1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Shaq Talking trash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wattsupdogg, Jun 28, 2002.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

This is so true. Remember what happened to Payne Stewart when he started joking around in front of the camera at a tournament talking with a Asian accent. Something along the lines of "Me so sorry, no fried rice," or whatever. He was killed by the media and did a public appology.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The difference is Payne Stewart was a well respected player. If he says something like that he should be reprimanded. Imagine Tiger Woods saying something like that. He would probably get more heat then Payne. Thats because Tiger is also well respected and held in a higher esteem then other players.

Michael Irwin on the other hand is a jackass. He is more comparable to Mike Tyson or someone along those lines. No one gives a crap what Irwin has to say because he has got no credibility or respect.

3. SHANK

SHANK Contributing Member

I really don't understand why people have to insult the way we asians talk. I'm Japanese so my language does not sound like Chinese, but do Asian languages sound that bad where it's joked about so horribly in the way Irvin and Shaq did? I really get annoyed with obvious ignorance like that in people whom we are supposed to respect.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Shaq has no reason to threaten Ming but he is not just a powerful dunker.He has good low post moves,and can rebound as well.Size alone doesn't mean anything in professional sports.

5. rocketear

rocketear Contributing Member

Hi y'all !
    Remember Shaq ,Ming is no Ostertag...if you try to slap him the way you did with Ostertag,Ming would put some real shaolin Kung fu on your lip...i am sure they taught him the art of self-defense over there...you are dealing with orientals,remember that!...an eye for an eye...they don't take crap from anyone,esp. from you shaq!!!!
    Play hard and play fair!

6. moomoo

moomoo Member

deleted

#26 moomoo, Jun 29, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2002
  7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I'm glad it went down the way it did. The media took Ming's statement out of context and then blew it out of proportion to deliberately cause controversy. And if Shaq would have responded the media manipulated misquote in justified manner with something like...

" Who does this Rookie think he is. He is not even in my league. Can he at least make a basket before he talks his trash. I will destroy this Rookie on the court."

Are some response like that it would have made Yao look bad because Shaq's statement would have had some merit.
    But the minute they start mocking the chinese language it just shows Shaq and Irvin's ignorance and makes them look bad. So in a way they have changed the focus. I hope Shaq and Irvin continues to talk ignorant.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

So, for a summary, both shaq and irvin are ignorant biggots? wow. Cool, to be a minority and a biggot in america.

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I think Shaq and Irvin wouldve responded differently if someone made jokes using stereotypes the way Fuzzy Zoeller did with Tiger Woods.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If you dont think that's possible, youre as ignorant as they are.

Of course it's possible. They are not mutually exclusive.

11. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

If a white guy said half the things Charles Barkely say, he'd be hung.

12. moomoo

moomoo Member

Hang him.

13. ESource

ESource Member

Uh, let's NOT get too carried away! Shaq will beat all comers! He's still in his prime for goodness sake! Ming's goal should be to be the best center BEHIND Shaq.....even then, we STILL could beat LA for the crown.....IMHO

14. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

When was the last time Shaq said something smart anyway?
    When was the last time Irvin said anything that matters anyway?
    Dog barks.. Bird sings... Shaq mumbles....

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Shank:
    Nisei desuka?

Soretomo Nihon kara kiteirun desuka?

Nihonjin de Rockets o oen suru hito wa ima made mita koto ga nai kara chotto bikkuri sh1teimasu.

Anyway, welcome to Clutchcity.net.

Edited: The profanity filter is hilarious! it made "sh1teimasu", which means "to do" into "****eimasu". I'm glad everybody is protected from my foul Japanese words :p.

16. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

It was all uncalled for and it just shows how childish and unprofessional some players are and some think they are bigger than life and other peoples feelings doesn't matter.

Shaq is just going to try and break him down mentally before Ming can even get over here to compete.

I wish Ming would just take him out away from the rim and wear out his shaqfu a$$, then if Shaq tries and post him up, the Rockets will come as a team effort to support Ming, let Kobe beat us but don't let Shaq go off.

I think Ming will surprise us and some others when he gets on the court, just my feelings. If Eddie can have as good a rookie year as he did with only one year of college, you don't think Ming with his professional background will not be productive his first year in the NBA especially against the caliber of centers in the NBA these days. He will produce and SOON, maybe even on Shaqfu!!

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

What bothers me is not that Irvin and Shaq were racially insensitive. What bothers me is that Fox Sports Net aired it. I'm not surprised that they did, but networks are responsible for what they air, and that's simply not acceptable. It's one thing for some stand-up comic to make satirical remarks on TV that border on offensive. It's another thing for these guys to be joking around like that and for that to pass over as acceptable. Shaq can talk trash about Yao, if he wants, but this is crossing a line. The guy plays for L.A.; he should be more considerate of his fan base.

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

First off, I just saw the thing. Irvin was acting like he was reading in Chinese and the audience at the studio started laughing and shaq was half-laughing at that . The only thing Shaq did was pretend to be that dumb Shaq fu character that he made up a long time ago and , I think , even has a video game on. So if you want to consider someone racially insensitive, call Irvin that because he was the one pretending to speak Chinese .

19. Miggidy Markell

Personally, if Shaq was SO "talented" and could actually perform better then Ming no questions asked, why all the hating? He is intimidated by a player that hasn't even stepped on the floor for an NBA team yet! Not only that, but the fact Shaq is threatening anyone makes me laugh. He really has an accurate jump shot compared to his punch. The guy calls himself "Shaq Fu" and can't even punch Brad Miller at point blank range while Brad wasn't looking! The guy needs a reality check, and he needs to grow up! Get a life Shaq, LOSER!

20. Major

Major Member

Personally, if Shaq was SO "talented" and could actually perform better then Ming no questions asked, why all the hating? He is intimidated by a player that hasn't even stepped on the floor for an NBA team yet!

I've read a lot of ridiculous things on this board, but COME ON! This is just nuts. Shaq was ASKED about him... what do you expect him to do? Say "no comment"? He's having fun with it. Do you actually think Shaq is scared of a player who's never played in the NBA before?