1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq says Howard coming to a "little town like Houston" a "safe move"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hilltopper, Jul 6, 2013.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I *knew* someone would bring George Bernard Shaw into this. :rolleyes:

It's as predictable as a Hitler reference in a political thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. duckman

duckman Member

The football/baseball teams of Houston have never won their respective championships...

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, that's the only thing that bothered me. Plus, he is ultimately a Texan born and raised, so we should expect better.

The right answer when someone asked him about Dwight: "oh, I've been there. It's a tough place to leave, but sometimes you have to move on." Something like that.

4. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Ahhh that felt good hearing that from Bomani. Swept in 95...good stuff

5. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Of course, I knew Shaq loves the city of Houston all his life even though he criticized Houston a little town.

6. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Didn't Shaq also say we were an old team last year when we played OKC in the playoffs?

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

That was Charles Barkley.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Shaquille is an idiot

9. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

To you Bomani, well done sir

[​IMG]

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw a documentary/NBA special that addressed this. Basically, Shaq feels threatened by Howard who, in modeling himself after Shaq, Shaq feels stole Shaq's nickname and signature style. Shaq wants public adoration, which is tough for big men to attain. But in Howard, he sees a guy who is possibly more acceptable to the public (in looks, smile, style, a more gregarious personality etc.) while ripping off the "Superman" brand. And since the successful Nike/Jordan collaboration, players (at least smart ones) are more aware of their brand.

Here is what Shaq wrote in his autobiography:

“Dwight Howard is by himself. If he doesn’t get four rings, I’ll be disappointed in him. There’s no one for him to go up against. When I was playing I had [Patrick] Ewing in his prime. I had Rik Smits, Arvydas Sabonis, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutumbo. I had Vlade Divac, Kevin Duckworth. I caught some of David Robinson. [Greg] Ostertag. Guys with size. Now, I couldn’t name five centers.

“Dwight Howard and I don’t really have a relationship. I don’t like people who lack originality. The whole Superman thing doesn’t work for me. … It’s kind of weird how he’s handled his career. He wants to be Superman. They’re talking about him going to L.A. when his contract is up. When I go back to the Orlando area in the offseason, they are doing all the same things for him they did for me. But that’s a mistake. He’s Dwight Howard. He’s not Shaq. Be your own man. Create your own brand.

“I do feel for him sometimes. It’s all on his shoulders, just like it was all on mine, and when he doesn’t get it done he’s the one standing there trying to explain, even though he put up huge numbers. Nothing changes in the NBA. It’s not always fun being Dwight Howard, but if you call yourself The Man, well, you gotta deal with it.”

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/11/shaq-calls-out-dwight-howard-in-new-book.html

Shaq lets the hate cloud his vision. Shaq is right to get on Howard about not really dominating the game as a true center, but Shaq is clearly threatened by the young man.

Shaq will go nuts if Howard wins a ring AND follows that up with a couple of movie roles.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think anyone should bother defending Houston or refuting all the butthurt Laker fans. Ir's pretty obvious they are merely suffering some serious jilted lover syndrome and no disinterested party will take anything they say seriously anyway. It make Shaq and PJax and all the others look bad, not Houston. Houston is what it is -- a big-time player in the world economy and in the NBA, that does it all with fewer residents than LA.

12. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

13. CRJames14

CRJames14 Member

Future Red Rowdy right there.

14. conquistador#11

shaq aint about dis life, carnal.

15. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

"Don't you EVER DISRESPECT..."

I literally lol'd

16. TheBeard