1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shawn Marion agrees to six-year, $80 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LiLStevie3, Aug 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Shawn Marion's a very nice player, but is he worth 13+ million a year? I don't think so. Granted, very mediocre players can make close to that kind of money these days, but if I were an owner, I wouldn't pay Marion the max. I'd give him 9-10 million a year maximum.

Marion agrees to six-year, $80 million extension

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You forget raises. They get 12.5% raises, which is less than what the NBA industry increases in value per year. Last I hear, the NBA increases 15% a year.

Your $9m a year maximum for 6yrs is $54m, right.

If you consider 12.5% raises, you would be giving Shawn Marion a starting salary of $6.85m, which is close to MoT pay.
    Marion is indeed starting at ~$9m, which is what you said you'd pay. You just forgot the yearly raises.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Too bad he's exactly the type of guy the Rockets could use... Though Rudy would rather have Glen Rice than him.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Shawn Marion might not be a go-to guy, but he's one of the most valuable players in the NBA. Yes, I did say that. I would say he means as much to his team as about 10-15 other top players. Having watched many Suns games the last 2 years, Marion's value to the team is somewhat worthy of the max. He does everything for them except handle the ball.

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

Marion may not be worth the max, but he's one of those players that if it takes the max to keep him - then you give it to him.

He may never be a frontline superstar, but he's one heck of a second option star and well worth the money he'll get.

Phoenix actually has a ray of hope for the future, too. With Marbury, Casey Jacobsen, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, and Amare Stoudemire, they are a well balanced team (if just a tad undersized for the West) with some depth in Penny, Tsakalidis, and Outlaw. Not a contender now, but a team to watch out for in 2-3 years.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

To put it short, Marion is what we always wanted Robert Horry to be when he was a Rocket. A guy who can defend, rebound, block shots, get garbage/cheap pts. Marion is a great role player. He prob will never be a go-to guy until he improves his ball handling, but if you put 1 or 2 primary scorers in front of him, you'll have a great team.

7. lelo

lelo Member

shawn marion is gonna be a special player.. i see it in the way he plays... it would be better for the suns to pay him around 13 mill.. cuz in a few years from now when hes a all star he is gonna want the max...

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Marion is a stats maniac that would go great in any fantasy league. But he isn't worth 12.5 million a year. Are they hoping on trading away Penny or something?

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

Well, it doesn't matter, because he's under contract to the Suns for the upcoming season under his rookie contract and six more after that - so maybe in the 2009 offseason, he'll see the max. In any case, this deal is very close to the max - if it isn't already.

Invisible Fan: if they could find a taker for that contract, no matter who they got back, I think they'd do it! Penny has that bad of a contract for a role player and really isn't a team player.

10. haven

haven Member

If Marion could handle the ball, and had a slightly better jump shot, he'd be spoken of right there with Tmac.

Without... I dunno about the max. Maybe it was necessary to keep him. But I'm glad it's not the Rockets who have to give him that kind of money.

11. Matador

Matador Member

I guess Jason Kidd was wrong. When idd first got traded to the Nets he was badmouthing the Suns organization. He said that Marion would be following him to NJ the first chance that Marion's contract was up. Kidd got fined for the comments for tampering.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What does this mean for Rashard and the Sonics?

Who worth more. . .Rashard or Marion?

Rocket River

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Marion by a landslide.

14. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Right now, Marion's worth much more. The only facet of Rashard's game that is clearly above Marion's is the outside shooting. Maybe in a couple years, it will be a worthy debate.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Marion does not need Gary Payton to set the table for him to eat.

Marion is at least 2 classes better then Rashard.

DD

16. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Didn't Marion have Kidd, the best "table setter" in the game, setting the table for him for 2 years? This year it's Marbury.

17. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

He had his best statistical year last year with Marbury running the show. He has one of the weirdest looking jump shots I've seen in a while. I don't know if he'll ever get it out past 17 feet.

18. heypartner

Do you think Lewis is worth a $6m starting salary for 6yrs?

19. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

The starting salary is fine, but once you consider the annual raises, it gets to be steep. Look at Shawn Kemp and Juwan Howard who are making insane amounts of money their last 3 or so years of their contracts.

I guess it'd be ok for Lewis and Marion since they're still young and have yet to enter their primes. By the 9-10 million a year in my first post, I meant the average annual earnings over the contract's entire length.

#19 LiLStevie3, Aug 2, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2002
  20. heypartner

I know, but that will have about $12-13m pay at the end, too. If you think Marion is much more valuable than Lewis, then you will have to start Lewis at "much" less than $6.5m starting, otherwise he'll get $9m just like you say Marion is worth.

I wouldn't worry about the raises. That can work as a wash to the increase in salary cap.

The salary cap theoretically can rise just as fast. It matches revenue, and revenue is on the rise as China/Euro start getting more players here and more TV contracts. If that happens, the cap inflation is matching the raises, and everything is a wash.