1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Jan 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Need help on shaving guys. I have really sensitive skin and when i shave upwards(against the grain) for a closer shave, it's always gets itchy afterwards and red. I use Gillette Fusion blade with the Fusion Hydro foam. Tips?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shave in or right after a shower. That's how y'all wimps are supposed to do it.

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

But I DO shave after a shower lol.

4. droxford

droxford Member

5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

That's called razor burn. My roommate (he's is going into dermatology) instructed that it's bad shaving against the grain and that's a major factor in razor burn. So I'd advise you to just stop that entirely. However, if you insist:

Use hot water and splash this on your face to open the pores even more than a shower. And make sure your blade isn't blunt.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm kind of in the same boat. I gave up trying to find a solution...tried tons of different razors, tricks, etc. I only shave twice a week now, and just sport the scruff look half the week...don't really care about weekends.

I need about a three day recovery time in between shaves. If I shave more frequently than that, then there will be blood. Not sure if it's my skin as much as it is my ridiculously full and prickly facial hair. It's like shaving sandpaper.

When I do shave I prefer using shaving oil to shaving cream. I can thank this board for the recommendation:
    [​IMG]

8. Landlord Landry

quit shaving your balls.

9. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I used to have a similar problem. Shaving opens the pores, so I started to wash my face afterwards instead of just rinsing off the shaving cream. That worked for a long time before I started to break out again. I eventually made it a habit to use after shave lotion. I haven't had a problem since.

10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Yeah, I was reading the other thread and most recommended it. So, I guess I will give it a shot

11. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Shaving the lawn makes the ornaments look bigger.

Just ask Greg Oden

Back on topic, I use aftershave lotions to ease the itchiness

12. Chopped

Chopped Member

be a man, shave without the shaving cream..

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7sn1RUjbL1g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7sn1RUjbL1g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If you shave against the grain, the razor pulls the hair a little bit before cutting it. This actually cuts the hair below skin level. That's what makes it feel like a closer shave but is also why it itches. The end of the hair is below the skin surface and is pushing into the skin making it feel itchy.

So you can either just deal with the itchiness or shave with the grain like you're supposed to.

15. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Time to hi-jack the thread for a minute b/c I don't want to open clog the Hangout with another thread about shaving.

I had a beard trimmer and I was trying to take the precision trimmer off and it hit the skin and broke. So now I am in need of a new trimmer. I am really drawn to the Norelco AccuVac Beard Trimmers (either the 780 or 980), but I am not sure if I want to drop $40+ for a beard trimmer.

Have anyone of you guys used these? Or are there any other suggestions? I would like some that I can use to line me up also but I am not sure if the AccuVac combs can be removed.

Or any other trimmer suggestions?

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1 person likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Um, ... what? ... I hope you are an old-school barber. Otherwise, you have some more explaining to do.

18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

We've already learned that you shouldn't Nair them. Right Troy McClure?

What happened to him anyway?

19. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I use the Norelco 980. You can take the comb off, but it's not that convenient. I set it on 6 on my beard, 4 on my mustache, and the only problem that I have is that it leaves me long right at the corner of my jaw, and I have to clean up with scissors. I shave my neck with a razor, so I don't really use it without the comb.