1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq: only two or three legitimate centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Mar 12, 2003.

1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Looks like Yao got some worthy competition besides Shaq.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick121.html

Shaq likes what he sees in Curry

March 12, 2003
    BY RICK TELANDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST Advertisement
    "The Way I See It, he's a nice, young, aggressive kid,'' Shaquille O'Neal said not long before tipoff Tuesday. "I wish him well.''

Shaq was talking about second-year Bulls center Eddy Curry.

About half the things Shaq says are said with his tongue embedded in his cheek. The other things he says are merely suspect.

In fact, Shaq said there are only "about two or three legitimate centers,'' men worthy of carrying the position name, in the entire league. They are Shaq himself, Yao Ming and ... "Eddy.''

The Los Angeles Lakers star wasn't outright grinning when he said it. But he was sitting in the visitors' locker room at the United Center, his toenails painted cherry red, a relaxed and mischievous look on his face.

Soon enough, the game between the Bulls and Lakers began, and the thought briefly struck one: What if Shaq was serious--and right--about Curry?

The young man from Thornwood High School--he would be a sophomore in college now--started the game guarding Shaq.

And he looked good doing it.

A six-foot jump hook, a layup, a dunk after beating Shaq down the floor, then a rebound dunk. Curry had eight points in less than eight minutes.

He also had two rebounds. In the same time, Shaq had no points on 0-for-3 shooting and only one rebound. Most important, the Bulls led 24-19.

"He's only 20 years old,'' Shaq said of Curry, who at times in his early career has looked like a Thomas Hamilton starter unit. "He has plenty of time to claim the 'best center' title. Whatever title he wants.''

Oh, it's probably just a lighthearted bouquet from a guy who has learned the public-relations value of saying nice things about stumbling, grasping, lesser foes. But the vapor of what-if was thick Tuesday.

A 116-99 victory against the de-fending champion Lakers? Curry finishing with 20 points and six rebounds to Shaq's 13 points and 10 rebounds?

The problem for Curry, of course, is learning all the things he would have been taught at a Division I school, especially defensive skills. He picked up two fouls fast, and there is always the fear that without him in the game, the skinny Bulls simply can be bullied into submission.

Consider that when Curry went out of the game with those fouls in the first quarter, the Bulls' on-court fivesome averaged 224 pounds, while that of the Lakers averaged 249 pounds. Sure, a good bit of that Lakers total was Shaq meat, but the Bulls are scarecrows without the 285-pound Curry or the injured, 260-pound Marcus Fizer.

Curry came back in and scored five more points before halftime, giving him 13 at the break. Again, the biggest and best news was that the Bulls were ahead 60-53 and that Shaq had not taken over.

Curry simply embodies the possibilities--and frustrations--of this Bulls team that was assembled in such a piecemeal fashion that no one knows whether the nucleus for greatness or despair lies within.

There were times when the quintet of Jalen Rose, Tyson Chandler, Donyell Marshall, Jamal Crawford and Curry looked like the kind of NBA squad you wouldn't be embarrassed to put on the floor night after night.

There were times when Jay Williams looked full of juice, just as you would expect from the NCAA player of the year last season.

There were times when it looked as though these Bulls were actually in the process of developing into a unit and not simply a ragtag, maladjusted group of losers.

And yet there is the fact that getting fired up for one home game against a marquee team such as the Lakers means little. That the Bulls are 3-30 on the road means much.

Then, too, so does the notion that there is a human out there like Shaq, who, even when he is having an average to ho-hum game, scares you to death.

Where are all the great centers who might challenge you, Shaq?

"I killed them,'' he replied.

OK. It seemed possible.

Shaq had his little grin as he said this. Just as he did when he was asked about the Phil Jackson-taught triangle offense.

You Lakers still playing the triangle all the time?

"Sixty-two percent of the time,'' Shaq said.

And the rest of the time?

"Kobe gets the ball 30 percent, I get it 8,'' he said.

Would it really be such a big stride to see Eddy Curry turn into a true center? Or the Bulls step into good things?

It was reasonable to ask if this was the Bulls' most significant victory of the season.

"I'd say so,'' coach Bill Cartwright said. "I'd say it really was.''

It was suggested that maybe Curry's performance was lucky.

"No, no, no,'' Cartwright said. "That's the point. Eddy does have all the talent, and he works hard. He's had other good games, you know.''

Told that Shaq allegedly thinks highly of him, Curry smiled. He knows the big guy jokes a bit.

"If we can do this against a team like the Lakers,'' young Curry summed up, "we should be able to do it against anybody.''

Him, most of all.

Contact Rick Telander at his Web site, ricktelander.com.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Lancet, shaq was kidding.

8 points 4 rebounds in his 2nd season is hardly a 'possibly next best center'.

I've seen curry play a few times, he can be downright lazy.
    Just look how overweight he is and he still only 19-20! Imagine him at 25 or 30! :eek:

3. insider

insider Member

shaq also said yao is the best center in texas before yao played shawn bradley. :D

4. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Shaq may be kidding, but Eddy Curry sure looked good last night. 8-13 FG, 20 points, 3 offensive rebounds. He defended Shaq well and took it to Shaq in the paint on offense.

5. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Shaq paints his toenails cherry red :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I think I'm gonna throw up.

6. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I saw most of the game and I was stunned. To see Curry actually pin Shaq in the paint, ala Shaq, was something else. There is still a difference is size but Curry was calling for the ball big time. Those boys are right on time.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Shaq is on crack if he thinks Eddy Curry is a star player. Just because of one game he steps up. What happened to all the other games they got their ass kicked in?!? Shaq needs to quit talking and step up if his Lakers are going to get their ass kicked by the Baby Bulls...

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Watch Curry's next game against the grizzles...Lorenzen Wright will probably go off on him for 20/10 while Curry will get 5/4 on 20% shooting. A lot of players look good one night then suck the next 3 or 4...he's the poster child for that type of player.

The lakers were really unmotivated against the bulls, Hell the bulls suck and beat people because the opposition over looks them...just like we did the first time we faced them this year. Hopefully we've learned our lesson come friday.

9. rocketear

rocketear Contributing Member

Well,we'll see how ym gonna fare against eddy this Friday at the Compact center:)

10. Sane

Sane Member

It doesn't matter what he's averaging. Over the 10-15 games, Curry and Chandler have been showing something really special.

Here are some problems:

Chandler's a bit slow learning how to box out, not pick up fouls, use his feet to defend. But he does have an uncanny knack for rebounding and putbacks.

Curry's only 2 problems are rebounding and weight. But he did great with his weight over the summer, and one more summer of that knid fo work can make him the same in terms of lbs, but more muscle than fat.

I think the Bulls will make a surprise rise to 5 or 6th in the East, since the East won't be able to stop these 2 next year. The Bulls would be smart to unload J-Williams and Donyell Marshall for a big-time star at SF. Think Reef or a healthy Grant Hill (who knows) or maybe Rashard Lewis?

Curry
    Chandler
    Return from J-Will and Marshall or Crawford and Marshall
    Rose
    Crawford or J-Will

Right now, it's looking like Crawford is the better choice, since he's definitely more comfortable in the triangle offense. Chandler, Curry and Crawford are growing up, and are getting the triangle, which incidentally doesn't require a true PG (Crawford isn't).

It may be the classic Hakeem/Shaq battle between Curry and Yao.

11. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Curry is only a youngster who shows potential. Shaq just means that once Curry has been in the league for four or five years he will have a chance to dominate. The guy has only been out of highschool for a year and a half. Kobe, Mcgrady, didn't dominate in their first season. Give him time and he will become a dominate big man.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

They may be doing OK (for now), but they haven't been special. Sorry.

Special is, well something special. They are not especially special, at least not now.

13. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Curry played inspired last night against Shaq. He also played very good defense (although he was helped alot by Chandler who came over to double-team Shaq). Curry has the dreaded 'p'word, and alot of johnny-come-latelys expect him to dominate immediately.

Hindsight is 20/20, and it humors me to see some members of this BBS say that Curry will never be a legitimate center, like Griffin, we have to give him time.

14. montelwilliams

Curry and Chandler are the real deal. The baby Bulls are gonna be a big threat in future seasons.

15. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Curry and C handler will dominate the east for the next decade, in a year or two. Chandler I am positive will be an All Star next year, and Curry won't be far behind. They are still baby's, look what happened to KG when he grew up.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We should be offended by the backhanded slap at former Rocket two sandwiches. :)

17. roydelton

roydelton Member

The Bulls lead the NBA with an average of 44.0 points in the paint.
    Who playes there, oh just two young centers without bright future in their second season, at age of 20.

They are 3-1 against the lakers in last two years, AND they're 4-1 so far in the last three years vs. Houston.

Everybody these days wants to somehow steal some of the youngsters in these silly BBS wish-it-happen trades.

You know what is pretty funny, I actualy liked Eddie Griffin over Chandler at the time of the 2001 draft. Man that was a BIG mistake. Eddy Curry was player I liked the most but I didn't think he would last to #4. Now we have two of them. Elton Brand now lives just in my username.

18. Severe Rockets Fan

You're too easily impressed.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Well, Yao hasn't had as good a game against Shaq, so everyone should be impressed. A fully fit Shaq I must add.

20. playahata

playahata Member

I've seen games where Mark Jackson and Erick Dampier were calling for the ball against Shaq. Big freaking deal. Eddy Curry is baby Shaq, he will probably be fat like him too in 5 years.