1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shelburne: Thinks Clint Capela is leaning fowards taking his qualifying offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jul 5, 2018.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

First posted by DaBeard in the "clint is sad" thread, thought "IDIOT."

zeeshan2 likes this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not good news at all. Seems like he wants to leave.

Who is this guy though?

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We barely heard this woman's name for years... but the SECOND they get LeBron I have to hear what she "thinks" every 45 minutes.

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Again - "A source".

I have "A source" that says the meeting went great and the Rockets and Clint are very close to a multi-year deal that will greatly help the Rockets keep cap flexibility for years to come, that's what my "source" said. Anyone else have "a source" whose opinion you would like to share?

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hmm, will take time to see what this means.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If I was Clint's agent I would want this out there to scare the Rockets and try and force them to bump up the offer. The fact of the matter is... there is time to work out a deal, and cooler heads should prevail.

If they don't and Clint thinks taking a qualified offer is the best thing for him, then that's a risk he's going to have to take, but not a smart one as we've seen with other young free agents.

The Rockets want him I'm 100% positive. They'll pay good money for him too, but Clint and his agent have to realize there is no market out there for him anymore. He has to have the leverage out there in the market to get a price tag. If he doesn't have that offer, the Rockets might be the best deal he can get even next year too when we have no idea how he's going to process, or potentially regress if he gets injuries.

This is RFA folks. Its just how the game works. I feel bad for the stress Clint is probably having with the back and forth but you know what.... he's still going to be making a boatload of money playing for a team he loves. Hopefully he doesn't let the stress, and the emotions get the best of him. I sincerely think though that this is just his agent using this as a point of leverage to get a better offer from the Rockets who will NOT blink.

7. CertifiedTroll

My cat threw up a hairball this morning.

hakeem94, malakas and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  8. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Y'all only believe talking heads when they give positive news about the Rockets. Shelburne is pretty legit. Considering the market for CC and how free agency has gone so far I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. Hopefully we can get this fixed and lock Clint up soon.

The Hunted likes this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

My cat is really fuzzy and tries to cuddle everyone. He’ll over heat people

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Breaking News. Deserves it's own thread.

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Clint tweets a sad face. Clint's camp leaks word that they're unhappy with what the Rockets offered. Isn't this what happens when the player wants more than the market is offering? If he were getting what he wanted, we'd be seeing stories about the offer(s) and our match or lack thereof. The Rockets wagered that the market wouldn't meet what Clint expected, and it seems, so far at least, that they were right. All of which is to say: This feels like just a downer spin on "Clint won't break our bank."

FLASH21, D-rock and topfive like this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

Not good. From a human aspect I can feel Capela's pain. He worked his azz off from a raw unpolished rookie, to the modern day NBA bigman. Clint gave it all for the organization & now he's being treated like a movable asset. I know it's a business but gotta suck when you put it all on the line for a team, only to made feel like you're just a number when it comes down contracts

13. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Taking the QO would almost guarantee Clint flees in 2019. Have to find a way to make this new math work.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

legit or not, would really explain the sad face tweet.

hakeem94 and Tfor3 like this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Does anyone even have decent cap space anymore that doesn't have a really good starting center yet?

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Houston Rockets

I hope so that way next year as UFA there's no saying it's only because I'm a RFA I didn't get the contract I want. Next year free agency should be a cash cow and tbh I'm not paying Capella a lick over 15 mill. If ur getting paid 20-25 mill a year I need someone that can create their own shoots. We all know about MR.Anderson

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

There is no market for Clint Capela or any center for that matter. Out of Nurkic, Deandre, Capela, Brook and Cousins, ONLY Deandre received any significant pursuing & an offer. This is due to A: Extremely limited cap space in the league this year & B: Devaluation of traditional big men

Because of this years limited cap situation, It should be obvious that taking the QO is definitely one of Capela's options IF the Rockets offer is so divergent from what he wants. As leaking this news is an obvious play by Capela's side to increase their bargaining power.

So the question is, what $ & years are the Rockets offering & what is Capela demanding? Is Capela demanding 20+ to the max? Are the Rockets offering 4years $44million?

Purely a guess, but IMO if the Rockets offer 4/70 the deal gets done.

Htownballer38 and FLASH21 like this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Surprised she didn’t mention how Clint wants to go to her beloved lakers. She has become the buss and Magic Johnson’s mouth piece and everyone of note wants to be a Laker according to her

#18 riko, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  19. ZootSuitMurphy

Don't get me wrong here, I like Clint as much as the next rocket fan, and the guy deserves to get paid for the work he's put in and showing up for the playoffs. I'm not ready to pay him max money this year when we are strapped as it is. He fits well in our system with his skill set but the guy unfortunately doesn't have an outside game, can't create his own shot on a consistant basis and is below average free throw shooter. Let him take the one year and hopefully come back better like he has every other year and then talk about max money.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman is in financial trouble.

JoeBarelyCares, Tfor3, Jontro and 2 others like this.