1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bonomaniac, May 25, 2003.

1. Darth West

Darth West Member

Shane Battier is a player whos contribution you just can't judge on his stats. To me he is the ultimate role player bringning a great attitude, defense, energy while being a decent offensively when asked to play that role.

He would probably be great for the rockets, not that it matters as you'll be hard pressed to find any trade scenario between Memphis and Huston that works for both teams.

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Losing Mobley and gaining Battier would be better than most think. While you'll probably lose 6-8 points on the offensive end, the Rockets will be a much better defensive team, especially with the arrival of either LB or JVG. I don't think those 6-8 points matter much, Yao and Griffin should pick up those lost points, easily.

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Hey Sam,

I'll make you this trade with ya'. What do you say?

Houston sends Mobley/Moochie to Memphis.

Memphis sends Battier/Knight to Houston.

And, if you feel you are taking advantage of me, you can send me a future #1 draft pick (you set the conditions).

4. Bonomaniac

Bonomaniac Member

How about Cuttino and a newly signed Otis Thorpe for Battier and a future #1 ;)

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Unfair trade in my favor, you could have Yao and Steve if I was able to get rid of Moochie.

In seriousness, it would depend on if I could re-sign Posey or not. If I would hten he renders Battier superfluous, unless you wanted him to play guard, which I don't, as the quicker SG's in the conference would (and have, witness kobe) light him up.

#25 SamFisher, May 26, 2003
    Last edited: May 26, 2003
  6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

How about putting Posey at guard & Battier at SF?

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I would do it, but I don't think Memphis would do it. Although they mightnot be enamored with Battier, I don't think they really want to get a guy like Mobley.

8. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I would like to remind you that Mario Elie wasn't a guy who showed up in the stat sheets much but was solid role player and became a star when he had too.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Don't let the steals and blocks fool you, Battier is at best an average defender in the NBA and neither the defender Posey or Mobley is. Battier gets chewed up by quicker swingman, that is why he plays less minutes than Mobley and about the same as Posey does despite playing on a much crappier team in desperate need for quality swingmen.

I don't think it is lack of BB IQ or effort however--Battier just is slow for a NBA 2 or 3. But he does do a lot of things well.

I'd take Swift and Battier for Mobley and Boki though.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Right, and Mario was a veteran who came up from the CBA and Overseas leagues by way of US International, not the college player of the year coming out of Duke.

Look, I'm not saying Battier is bad. I'm just saying he's not that good, and hasn't doen anything in the NBA to show otherwise.