridan-al-jefferson-to-spurs/

Pat Mills + Splitter + Stephen Jackson (expiring) + Erazem Lorbek (sweetener)

That sounds pretty good for both sides.

2. arjun

arjun Member

dfamn that would make the spurs very tough

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

[​IMG] + [​IMG] =[​IMG]

4. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I cant imagine the Spurs would want Jefferson. They still have Duncan, Parker and Ginobili for scoring and Splitter has done a decent job as a starter. Jefferson isn't exactly known for being a good defender even though he does average 9.5 boards and 1.2 blocks per game.

Duncan is signed for 2 more years @ $10M per and Jefferson is making $15M this year and I don't think he'll resign for less.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sheridan's pretty credible, no?

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I wonder if we could jump in on that and snag Splitter away? We could offer 2nd rd picks Smith and possibly Douglas to Utah.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Favors needs to be unleashed, not Kanter.

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Sheridan's a hack, I doubt there's anything to this. Al Jeff doesn't seem like a Spurs-type player at all.

9. Arthurprescott2

Splitter's doing a pretty good job as is. Not sure Pop wants to give him up. But Splitter's going to get paid very soon and I guess Spurs aren't willing to pay?

Agreed w/ jayhow ^^ we should try to grab Splitter.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Several problems with this article.

#1 If the Spurs need interior defense as Sheridan claims, Big Al does not fill that need.

#2 Lindsay did not leave the Spurs on the best terms.

#3 Favors would get the minutes that would be available, probably not Kantor.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't love the fit either but for basically Mills + Splitter I think it's a great deal for the Spurs. They basically give up a backup and expirings.

Duncan is brilliant this year but he gives you 35 minutes a night at most during the playoffs. And 30 minutes + no back to backs during the regular season. I think a deal like this helps them a lot.

I think they could re-sign him during the offseason... but they'll have a ton of cap space one way or the other.
    Manu probably won't ask for more money than Duncan. So they will be able to target most of the free agents. This gives them an opportunity to try Al Jefferson out but they don't get committed.

12. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I would love to snag Nando de Colo away from the Spurs. He is a Dragic waiting to happen.

13. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Are you on crack??? Why would we give up youth for age,non athletic, maybe slightly improved splitter??? Get out of here!!!

14. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Jefferson is worse than Boozer in terms of defense.... I doubt this is true.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This doesn't seem to make much sense for the Spurs...

16. rogower

rogower Member

San Antonio may not need to give up the inexpensive and efficient Tiago Splitter here. My guess is that the Spurs will wind up dealing Matt Bonner to Utah rather than Splitter. San Antonio would also throw in a PG, either Nando de Colo or Patty Mills, and the rights to Erazem Lorbek.

Al Jefferson and filler (Jamaal Tinsley, Kevin Murphy) for Stephen Jackson, Matt Bonner, either Nando de Colo or Patty Mills, and the rights to Erazem Lorbek would most likely be the trade, if it were to go down.

Also, keep in mind that if Jefferson gets traded then the likelihood of Utah keeping Paul Millsap with the expectation that they will re-sign him to an extension presumably goes way up, so this would impact Houston's plans this offseason, if they had planned to pursue Millsap as a free agent, that is.

Another thing to consider here is that this proposed Spurs-Jazz trade would put San Antonio into luxury tax territory this season, which they'd presumably like to avoid. The most obvious way to avoid the luxury tax (after executing this trade) would be to trade Splitter (a restricted free agent this summer) prior to the February trade deadline to a team with unused cap space--a team like the Rockets!--in exchange for a draft pick or, more likely, a much less expensive player, e.g., Greg Smith. Splitter is an upgrade over Smith, and my guess is that Daryl Morey would only make this trade if he is interested in signing Splitter to an extension this summer, presumably to a four-year deal starting at around $6 mil. Is Splitter worth a four year, $28 mil deal during his age 29-32 seasons? Not sure, tough call. Of course, Morey may also seek to make this trade simply because he understands that Splitter is a more valuable asset than Smith, and with the intent on signing-and-trading Splitter this summer for a first round pick or perhaps a more attractive asset that might become available (e.g., Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum).

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I fail to see what's in it for Utah. You'd think the impending #1 center on the free agent market could net you more than a couple of back-ups.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

I don't get it either, but then again nothing surprises me in the NBA.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Favors who I'm hoping Morey swoops in for. I think Utah and the fans love Milsap so it's a question of how much pain can Morey inflict with FA cash in 2014 before they cry uncle.

20. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

I don't understand it. Possibly losing Al Jefferson to free agency is one thing, but those four guys combined aren't worth Al Jefferson. Utah would get back next to nothing in the deal. 4 scrubs.