1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Shaq: Feud with Kobe was 'designed by Phil'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cjstukenholtz, Nov 15, 2008.

?

Do you really believe what Shaq is saying here?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Here's a link to the article in the LA Daily News (also shown below) concerning that feud most everyone was seeing going on between Shaq and Kobe when they were together with the Lakers, which was "designed by Phil Jackson" according to Shaq.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_10990499

Also, here is a link to a thread on Lakersground.net concerning that so called 'feud' between Shaq and Kobe from Shaq's point of view.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=75514

The feud sure looked real to me IMO. I do think there were times Shaq blamed some of the losses on Kobe for shooting too much because he didn't get the ball enough down low for the easy baskets.

He claims that himself and Kobe will always be the best Lakers' guard-center punch. Hey Shaq, what about the showtime Lakers of the 1980s--Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdual Jabbar?

2. Booster2point0

Yes, and then tomorrow when he stops getting attention from this, he'll say that it was all Kobe's fault.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Shaq is a revisionist liar. Like a lot of famous people, he should just shut up sometimes. Too many athletes think people are stupid enough to believe everything that comes out of their mouths no matter how idiotic it is.

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I'm buying it. Not sure the Lakers will though. :D

Also, is it true that Phil Jackson never told them to get their act straight? Or is that something Phil Jackson wouldn't do regardless?

5. tofu--

tofu-- Member

...Dude's on crack.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

the zen master a puppetmaster?

didnt shaq recently diss kobe for not beating the celtics? sounds like bad blood, unless his "on the court" clause makes him techically right.

7. nickthejerk

nickthejerk Member

he needs to stop trying to get attention..

'tell me how my a$$ taste' was drawing the line

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

So I guess it was Phil idea for Kobe to tell the cops that Shaq cheats on his wife too. ;)

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did Phil also orchestrate things after he had retired and Shaq went to Miami? They were still bickering then and Shaq said a lot of bad things about Kobe and how Wade was so much better.

He just wants to go back to LA to ride coattails to get another ring.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Shaq and Bynum?

Also he broadcasted how he was hanging it up after his contract expires. Shows how good Shaq's word is

11. geekSnake

geekSnake Member

Shaq misses Kobe?

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Shaq has to come out from time to time to say something controversial just to get attention.

We should be quite familiar with this routine by now.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Crappy poll. Where is the "Shaq's an idiot" option?

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

Of course it wasn't real.

And that's why Shaq got his ar$e shipped out of there.....

15. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I only intended the question to consist of a yes or no answer. So far, the nos have a huge lead. If Shaq ever saw this poll, I would hope it would be enough to get his attention that he is being an idiot.

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I don't believe the zen man necessarily orchestrated it, but from what I've read from his book, Jackson did not really sit them both down together, instead he acted like a middle man, relaying what he heard from one to the other. Its worth noting that Jackson wanted to leave the lakers at that point, so he probably didnt do as much as he could have in terms of reconciling his two stars. IMO, the blame lies mostly with shaq and kobe, but a significant amount of blame should also be attributed to Jackson.

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Yea, I'm sure there is a real chance of that happening... and even if it shockingly did, I'm sure a handful of CF votes will alter his ego.

Delusional people. :rolleyes:

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think he's an idiot for participating in the feud, not for thinking Phil Jackson masterminded it. It does seem that Jackson abetted the feud, even if he didn't design it himself. He probably thought he got better production from both players due to the rivalry. But, how Shaq and Kobe can get themselves embroiled in such a childish and unprofessional spat is embarassing.

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I always said Phil should have stopped the insanity the minute it started. Jackson should be partly to blame for Shaq eventually being traded. In the 80's it was always rumors that Magic and Kareem didn't get along great but Pat Riley kept things in house and it didn't become a circus that Kobe-Shaq became.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I read Phil's book. He didn't seem fond at all of Kobe. Almost like he took Shaq's side. I mean, if you could hear some of the stories Phil talks about, Kobe the Drama Queen would be an understatement. I think Shaq is lying though. They had a problem with each other. They even took shots at each other through media interviews.