1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Haven't shaved since October. As a lawyer I get some odd looks in court. I am sure folks are not used to seeing a 6'6" lawyer in a Hugo Boss suit sporting an unkempt beard. I don't care.

1 person likes this.
  2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

1. wash head and face with shampoo or shower gel. using bar soap makes the razor streak/skip all over my head, which has lead to some nasty nicks in the past. can't emphasize this enough because head nicks bleed like a mofo.

2. edge gel (the cheap one with the orange cap)

3. gilette mach cartridge

4. some cheap arse skin lotion (jergens for me because it's less oily)

i do this everyday. face and head takes about five mins.

#22 OmegaSupreme, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How do y'all shave the pubic area? ALways had trouble to get a close shave there

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The head of cartridge razors typically have a hinge so the blades stay in contact with the face. Even disposables have a good surface area that tells you what angle to hold it at. It's a bit harder with a safety razor and you do need to learn what angle to hold the razor at so that it's in contact with the skin. Too high or too low and the actual blade won't make contact with the face. It's also easier to cut yourself until you learn proper technique. So there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad. You will cut yourself in the beginning though so make sure you have a styptic wand or something like that.

I learned most of what I know by watching this guy on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Really good source of information. I started with just the razor and modern, canned shaving gel/cream (because making lather is something else you have to learn) and only going with the grain like with a cartridge razor. When I got the hang of that then I incorporated going across and against the grain and started making my own lather.

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Preparation: What do you do in order to prepare the area(s) you plan to shave? Shower (warm-hot water).

Lubrication: What do you use? Shaving soap and brush, cream, gel, oils or something else? Shaving Soap

Razors: Store bought, safety razor, straight blade, clippers? Double Edged Safety Razor (use this one http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-...=1362793835&sr=8-4&keywords=double+edge+razor)

Aftercare: Aftershave, cold press, nothing? Nothing

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I used to sport that French artist type of facial hair. Chicks dig it, but for some reason my mustache grows faster than my beard so keeping it at a healthy length was a beesch.

8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I have a difficult time keeping the neckline of my goatee even. I shave one side too close, and end up over compensating on the other side. I probably should be a little more careful and take my time, but I am usually running late in the morning.

9. thisiscaketown

Norelco electric shaver works like a charm. Its different modes make shaving pretty easy, and I no longer have to deal with washing my shaving cream off to notice I missed 2 hairs.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, I just know how to use the search function and remembered you already had asked about shaving before. :p

11. jae713

jae713 Member

I use a razor for the my sack and anus to get a nice close shave and clippers for the upper pubic area. I tried using clippers on my sack before and nearly shred them apart. Never again.

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

GlenRice could sell you some gel if you need some :eek::grin:

13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I hear No-Shave increases your test levels, how do you feel brah?:)

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Someone on the BBS mentioned that nair works really well.

15. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I need to bump this thread. My 2+ year supply of Quattro Titanium blades is done with. I can't decide if I want to stock up on Proglide, Mach 3 Turbo, or Quattro Titanium blades. I don't care about the closest shave or 5 o'clock shadows, I just want something that gives me no irritation while shaving or throughout the day.

I definitely prefer the Mach 3 Turbo, but they don't last as long and are quite expensive.

I was also thinking about buying one of these razors.

http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Shavin...&qid=1380998878&sr=8-28&keywords=mach+3+razor

Any insight would be appreciated.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do you get a lot of irritation with all of those other options?

I just use the cheap disposables. No irritation. Not the closest shave, but I'm not too worried about that. In fact, i think closer shaves is what caused irritation for me and I have a thicker hair. I mix in some shave gel with shave soap and use a brush to put it on, works fine.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I use hydro 4 and Gillette shaving cream. I also like the Schlick titanium one.

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I seemed to have gotten the beard genetics from the Italian side of the family. Seriously...I grew a full beard at 14 over the summer.

After having to be on a TV camera every week, keeping my face perfectly smooth, I hardly ever shave now. I go to an old Russian barber, who without prompting, gives me a #1 on my head and a straight razor to the beard. I have a Mach 3 in the bathroom drawer in case I need it, but since I work from home now, I really don't.

If I could still grow a full head of long hair, I'd probably just let it go full Duck Dynasty, (go Nook!) but a shaved head with a full beard looks either Ultra-Orthodox Jew or Psycho Biker, neither of which are a winner here.

19. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Schick Xtreme 3 sensitive.

20. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

No i decided to go the mach 3 turbo route. I ended up with that razor and bought 48 blades.

Looks like I'm set for a while.