1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shell Houston Open 2001

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mr_oily, Apr 14, 2001.

1. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Anyone here going to the Shell Houston Open in the Woodlands? I've ben going for about the past 6 years. I love it! Even though Tiger doesn't play this one, these are still the best players in the world! My favorite thing is to go the driving range, they have bleachers set up, and just watch them warm up and hit. Incredible!!!
    Well, for anyone interested here is the link to the players field. A pretty good group. The best part about it is I'll be able to keep track of my fantasy golf players right in front of my eyes! [​IMG]
    http://www.shellhoustonopen.com/news/field.htm

------------------
    Whatever you want to do, you have to do something else first.

[This message has been edited by mr_oily (edited April 14, 2001).]

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

word up!

This will be my first time to go.
    I'm really excited. I used not give a flip about golf, until I started playing.
    Fantasy Golf that is.

I know players names and scores now, it's funny, I even watch it on TV. The wife hates it, so I watch it even more.

Let's see Shell Houston Open checklist:
    1. Sunscreen
    2. A hat
    3. Some nice brownies or cookies
    4. Leave the cell phone at home
    5. Trek out to the Woodlands

ah... nothing like a day off of work. I'll be going on Thursday, so I'll see most of the players before they miss the cut, I'll watch the final rounds on TV... will it be on TV??

rH

------------------
    Homecourt will always be 'The Summit' to me!! Until we move downtown!!
    The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

"I want a hamburger, no a cheeseburger..."
    --Spaulding, Caddyshack http://www.carlspackler.com

3. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

yeah of course it will be nationally televised on CBS...this is my 3rd year in a row I'm going! I have a friend working for shell and he gets all the tickets for free, as many as he wants...he has access to the shell tent where you get free food and drinks...you know who I love following? John Daily...his drives are amazing and his short game is underrated...that guys is pure power...he looks so much fatter on tv!

------------------

4. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Well geeez, hook a brother up! I wanna chill in one of those exlclusive tents! MMMMMMM, free food and drinks...

------------------

5. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I'm definitely planning on going again this year. I've had a blast the past two years. It doesn't bother me that most of the "big name" players don't come. The atmosphere is great, and that's the main reason I go. The golf is awesome too.

BTW, two years ago Bullard and Van Chancelor sat next to our table in one of the tents. That was really cool!

------------------
    "...just because a clever person can complicate the discussion about the truth doesn't necessarily mean he or she is making any progress in finding it."

6. ChenZhen

Had to ask for the tickets a while back for it, if i knew I would have gotten a few for you...sorry...Probably can sneak out a few hotdogs in my pockets for you [​IMG]

------------------

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be great if we could clone hot dogs ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

You mean, chicken beaks and butts? [​IMG]HAHA!

------------------

9. ChenZhen

Tiger sucks...how come he never plays at shell...I guess cuz 500,000+ check to the winner isn't enough for him, he had to go overseas for more money...

Didn't tiger go to the woodlands for a few years in Highschool?

------------------

10. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Why would tiger wanna com to Houston? Yeah, he's too big for this cowtown. No, he didn't go to school here. He grew up in California. Tiger has only played once here a few years back at the Players Championship. Its not worth going to see him or even TRYING to see him play. The crowds following him are horendous, it looks like a stampede of cattle with all the dust rolling up. The closest I got was 300yards down the farway. I saw the little red dot hit, the ball rolled by and the stampede made its way towards me. OH! Duval is playing!and John Daly! Oh and of course the rest of the best golfers in the world! [​IMG]

------------------

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

I'll be there, mnost probably on Sunday. I have tickets to one of the catered tents too. This will be my first Houston Open but I went to the Tour Championship a couple of years back, which was awesome. Tiger was at that, but there are just ENORMOUS galleries following him.

I am going to have a look at my countrymen Allenby and Appleby (2000, and 1999 winners respectively), the Elk and Greg Chalmers. I'll also follow David Duval, my personal favorite player on the tour. He is my prediction to win, preventing an Aussie hattrick)

If you guys get a chance, go see Vijay Singh play. He is probably the best golfer in the world who doesnt wear red on Sundays.

------------------
    ..as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

[This message has been edited by davo (edited April 16, 2001).]