1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shaving] Facial Hair Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nick_713, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I did not see a thread similar to this earlier; I want to know if anyone has any facial hair shaving tips, ideas, or product recommendations/suggestions.

Here's the story for me: I have very curly facial hair and I wanted to see if it's possible to have a "clean shaven" face with very few bumps or ingrown hairs. The last time I used a manual razor was about 3 years ago (as a requirement for a previous job). I used Gillette Fusion, and it felt smooth for maybe 2 days. But after that, bumps were all over my face and irritation felt nonstop. In short, my face was totally ****ed for a month. Having to use tweezers to expose all those ingrown hairs was a nightmare for me.

I am wondering if any shaving product technologies have improved or progressed over the last 3 years. I have heard about the Bevel system that is "marketed" for those who have curly facial hair, but it looks like an ordinary safety razor. Nobody in my inner circle have used the product, so I don't have any inside info from the fam if it's legit or just another gimmick. I don't know if those "disposable" razors are any good, or if a standard safety razor would do the trick.

ClutchFans, do you have any ideas on how I should go about this? I know that razors with 4 or more blades don't work for me specifically, due to a history of bad results. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I would just go with a high quality pair of clippers without a guard, i'm like you, super sensitive skin that gets really irritated whenever I use razors, a dermatologist told me to skip shaving because it's to much damage to the skin as well. I personally prefer the light gray stubble to baby face.

But if you have to have a baby face, I personally just use olive or coconut oil, I'm very selective to what I put on my facial skin so I only do food grade natural options, if oil is too thin for your liking try cocoa butter which is more thick and waxy, don't go against the grain or shave to aggressively, go softly around hard edges like your chin, jaw line and adams apple would be my advice.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

You might want to invest in an electric shaver if razors really give you that much trouble. They are also a bit more convenient to use at times. I use a Braun foil shaver that cost me about $60 or so and it's pretty good. It doesn't eliminate hair as completely as a Gillette Fusion would so you would be less prone to the ingrown hair problem.

For me I don't have issues with ingrown hairs when I use my Fusion, but it does get uncomfortable/itchy after 2 days if I don't shave again.

One more thing -- if you're going back to a clean shaven look after keeping facial hair for a while, there's likely going to be a bit of an adjustment period where you deal with irritation for a week or so.

4. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

Instead of shaving cream, use hair conditioner. An old girlfriend of mine used to use this trick to shave her legs & her jay-jay. I started using it on my face & head (i keep a fresh baldy). Its a lot easier on the skin...way fewer issues with irritation, bumps & ingrown hairs. I also find that using a women's razor helps out alot too...one of the ones with the larger heads with the lube strips all around the blades. Hope this helps out...good luck bro.

5. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

There is also a product called Magic Shave. You apply it, wait for a while...& the hair kind of dissolves (for lack of a better word). I've never tried it, but its supposed to work really well for curlier types of facial hair, from what I've heard.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Sounds like a safe product.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Use a single blade safety razor. The lift and cut action of multi blade is not good for your skin.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'd use Nair followed by some hair gel

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Grow a short beard if your work allows it. Shaving is such a hassle. Thank god my work is quite flexible as long as i keep it neat. Besides I'd look 16 without hair on my face. I look 20 with it.

I'm also 13 years old.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The Art of Shaving Kit.

It's all I use. No irritation ever but I've never really had a problem. I have super awesome skin, never even got zits when young.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not a big fan or Art of Shaving (over priced for what you get) but I did switch from electric to wet shaving (traditional DE and SE razors, shaving soaps and cremes, etc). Once you learn the process you get close and comfortable shaves and a relatively cheap price.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is a common problem for black men due to the common texture of our hair. Kinky, curly, wavy, etc...

You may be totally unaware of the "Ethnic Hair" section at stores like Walmart, Target, etc. But there you'll find plenty of tried and true solutions. Personally I've used these two products and have had the best results:

Bump Patrol Cool Shave Gel
    Bump Patrol Maximum Strength Aftershave

I'm rocking a bread currently, but for the past several years I've use this stuff with a Gillette Fusion razor to shave my head daily and in the past I've used it to shave my face once every other day or so as well. This stuff just works for me. It never leaves my skin dry or irritated. I struggled with razor bumps for years until I started using these types of products.

Additionally, I use Acure Sensitive Facial Cleaner and Moisturizer. My skin has never been softer or more clear.

Good luck.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No need to spend big bucks or buy snake oil. It's all about what works for your face.

I have a big problem with ingrown hairs if I shave incorrectly, too. If I use those fancy high-dollar razors I get bad ingrown hairs, so I use Schick twin blade for sensitive skin disposables and Gillette shaving cream for sensitive skin. I also don't wait longer than 3 days between shaves. If it goes longer, I go over my beard with beard clippers before I shave to get the hairs nice and short.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These techniques serve me well- the only time I get an ingrown hair on my face now is if the razor has gotten dull. I can generally feel it dulling and will pitch it at a certain point.

I also cut my own hair, and it pays to buy a nice pair of clippers- I use an Oster Classic 76 clipper. If I don't keep them clean I will get ingrown hairs on my head, usually the back. But if they're clean, no problem.

[​IMG]

14. LonghornFan

It works for my face. That cheap ass stuff at CVS or Walgreens does sometimes give me slight irritation. Never once had it with the oils. Different strokes for different folks.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In all the other shaving threads, I reccomend this:

[​IMG]

But I've switched to an electric razor for the convenience. The Philips Norelco Shaver 2100. $35 at Amazon.

[​IMG]

Takes me 5 minutes to shave every morning instead of 20 minutes with a blade.

16. LonghornFan

How close do those electric razors get to the skin nowadays? I haven't tried one in over a decade but would be interested for a quick shave.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have the same problem, especially on my neck where the fine curly beard hairs are constantly getting ingrown.

One thing that has helped is to use a washcloth and scrub your face and neck thoroughly while showering. This loosens the hairs that have started to grow inward and removes dead skin which can also trap hair follicles. I do this every day except the day immediately after shaving.

I use a rotary electric but only shave every 3-4 days. I tried using a foil electric and it was a disaster when used dry and only marginally better wet. I tried a safety razor once and it missed too many hairs (my hairs grow down and curved upward so a single direction stroke simply rolls over them).

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have the same issue. My fix: don't shave against the grain. Sure I don't get the closest shave but I avoid ingrown hairs.

Also before you shave, apply warm water to your face. Do it for a min or so. It softens the hairs.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

good lord almighty, man. How large is your face? :grin: I am picturing something the size of a snow shovel.

Seriously, 20 minutes?

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

If you have extremely sensitive skin like you're describing (I do as well) don't listen to any advice in this thread that is hinged upon any type of blade.

Just buy a very high quality electric trimmer that has the lowest possible setting you can find and use that.