1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq drops the verbal beatdown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Parlett316, May 13, 2005.

1. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

NO WAY!!! He did not just say that!

LOL! That's awesome!

3. qrui

qrui Member

lol!

ps. link please.

4. Cesar^Geronimo

They were talking about this on Mike & Mike on ESPN radio this morning --- I love that show

5. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

LOL!

I love Shaq, he is just a big goofy kid:D

6. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/309229p-264599c.html

Diesel needs time to fill up his tank

WASHINGTON - Shaquille O'Neal wanted to make something crystal clear. His refusal to talk to the media since Saturday isn't because he's mad about losing the MVP to Steve Nash.

"Here's why I haven't been talking," he said. "I'm pissed off because I've been playing like Erick Dampier."

And clearly for O'Neal, that isn't good enough. So he did the smart thing, the best thing for Miami in the long run, if they are going to dethrone the Pistons. With a bad thigh reducing him to mere mortal status in these playoffs, he sat out last night's game against the Wizards and the Heat didn't miss a beat, winning, 102-95, to go up 3-0 in the conference semifinal series.

Some 10 hours earlier, Shaq broke his silence. During a walk down an empty hallway of the MCI Center before the Heat's morning shootaround, he admitted he had not watched the two games that had been televised the night before.

"I'm not a fan of basketball," he told the Daily News. "If I watch, it's only when my guys play."

He mentioned Tracy McGrady, LeBron James and Kevin Garnett, all by their nicknames.

"But otherwise," he said, "I don't watch."

By the sound of it, he wouldn't even bother watching himself, the way he's been struggling in the postseason with his thigh injury.

"It's killing me," he said. "I'm getting 16 points and seven rebounds. That's not me. You get those numbers from Dampier."

So you see, Dirk Nowitzki isn't the only one who takes shots at the big Maverick.

"Go ahead and quote me," Shaq said.

For four days, he had refused to comment on anything. Was it the second-place finish in the MVP? Was it his un-Diesel-like play?

Look at it his from his point of view. When Shaq puts up "Dampier numbers" in a series - about half of his career playoff production - you think he feels like talking?

"Sixteen points," he said. "That's usually a half for me."

So he took his 18 points and eight boards a game in these playoffs and took a seat on the bench, where he sported a tan suit instead of a red road uniform. Advantage, Wizards? Not exactly.

The Wizards didn't know what to do with the ultimate gift. Attack the basket? Go to a post-up game? No. They are what they are: a collection of jump-shooters. As Eddie Jordan admitted the other day, "We don't have that one guy we can post up who forces double-teams."

And it's also very clear they don't have the best perimeter player in this series. Beforehand, Jordan called Dwyane Wade "near-great."

Go ahead and drop the "near," Eddie.

In retrospect, the Wizards probably would have preferred to see Shaq play and Wade sit. One measure of greatness is when a player is faced with adversity, does he take it upon himself to pick up the slack? Wade did, hitting nine shots for 19 points, three assists and only two turnovers in 22 second-half minutes.

"Fabulous," coach Stan Van Gundy said. "I thought he was going to die out there. But as I told the guys in the huddle, 'We'll give you the day off so we can hold his funeral if he does.' Then we sent him back out on the floor."

As much as Wade has stepped up his game to Kobe-esque levels, he knows that even if his famous center hasn't been putting up big numbers, the Heat still needs Shaq in the long run.

"Even though Shaq is not the Shaq of old, because of his injury, teams are still aware of him," Wade said. "Just having him out there on the court - like Phoenix with Steve Nash - helps other guys out."

Funny that Wade should bring up Nash's name. After the Suns' playmaker won the MVP award in the fourth-closest balloting in history, some members of the Flat Earth Society tried to turn it into a racial issue.

Shaq wouldn't lower himself for that debate. He cares about the MVP about as much as he cares about Kobe Bryant.

"That trophy is not important to me," he said. "The MVP is like owning a condo inside of a big building. It's nice to own the condo. But I want to own the whole building."

Meaning, he wants the 2005 NBA championship trophy. This is why it's killing him that he can't perform at his best in these playoffs. But it also explains why, after 164 straight postseason games, he decided to sit down. Good move. It all goes back to how he ended his morning talk.

"Remember," he said, "I don't want to own just the condo."

Originally published on May 13, 2005

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Too hilarious. I've grown to like Shaq a lot more since he's left the Fakers.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Dampier wishes he could get those kinds of numbers. Try 6.6 pts and 6.9 boards a game for the playoffs.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, I about fell out of my chair this morning when they talked about it on Sportscenter. I don't really care too much for Shaq, but the dude does come up with some gems and this ranks right up there with the best of them.

I also can't help but feel that he took this dig at Dampier because he felt that Erick had "dissed" Yao. It has been well-documented on how Shaq wanted to really beat up on Yao when Yao first got here. However, I think Shaq has come to the realization that Yao is a very humble man who has incredible skills. Call me crazy but I believe that Shaq is sticking up for Yao here.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I sort of got an inkling of that too, Manny...

11. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

How can he not add Kobe Bryant to that list? He's awesome!

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I know Shaq repects Yao but he had more important reasons..

what Dampier said is an insult to a lot of better centers.. Amare, Ben Wallace, including Yao, etc.. especially to Shaq..

For Dampier to say that he's so good that hes at Shaq's level or Shaq's level is not all that and he's next is probably what irked Shaq the most..

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Got to love the big daddy when he is not playing your team.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Shaq has always been an articulate, funny guy. I don't see how people could not like him, he's never fake like alot of superstars are. He says what he feels like saying.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree.

16. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

My dad's coworker used to deliver pizzas and he actually delivered to both Shaq and Hakeem back in the mid nineties. Here's the interesting part: apparently Shaq is a really nice guy in person and Hakeem is an ******* and doesnt tip or something. I was shocked, and it was like 97 so I stuck with my guy. Blasphemous I know.

17. 4cwebb

4cwebb Contributing Member

High quality material from the Diesel. Thing is, even when Shaq "only" gets those numbers, he's still 100x more valuable than Dampier.

18. bigbodymoe

You misunderstood...

Shaq didn't mean that Kobe is not on the level of those guys (Lebron, KG, T-Mac), he meant that he ONLY watches games in which the "guys I care about" play, meaning the players he likes or has a personal relationship with. Shaq is McGrady's mentor pretty much, and him and T-Mac are real close friends.

Earlier this season, McGrady even said that Shaq called him up after one game very early in the season and told him "Stop playing like a b****!":D

Gotta love Shaq, whether he is your opponent or on your team, I just like him for his person. There is not a fake bone in his body, he speaks his mind and understand better than anyone else apparently that the NBA is an entertainment, so he tries to give the audience the best performance possible, on and off the court.

Shaq & Yao, btw, are good friends now as well. I wouldn't be surprised at ALL if he was taking up for Yao in making fun of Dampier. I don't think it is only Yao, probably he is including Amare and Duncan and Mourning and others on that list. But regardless, ONLY Shaq could have blasted Dampier like that, he is the only person that has earned enough respect/success to shut that idiot Dampier up. And I am very glad he did:D

BTW, how many players in this league have earned their nicknames from Shaq? I know three players: Paul Pierce (The Truth), Tim Duncan (Big Fundamental), Wade (Flash). Do you know any more?

19. bigbodymoe

Hakeem was a very nice guy in his private life, just because he doesn't tip as big as Shaq does doesn't mean he is an azzhole:rolleyes:

20. bigbodymoe

Somebody needs to do a book that is a compilation of all of Shaq's quotes. I wonder who will jump on that first...