1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sheridan Hoops: Martin for All Star Reserve?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JustARide, Feb 2, 2012.

1. JustARide

JustARide Member

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/02/02/here-are-your-nba-all-star-reserves/
    Written by Chris Bernucca

He discusses the players that should make the all star reserves and players that shouldn't.

Relevant Bits.

Throughout the whole big push to get Kyle Lowry on the all star team, I never really stopped to look at K-Mart's chances. But even looking at this list of stats for Western guards Martin seems to be doing really well in comparison. Granted, this is based purely on stats, and I haven't seen how Monta Ellis, Tyreke Evans, or maybe even Marcus Thornton have affected their team.

But after Kevin's slow start, and him potentially being unhappy about the trade, I think it would be great to see him get selected into the all star game as a Rocket. It's not like there's a lot of defense played their anyways.

What do you guys think Martin's chances are at getting selected as a reserve this year?

1 person likes this.
  2. krouchchocolate

he's been putting up damn good numbers these past few games.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

He's actually passing playing defense and grabbing boards too. McHale changed him.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

While I do think Martin is a good player and scorer, and his defense has improved slightly, my problem with him is that he's so inconsistent. He can put up 18 points in a quarter, and finish out the game with 25 points .

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thats not really his fault. He doesnt have anyone else on the team to take the pressure off of him in the 3rd and 4th.

The opposing team usually keys in no him in the 2nd half of games after he goes nuts in the first half. Its been that way his entire career. If anything its should be considered consistent.

Getting your team off to a good first half start should be highly valued. Its a team game and he needs someone else to step up and take pressure off of him in the 4th.

For what Kevin Martin has been doing the past couple years he really does deserve to be an all-star.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I've also noticed the change in Martin's all around game. He should make it but sadly since he doesn't have any highlight reel dunks or play for a big market team he will be a snub, like Josh Smith was last year.

7. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

He averages 3.3 rpg, which is less than his career average. Not exactly pulling them down.

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Imagine how good kevin martin would be if we had a dwight howard commanding double teams. (salivate)

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You make a good point, especially considering he's never had a really good team to rely on.

10. JustARide

JustARide Member

I guess the big question would be who deserves it more than Martin?

I can see Harden potentially getting the nod, but the author has this to say
    Do you think the coaches are likely to take into account the impact/roles they have on their team? Or do you think they would just go for the potential better all around play of Harden?

11. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

FIXED! ;)

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Yeah, I realized this the other day when glancing at some stats for a post I made in the Lowry for All-star thread. K Low has more All-Star hype because frankly, he was a lock for All-Star through 3 weeks but has fallen off a cliff in the last 2. Martin has been a non-lock all season, but reasonably consistent after that first stinker.

13. Prince

Prince Member

He deserves it.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

But I thought he was a net-zero :rolleyes:

15. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I think we're in love with Lowry and patterson because they try sooo hard and are tough players, but overlook guys like Martin and Hill while they are having better seasons in reality.

16. 5KR4TCH

5KR4TCH Contributing Member

I think that may be due tothe presence of Sammy grabbing a grip of those boards. Then again I may be wrong.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

it'd be cool if he squeezed in, hes been scoring a lot lately

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

KMart is an all-star caliber player. Despite his slow start and the change in rules, he has found ways to get around it and average 21PPG and 29 PPG over the past 6 games. His free throws are down big time but he is still playing offensively at an elite level and has been doing this for a number of years. He deserves it!

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I tell you what. A core of Dwight/Dwill/Martin is a championship core. Surround them with role players and youngsters and that team would come out of the West.

DWill
    Martin
    Parsons
    Dwight
    DMO or PPat

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

That is called having a good game. If Kevin Martin can keep scoring 25 points every game, he should be an all-star. I don't care which quarter he scores them in, personally.