1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sheridan] Dwight Howard Unhappy in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ron from the G, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No team will give up much for Dwight. He's nothing special at all now. In fact hes completely average.

2. NickKent

NickKent Member

Sheridan will be on Matt Thomas show at 11:30 apparently

1 person likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. I don't believe it that Howard is trying to force his way out of town.
    2. Trading Howard for Winslow and Whiteside is plum too much compensation for us.
    3. I can understand Miami trading Whiteside before losing him for nothing, but don't see why they'd want Howard. He's got health liabilities and they'd have to convince him to take a big pay cut on his next contract.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Few things I've been wanting to express about this story:

1.) Obviously I know Chris, and he's a good reporter. He takes his website and his reporting very seriously. Like anyone in the "scoop" game, he has his share of misses, and many in the mainstream NBA media have a vested interest in playing up those misses since he went the independent route. But you don't work 25 years for the AP and ESPN by being reckless.

2.) People need to separate the news from his prediction. The "clickbait" sites that are repackaging this story are playing up the Miami angle and/or making it sound like a trade demand because speculation is what sells. But if you read Sheridan's actual story, it's pretty clear that the NEWS that he is reporting is that Dwight's unhappy. And that's what Chris led with. The rest is his analysis and personal prediction. Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Should the Rockets ever look to move Dwight this season, I think there are several items that must be checked:

A) Houston would ideally move him to an Eastern Conference team, rather than a West rival.

B) Houston would want to preserve the cap flexibility that Dwight's expiring number currently gives them -- that means a big part of the deal would also be expiring contracts coming to Houston. Miami has nearly $16M fitting that criteria just between Deng and Birdman.

C) The team acquiring Dwight probably needs a veteran core that will vouch for him (i.e. "Playoff Dwight") and the type of leadership that can keep him around after the season, assuming he opts out. Both Wade and Bosh have great relationships with Dwight and fit the bill. Many teams simply aren't going to have interest in a 12-year veteran with a long list of recent injuries and the ability to bolt after the season. It takes a very specific set of circumstances for Dwight to FIT as a trade option this season, and Miami is one of the few teams that checks all the boxes.

Add to that the fact that Miami is undoubtedly concerned about their ability to retain Whiteside long-term and will likely need to replace his production in the middle, and it makes a lot of sense. That said, if you disagree with that analysis, that's your prerogative. But just because you disagree with the prediction doesn't mean the separate item that he reported (Dwight being unhappy) is invalidated.

3.) Why is it earth-shattering news that Dwight is "unhappy," if that's the case? The team is wildly underachieving. Dwight personally is getting the fewest touches since his rookie season. The coach who played a huge role in bringing Dwight to Houston and personally working with him is now fired, largely due to reasons totally unrelated to Dwight. These are totally valid reasons for him to not be happy.

Furthermore, LOTS of players around the league are unhappy. Locker rooms aren't fun places when the team is bad and/or underachieving. This isn't a bombshell. It's no different than most of us at our jobs -- there isn't a single place I've worked where I haven't had a bad week from time to time. It happens. It's routine, and generally it isn't even worth reporting. In most cases, you work on things, the situation eventually improves and everyone moves on. The difference in this case is that Dwight's potentially a free agent after this season, and should these dynamics continue into February, the Rockets will obviously have to make a judgment call on whether it's worth it to risk Dwight potentially walking and leaving Houston for no compensation.

4.) Why is anyone taking Dwight's denial that seriously? Look, I love Dwight. He's been nothing but professional with me and everyone in the Houston media, that I know of. But he's a very sensitive guy about his public perception, even more so after how things went down in Orlando and LA. And if he goes public with this, the narrative is going to be "Dwightmare 3.0" and he's going to get absolutely buried in the press. It's not fair, but that's just the way it is. Even if he does ultimately want out -- and I don't think we're anywhere close to that point right now -- I'm very confident that EVERYTHING will be handled behind closed doors with an extremely tight circle.

(And if anyone wants a reference point of a statement like his last night being untrue, just look to Dwight himself four years ago and the Stan Van Gundy incident -- when he forcefully denied a rumor to the Orlando media mere minutes after SVG had confirmed it. That's not a shot against Dwight, at all -- it's just a reminder of how the "media game" is played, at least on camera.)

Anyway, that's it for my rant on this subject. I don't think this "Dwight's unhappy" train is very far down the tracks at all, and I think both parties (Dwight and the Rockets) genuinely hope to fix it over the next two months. If I had to bet, I think Dwight is still a Rocket at this time next year. That said, I also think it's a mistake to ignore or attempt to discredit Sheridan's report. The issues are real. Hopefully the Rockets and Dwight solve them.

#324 The Cat, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to Rick Kamla on 92.9 The Game, Dwight Howard to the Hawks is a done deal. He was told this by a credible NBA source. Thoughts???</p>&mdash; F.I.L.A. Hawks (@joegreen23atl) <a href="https://twitter.com/joegreen23atl/status/677162964718370817">December 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/NBATVRick">@NBATVRick</a> took it to the air (<a href="https://twitter.com/929TheGame">@929TheGame</a> )and he's A-1 reliable/professional <a href="https://t.co/lih9EIOPQD">https://t.co/lih9EIOPQD</a></p>&mdash; Mike Dyson (@thedelegate24) <a href="https://twitter.com/thedelegate24/status/677178600278335490">December 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty much said it's Howard for Horford, Mack, and Mike Scott but I have no idea where this guy got his source from.

1 person likes this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Wtf! Makes sense to send him home and Atlanta isn't all that this year.

Horford - 16.1 PPG / 7.2 Rebounds

Scott - 5.1 PPG / 32% Three Point Shooter

Mack - 3.7 PPG / 41% Three Point Shooter

Nahhh bro.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Horford would be great at the 4...

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That'd be awesome. Ain't happening, though.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Get me Horford and Korver and I am good

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I would die if that happened!

That would be a steal for Houston

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Al Horford (12 Million) -- Contract off the books this summer

Mike Scott (3.3) next year, TEAM OPTION

Shelvin Mack (2.4) next year, TEAM OPTION

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would think that in his role, and assuming that he wants Ernie Johnson's job or someone elses when they retire, or move on or whatever... i would think Kamla has alot to lose by putting himself front and center of a major star trade rumor.

Kamla does sit right next to former NBA players all day long, and knows all the guys at least on a professional level that contribute to reports on NBA TV (Dave Aldridge, beat reporters, etc.).

I'm sure its not uncommon for them to talk to him off camera about some things they are hearing but from what I know from listening to NBATV (Isiah Thomas last night said that CHRIS SHERIDAN "Is Usually Spot On"), those guys... while being ex NBA players, beat writers, etc. usually don't know anymore than anyone else.

The big guns... Woj, Stein, etc. usually know it first... until Woj or at least Stein releases info, I'll remain skeptical.... Again Kamla's likely best source (Thomas) said on air that CHRIS SHERIDAN is usually "Spot On"... so yeah.

But yeah... this deal wouldn't be bad at all if true. Not sure why Atlanta would do it though unless they thought they were losing Horford for sure which I certainly don't think they do. He'll get more buzz in the offseason than Howard IMO.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow that would be great!

DD

14. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I won't believe it until Woj tweets it but Dwight to Atlanta for Horford is a great deal to me.

We'd need someone else down low.

I don't think Capela is as ready as some think.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not in the "trade Dwight" camp, but getting back Horford+parts in the deal seems like a nice return.

I am skeptical this trade will happen though.

16. malakas

malakas Member

So that guy knows but Woj doesn't? And it's a sure thing? SMH.
    And a lot of time has passed since first "reported". Whatever.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Sheridan is as spot on as Isaiah Thomas was a good GM.

18. beardsanity713

Did anyone else watch Around The Horn discuss Dwight being unhappy..
    Everyone thought Dwight should be traded to Miami...
    They all spoke whats real

19. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Sheridan is creditable but like others, have been wrong on many occasions. I don't believe he should have ran the story, but hey it is what it is. Dwight has been nothing but professional since he's been here and doubt VERY seriously he would convey anything to anyone outside his private inner circle that's he's unhappy. Sheridan's source maybe stating the obvious, but that's not news.....ALL of the current Rocket players are unhappy. They were swept by the Got Damn Nuggets!! lol. No way Dwight said anything to anybody that Sheridan considers a source.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I doubt the ATL deal happens, but it is very reasonable.

Millsap has always been a good fit next to Dwight. He's just the type of facilitating/stretch PF that Dwight needs.

Horford also makes a lot of sense for Houston. Why? Well it has has much to do with his cap hold next summer as it does what he brings as a player.

Because Horford only makes $12 million, his cap hold will only be $18 million next summer. That's $5 million less than Dwight's player option, and ~$12 million less than his cap hold. That leaves significantly more room to go after Durant next summer.